TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I must say that I love the new retro poster advertising the sound system. Retro 1950's/60's future is so much cooler and fun than the current vision of the future!

stars.thumb.jpg.b3392352b44e52e3e4db498324ff5287.jpg

Retro Space Mountain is so cool! And I love the whole "space tourism" airline-type thing instead of something cold and impersonal.

I was actually able to run over to the Magic Kingdom after class to try out Space Mountain with the new audio.

Having just ridden Disneyland's version of the popular ride (multiple times) during my California trip, I was convinced that the West Coast version of the ride has just slightly bested our ride thanks to its audio and quality projections. After riding Florida's Space Mountain today, I can honestly say that we are once again on top, without much contest. The new audio is just that--its brand new. Best described as a "rave in space," the new audio is triggered by each train's passing, making for a more personal audio experience, although the groovy backtrack (with an ominous sounding "Space. Space. Space Moutain" DJ'd into the track) runs overhead so that the entire dome is engulfed in sound.

It used to be that in space, everyone could hear you scream. Now, all you hear is a fantastic, catchy audio track that you can't help but bounce to as you fly out of your seat.

^^I'm SO happy to hear that! I've always liked WDWs layout better than Disneyland's, but the audio fit so well that I always gave it the slight advantage (except during that "Rockin'" session) and was pretty disappointed that the Magic Kingdom version wouldn't have audio when it returned last November. Now I'm really excited to get back to Florida next year to experience the new Space Mountain!

I'm actually kind of happy to hear that it's more of an ambient track instead of speakers bolted onto the ride. While the Disney sound system works better than any other onride coaster sound system out there, I've always felt that it's really LOUD in your face (or in your ears, I guess.)

Don't get me wrong, I actually really do like the audio on all three Space Mountain's that have them, the two Rock N Roller Coasters, and Screamin', but I'm kind of happy to hear that this is a bit different, but equally as effective.

Maybe we'll see something like this happen on Toyko's Space Mountain?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I rode Space Mountain last night with the new audio and I have to say that I'm not a fan. The dome now sounds like a big techno mash up; there's just so much noise in there now.

I thought our Space Mountain was just fine the way it was, but whatever I still love the ride

I think that the new soundtrack is pretty nice! It has a good beat that you could dance to. Although it's not fully orchestrated (I do love a good orchestral piece), I think that this soundtrack will work very effectively with the ride without really adding too much of a 'plot', so to speak, as the Disneyland soundtrack seems to do. The 'tag' at the end that they borrowed from Disneyland at the end of the piece does a nice job at tying the ride back to the whole 'Space Mountain brand' (and the fact that that particular theme is played on the exit ramp!) while allowing the song (and the ride) to maintain it's uniqueness.But most importantly, it's simple and catchy, and really, that's all that it needs to be for people to enjoy it.

Judging from what I've been hearing about the new sound, it sounds like (no pun attended) the music is coming from speakers placed from around the track's layout and not from speakers inside the car. Now why couldn't Six Flags Magic Mountain have done that with their Terminator: Salvation ride?

"I hate lying on the bed and being all alone. I need someone's head to lie upon me.

The more I see and read about Star Port 75's new audio, the more I wish that perhaps Star Port 77 would do something similar. Don't get me wrong- I consider DL to be my home park, and I'm looking forward to GG next month... but the audio on the trains is enough to cause a hemmorage due to the volume. If I want an ear-ache, I'll go find a Vekoma SLC.

The way it was announced out is, by FAR, the best thing I've seen in a long time from Disney as far as promotion of an attraction is concerned. Using the '1955 DL style poster and graphics' fits so well with the re-themed Star Port 75's theming. If there were any way to go back and 'plus' the existing Star Ports, I'd be first in line to do so- there is something timeless and historical about the way Disney did the revisions to the original that really does shield it from being 'outdated'.

Kudos to Disney for making sure that their famous Mountain doesn't go flat!

R.D.

Hi, just for the record, I'm brand new here, so don't mind any stupid posts for my first couple weeks of membership!

I haven't been to Disney since '03 or '04, and I'll say, I remember Space Mountain as being one of the original coasters I've ever ridden, and the most I remember was running rampant in the dark.

Still, the next time budget allows a trip to Orlando, I'll definetly be sure to put Space Mountain down on what to ride on my trip!

• 1 month later...