TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 144: More entertainment coming back across WDW!

I know plenty of people that have visited during that time of the year and enjoyed it.  You have to govern your expectations and it sounds like you're already doing that.  If you're looking to save travel time and you're not worried about money, stay at the resorts closest to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, or Studios.  Same goes for the virtual queue options: spend the money if you have it.

2 hours ago, Redlegs said:

Being presented with an opportunity to take a trip to Disney World December 24-27th. The plan would be to probably just hit three of the parks on these days (likely excluding AK). Recalling what I have heard about this being the absolute busiest time/week of the year, is there any actual way to make this an enjoyable trip? I have concerns from what I have heard that crowd levels have the potential to make this miserable. I am hopeful the imminent roll out of the lightning lane would provide some relief.

I would look to stay on property to alleviate some of the travel (and gain some perks?), but unsure on where (also know some places are booked up now). Looking for suggestions/tips on how to best manage a trip during this time. Anyone been successful in being able to have an enjoyable trip during this time or is this a suicide mission that I should just not schedule at all in the first place?

The only thing working in your favor is that there are park reservations now but the cap seems to be very high. The days of this...

... may be over but it's going to be slammed.

Magic Kingdom is sold out on Halloween, I guess check the wait times that day to get an idea of what you can expect. That said, you may not want to wait that long to decide as Magic Kingdom is already sold out for Christmas day.

My other bit of advice for making the trip more enjoyable is to not skip Animal Kingdom since it's the best park at WDW resort. Sorry, not sorry. 😜

5 hours ago, coasterbill said:

My other bit of advice for making the trip more enjoyable is to not skip Animal Kingdom since it's the best park at WDW resort. Sorry, not sorry. 😜

Confused The Interview GIF

I said what I said 😂 

I’m not trying to be different just to be edgy or anything, I just absolutely believe that. As far as theming goes, I don’t think the other parks even come close and I doubt that’s even really a hot take. In terms of attractions, we probably like it so much because we also love animals and animal exhibits. It’s a very chill park. It’s gorgeous. Flight of Passage *might* be my favorite ride at WDW, Everest is awesome, Safari is great, I love Dinosaur and River Journey. The shows are fun and we love the animals. They don’t have a ton of rides but the ones they do have are bangers.

Also, Yak and Yeti

… and naked mole rats

… and green beer

… and that delicious blue shit

… and the best bathroom on property that’s not Tangled per Brit’s official rankings

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

and that delicious blue shit

.... you mean this?

Screenshot_20211018-200906.thumb.png.b8580b647954779e12e60d17afcd4330.png

Yeah, my wife was not a fan lol

... but she also likes Olive Garden, so there's that....

PS: Oh, and flight of passage is just mediocre. That's something we both can agree upon. Then again that might be because we rode Rise of the Resistance the day before. I know, completely different, but still...

Edited by anonymouscactus
English no good. And more thoughts.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I love Dinosaur.

I've never been on it, but don't most people usually crap on this ride for some reason? I've only seen povs so can't really fully judge until I've ridden it in person, but I'm not seeing where all the hate comes from.

People crap on it because it’s the same ride system as Indiana Jones and Indiana Jones is a better ride. That’s true, but it’s also like saying “I’ve been on Rise of the Resistance so now I refuse to enjoy any other trackless dark rides”. 

I’m not saying it’s the best ride in the park or anything but it’s good and I would argue very underrated.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Garet said:

I've never been on it, but don't most people usually crap on this ride for some reason? I've only seen povs so can't really fully judge until I've ridden it in person, but I'm not seeing where all the hate comes from.

one of my favorite Disney Rides.

I absolutely prefer it to Indiana Jones. . . which is odd, as Bill says, it's the same ride system.

I think it gets crapped on because it's located in the "crappiest" area of Animal Kingdom:  the cheapie Dynotiopia area. . but now that Primeval Whirl is gone, maybe the area will get a refresh and not look like carnival rides in a Disney Park.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, coasterbill said:

People crap on it because it’s the same ride system as Indiana Jones and Indiana Jones is a better ride. That’s true, but it’s also like saying “I’ve been on Rise of the Resistance so now I refuse to enjoy any other trackless dark rides”. 

I’m not saying it’s the best ride in the park or anything but it’s good and I would argue very underrated.

It'll probably end up being my favorite just because it seems like the last Disney ride that will strike terror into unsuspecting children and parents when they see the T Rex inhaling all of the other smaller dinosaurs. Or did I miss it already? Have they toned it down?

I actually think it was brilliant of Disney to take the same ride system AND 'track route' and overlay it with an entirely different story, theme, etc. etc. They did it with Tower of Terror in DCA. They're doing it with Rock'n'Roller Coaster in Disney Paris' Walt Disney Studios. Now whether the ch-ch-change is good. I'll have to eventually ride Dinosaur myself, as I haven't had the epic opportunity ....yet. 😀

But I have ridden the Tokyo DisneySea version a number of times. The entry queue is changed. There are no (Um... Spoiler Alert?) three doors to "choose one" and ride through, etc. And they put in a Smoke Ring effect, I'll just mention here. And the exit is pretty quick, too.

And by the way... isn't there a thread somewhere in here, for Animal Kingdom, etc? Just asking. EDIT: Found it, and BUMPed it.

And Bert? ^^ I have Blue Sky hopes & dreams, for that actual wooden coaster (called "The Excavator," I remember?) they originally planned for that "Land." To take the place(s) of Primeval Whirl(s).

ExcavatorArtworkDAK.png.e27d9f9a35ef598352907b9f618f30ec.png

Here's the artwork I remember seeing - Boneyard w/"The Excavator" coaster in the back.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, coasterbill said:

Flight of Passage *might* be my favorite ride at WDW

Full disclosure, I've not been to WDW since 2009 so I've not seen any of the updates or the entire Avatar area, but HUH?!  You're probably one of those wackadoos that thinks Soarin' is some pinnacle of entertainment, as well.  Just to clarify, I'm mostly kidding.  Soarin' sucks donkey doo, though.

20 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

I actually think it was brilliant of Disney to take the same ride system AND 'track route' and overlay it with an entirely different story, theme, etc. etc. They did it with Tower of Terror in DCA. They're doing it with Rock'n'Roller Coaster in Disney Paris' Walt Disney Studios. Now whether the ch-ch-change is good. I'll have to eventually ride Dinosaur myself, as I haven't had the epic opportunity ....yet. 😀

But I have ridden the Tokyo DisneySea version a number of times. The entry queue is changed. There are no (Um... Spoiler Alert?) three doors to "choose one" and ride through, etc. And they put in a Smoke Ring effect, I'll just mention here. And the exit is pretty quick, too.

The TDS Indy is wonderful.  They made juuuuust enough minor changes to make the ride flow better.  My only gripe is they removed any and all fire effects that Disneyland's version had though it's actually for the better because Disneyland can't keep those effects working for more than ten minutes at a time.

^You have to ride Flight of Passage. I get what you're thinking and how you're seeing it, I was the same way.  It's a simulator where I wear glasses and get sprayed in the face with water, what is this Universal!!? But it's just the most incredible ride and puts to shame every other simulator and most other rides! It's incredibly immersive and the movement of the simulator is incredible. 

• Like 2

^ So I've heard and I'm really excited to ride it eventually but it's still a simulator.  A (probably) great simulator, yes, but to be better than every other ride at WDW?  I'm finding that difficult to believe.

29 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

^ So I've heard and I'm really excited to ride it eventually but it's still a simulator.  A (probably) great simulator, yes, but to be better than every other ride at WDW?  I'm finding that difficult to believe.

Seeing is believing

I don't care about Soarin' at all. I probably wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for it. The rides seriously aren't comparable at all. They're both simulators in the same way that El Toro and a Zamperla Volare are both roller coasters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I haven't been to WDW since 2012, so haven't gotten to experience any of the New Fantasyland stuff in MK nor any of Pandora at AK. My favorite ride at AK, though, is definitely Dinosaur. I've never been on the Indiana Jones ride (my last visit to DL was 1991); can't draw a comparison to a ride I've never been on, so Dinosaur was my first impression of that type of Disney ride and I loved it!

I can't wait to compare Indy to Dinosaur. Last went on Dinosaur about 7 years ago. Rode Indy for the first time at the end of August and going back to WDW in December. My eyes loved everything about Indy, of course it's one of my all time favorite movies since it's about the coolest history teacher in the world 😉 my neck on the other hand was cranky for several weeks after the ride, so we will see how Dino goes. Sucks getting older.