TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

^^ Well I see it as; when you're on a ride you really have no control over if you are safe or not, it's all on the ride operations. So if you get hurt it's the parks fault. With the nacho cheese, however, once it is in their hands the park isn't really not reliable for it. That's like being inside a building when there is a tornado; if you stay inside you should be safe but once you step outside of the building it's not the buildings responsibility anyone to keep you safe...if that makes sense.

FYI - I posted a picture of the damage to the boy from the incident on the first post of this thread. If this is a actual picture of the boy, I think it helps convey the issue at hand regarding what ultra hot cheese can do.

I Have a permanent swell to one side of my bottom lip for deciding it was a good idea to unplug a running fan by using my mouth to unplug the cord from the extension cord it was plugged in to when i was like, 2 or 3 years old

Did my parents sue? Naw, quick trip to the emergency room and a life lesson learned that electricity = fun stuff

My point? Kids get hurt all the time, sometimes badly - it's happened to me, it's not a reason to sue, just a life lesson learned.

'sides, i still randomly scald myself with boiling water/Coffee all the time, but it's not like i sue the gas station for serving hot coffee because i hurt myself, i just suck it up and move on, S*** happens.

My 2c

^^ Well I see it as; when you're on a ride you really have no control over if you are safe or not, it's all on the ride operations. So if you get hurt it's the parks fault. With the nacho cheese, however, once it is in their hands the park isn't really not reliable for it. That's like being inside a building when there is a tornado; if you stay inside you should be safe but once you step outside of the building it's not the buildings responsibility anyone to keep you safe...if that makes sense.

I would still tend to argue here that this is different. Forgetting for a moment our napalm-like cheese, this isn't like the child pulled it off of a strangers table, but rather off the serving counter. It is my contention that if Disney is going to be serving such a hot item that they should have taken additional precautions knowing that small children could easily reach up and grab the tray. That might have been as simple as calling the order with the cheese and simply keeping it out of reach until the people got up there. Additionally the bigger question here is the temperature of the cheese and whether or not that was extreme.I like hot food as much as the next person, but I shouldn't have to be concerned that if I drip a little on my unprotected skin I'm going to require skin graft.

I Have a permanent swell to one side of my bottom lip for deciding it was a good idea to unplug a running fan by using my mouth to unplug the cord from the extension cord it was plugged in to when i was like, 2 or 3 years old

Did my parents sue? Naw, quick trip to the emergency room and a life lesson learned that electricity = fun stuff

My point? Kids get hurt all the time, sometimes badly - it's happened to me, it's not a reason to sue, just a life lesson learned.

Again this seems like a very different situation. The fan wasn't defective in any way, shape, or form. You made the mistake and really there is no liability on the part of the fan maker. I'll be the first person to tell you that terrible accidents happen all the time in which there is nobody in the world that can or should be sued. If you had turned the fan on and electricity began to arc off of the blades, and you got hit by a stray bolt of electricity coming from the fan (pretty cool visual isn't it!) then you would have a pretty good chance of recovery. Accidents do happen and in your case it seems like there was nothing more than an unfortunate accident.

I do want to state that I'm not trying to start any fights, I'm just doing my best to offer a slightly different view point on the matter.

I do want to state that I'm not trying to start any fights, I'm just doing my best to offer a slightly different view point on the matter.

You mean a legal point of view? Like, one that actually matters in the court of law? How dare you

Just because it's a legal point of view, does not nessesaraly(sp) make it right.

"This is the second lawsuit filed against Disney this week. On Monday, a quadriplegic visitor at Disneyland filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles following an evacuation issue on the It's A Small World ride alleging the Walt Disney Co. "violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by failing to have adequate evacuation procedures for visitors with mobility disabilities,"

On this, I was talking to my BF about it. He said there is no specific walkway to help people off. All they can do is push the boats until they get into the main area.

Does this mean that everyone (abled and disabled, alike) had to wait to be evacuated? What would they do if the building caught fire or someone planted a bomb?

Again this seems like a very different situation. The fan wasn't defective in any way, shape, or form. You made the mistake and really there is no liability on the part of the fan maker. I'll be the first person to tell you that terrible accidents happen all the time in which there is nobody in the world that can or should be sued. If you had turned the fan on and electricity began to arc off of the blades, and you got hit by a stray bolt of electricity coming from the fan (pretty cool visual isn't it!) then you would have a pretty good chance of recovery. Accidents do happen and in your case it seems like there was nothing more than an unfortunate accident.

How is it a different situation? Mine was me being an overly curious annoyed youth, and hurting myself in turn on a normal item that wasnt defective

The kid in the article hurt himself with his food (that was supposed to be hot) because he grabbed the food tray (there's a lot of detail left out here, did he grab it from his parents and knock it over? did he move it too fast off a table? did it break when he grabbed it? etc.)

"Different" only in terms of what happened, both are just examples of unfortunate accidents, the kid will recover, just as i did, he'll just have a scar and possibly a "Burning" hatred for nachos the rest of his life

I do get your point, though, but, it's not too far off in legalese.

-Devious "I'm going to hell for that" R.

• 3 weeks later...
This spring will see the last Grad Nite celebrations at Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World announced Wednesday.

Disney World says the increase in theme park attendance in the spring has made scheduling the after-hours, separate-ticket event for high school seniors increasingly difficult. As an alternative, Disney will offer Florida school groups a special one-day, one-park ticket for $55 valid any time during the year.

"Over the years, we've signficantly increased the frequency and types of programming offered specifically for students," Walt Disney World spokeswoman Andrea Finger said. Sports competitions, performing art workshops, festivals and educational programs give students access to Disney "virtually any time of the year," she said.

Read the rest of the article here

Makes you wonder if DLR will follow suit in a couple years.

Edited by jedimaster1227

How about a special high price event in one of the parks for adults 21+ only? That sounds plausible and has potential to make some money from those of us who may like to enjoy the parks in a more adult-friendly atmosphere. Of course, I have no idea how many people in the real world would pay $100 or more for this sort of thing to stay up all night. Just a dream right here.

What is Grad Night?

Magic Kingdom and for a year or two DHS the park would close early for day guests and open up again at 9 pm for graduating high school seniors,the event with concerts,fireworks and dance parties would last until 5am.Some schools that came from nearby might only go to the park for Grad Nite,if a school came from a bit further away they might stay for 2-3 days.When I went we left our school in Miami around 1pm ,got to Medieval Times for the dinner show at 6pm and then to MK where there was probably 1000 buses along with our 15 or so so the park is crowded.We left at 5am and were unconscious unti we hit a service plaza in St.Lucie county for breakfast.Disney should create a hard ticket event where adults can wreak havoc and pretend they're back in high school,I doubt it'll happen but I would go.