TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

It makes a huge amount of sense that Toontown Fair is out the door. Everyone wants to see Mickey, Minnie, and Donald, and keeping them in the very back of the park where no one can find them doesn't quite work.

Just going by these two pictures, the reality of the project *seems* much tighter in space than the artwork. Maybe it's just me though.

Remember, that aerial shot doesn't include the Toontown fair area, which as of now is generally untouched and accessible by guests.

I really hope it's not a standard Mack e-motion coaster. Not one of us who's been on one on various TPR Trips could actually notice any 'swinging' or 'tilting' or anything.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed to say the least when I went on an E-motion coaster. Besides, I thought Disney almost exclusively dealt with Vekoma nowadays anyway, so unless I'm wrong we'll get some new ride type or a heavily modified family coaster?

Dave

Just going by these two pictures, the reality of the project *seems* much tighter in space than the artwork. Maybe it's just me though.

I agree, it does look really cramped in there, but im sure it will still turn out fine.

The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is really similar to a CTR someone made for Rct3 a couple years ago:

www.dasmatze.de/rct/page.php?76

Think of it as a suspended coaster, where the car can freely swing back and forth. I'm guessing the ride will be something along those lines.

This is what I was thinking it would be. You could have a lot of fun with a wacky track design with outward banking and over-banks.

Heres the pic for those that the site isnt working for:

SwingingMine.thumb.jpg.b335caf876e13cbc219402aad4af4f22.jpg

Though I hope their cars hold 4-6 people each and not 2, Haha

I really hope it's not a standard Mack e-motion coaster. Not one of us who's been on one on various TPR Trips could actually notice any 'swinging' or 'tilting' or anything.

There's a reason Mack only sold 2 of these.

The only sensation I felt on the one in Helsinki was "irritation." I hope it isn't one of these, either--unless it's been drastically improved. I like the idea for the coaster, though, as long as it improves on Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Here is another article off the Disney Park Blog with a little more info:

Update on New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on January 18th, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

984371165_WaltDisneyWorldreleasedartistrenderingsoftheexpansionofFantasylandTuesday.Theprojectisthel-mhistory.Moredetailswillbereleasedtongithduringamediaevent..jpg.714197807e5b38d03f96a7a7b788c76a.jpg

As many of you know, we’re in the midst of the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, which will nearly double the size of Fantasyland. And we’re thrilled about the expansion because it’ll allow us to tell our treasured stories in new ways and give you the opportunity to interact with some of our beloved characters like never before. Today, we’d like to give you a first glimpse of the progress we’re making in bringing these stories to life and a look at some of the art will be sharing with the media later tonight.

fantasyland-rendering7.jpg.6148737c6897524c1ccacc74b973baa6.jpg

First, work is already well underway on many of the experiences we’ve already told you about, so let’s start with Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid. In this attraction, Ariel and all her friends will entertain you in a ride-through adventure featuring favorite songs from the popular animated feature.

Not too far from Ariel’s new home, construction is underway on Beast’s castle which will stand majestically upon a hill. You will cross over a stone bridge as you arrive at Be Our Guest Restaurant. Set in the halls of the Beast’s Castle, this location will seat up to 550 guests and offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Just outside the restaurant, you will also be able to explore Belle’s Village, which includes Gaston’s Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.

Nearby at Belle’s cottage, a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of experience, where Belle, Lumiere and guests participate in a lively re-telling of the “tale as old as time.” In Enchanted Tales with Belle, the adventure begins at Maurice’s cottage, where you’ll step through an enchanted mirror that magically transports you to Beast’s library for an interactive storytelling session with Belle.

fantasyland-rendering8.jpg.5118a259feaf1cb41ea41fee82cb45ab.jpg

Just across the way is the brand new Storybook Circus, where we’re doubling the fun by adding another carousel to Dumbo the Flying Elephant. While you wait to board this Fantasyland favorite, you’ll have a chance to join the circus and step inside the Big Top for fun-filled interactive experiences for kids of all ages. Alongside Dumbo the Flying Elephant, the existing Barnstormer is getting a new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. This exciting attraction will take you on a twisting, turning, daredevil, roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

fantasyland-rendering2.jpg.802c497cf56ec22f3ca37889cc8d53b1.jpg

As with any project of this scale, we’ve also continued to look for additional ways to surprise and delight our guests and I think you’ll be pleased. One opportunity we’re especially excited about is the chance to tell Snow White’s story in a fresh new way. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take you on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth as they whisk along the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.

Our other Disney princesses will also be getting a new home (actually, they prefer to call it a castle) in the all new Princess Fairytale Hall. Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses.

And Tinkerbell and her fairy friends will be joining the cast at Epcot where they will have special roles bringing the flora and fauna to life during the Flower and Garden Festival.

The New Fantasyland will be constructed in phases with most new experiences open by 2013. We look forward to sharing more with you as our work progresses.

Disney Parks Blog

I don't really care much for WDW's Fantasyland, and usually only go to Mickey's Philharmagic when I'm there. I'm excited for these changes, even though the construction walls will be annoying.

Too bad they don't serve alcohol. I would have enjoyed having a beer at Gaston's Tavern.

This whole plan just seems like Disney's attempt to one-up Universal's Harry Potter land. Looking forward to the coaster hopefully it will turn out to be good as Magic Kingdom's last "Thrill Ride" was what? (If you can consider anything there a thrill ride)

Not entirely. Apparently, Toontown Fair was never intended to be developed in the way it is now. It was created initially as Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988, in celebration of his creation sixty years earlier. They themed it as sort of a "vacation" home for the characters who normally lived in Toontown in Disneyland.

Because character meet-and-greets are so high in demand, it's virtually worthless to keep Mickey and friends locked up in the way back of the park. I've heard (read?) a rumor going around that the characters will have a meet-and-greet somewhere else in the park, but I'm not sure if it's true or complete bull.

So does this mean that the Toontown Fair is being integrated into Fantasy land? I guess I didn't quite catch where it may have mentioned it, just that the Toontown Fair was being closed off. Also, judging the pictures, it looks as though they are going to alter Barnstormer a bit, no?

-Gary

Edit - Finally spotted it, Forget what I just said.

Edited by carolinacaniac