TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

^^The Main Street Electrical Parade: A nightime spectacular that entertained huge crowds for many years.

Spectromagic: A massive mistake with disturbing elf-like characters that really annoyed people for about a year.

Thanks! Haha so I'll take it this is an improvement, the only parade I ever take time to watch is the Boo to you Halloween Parade. I guess workin at animal kingdom and watching the awful Jammin in the Jungle parade kinda ruined my interest in parades forever.

I actually love SpectroMagic, but that may have a lot to do with seeing it for the first time with my kids, and the looks on their faces.

I saw Main Street Electrical Parade in 1978, when I was 10. I was absolutely in awe of it. Looking forward to seeing it again, through a parent's eyes.

This is great!! I never really cared for SpectroMagic. Even though the Electrical Parade was all wrong for DCA, I always tried to see it when it was running there. It's such a classic Disney parade. Can't wait to see it back on Main Street where it belongs!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-fantasyland-contractors-20100225,0,3992160.story

Walt Disney World has picked a pair of construction firms to lead an overhaul of the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland section, the biggest-yet expansion of Disney's oldest and busiest theme park.

Disney has hired Barton Malow Co. of Southfield, Mich., and Birmingham, Ala.-based Hoar Construction LLC as general contractors on the Fantasyland project. They will oversee the work alongside Disney's own Buena Vista Construction Co.

Disney expects to break ground on the project this spring. Plans call for a major new ride based on The Little Mermaid, an expanded Dumbo ride, and elaborate sub-areas devoted to some of Disney's most popular princesses, along with new restaurants and shops.

With Universal Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter scheduled to open in a matter of weeks following more than two years of construction, Disney's Fantasyland overhaul would take over as the largest construction project in local theme parks.

Disney says it expects to open the expanded Fantasyland in stages, beginning in 2012 with the Mermaid ride and the princess attractions. A second phase, anchored by a Pixie Hollow area featuring Tinker Bell and other Disney fairies, will open in 2013. Disney has dubbed the new area of Fantasyland "Fantasy Forest."

Both companies selected to be general contractors have Orlando offices and have done extensive work in the area.

Barton Malow's local projects range from Lockhart Middle School to baggage carousels at Orlando International Airport. Hoar's local projects include Thornton Park Central, the condo-and-retail project in downtown Orlando, and SoDo, a larger condo-retail project south of downtown.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2010/03/03/musical-summer-nightastic-events-added-at-disney-world/

In addition to the Main Street Electrical Parade returning, new effects for Tower of Terror and new fireworks show we previously told you about as park of Walt Disney World’s Summer Nightastic, some more events were announced.

A Rock N’ Glow Dance Party will be held in the courtyard of Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Sizzling summer sounds will be spun by DJs.

More high-energy music presented by DJs will get guests’ toes a-tapping during a Magic Kingdom street party.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

Summer Nightastic! at Walt Disney World begins a limited engagement at Walt Disney World on June 6. The celebration will continue through August 14.

August 14th is the end of summer? When I was kid my family would drive all the way down to WDW once every 4 or 5 years and all but the last year (1990) we stayed at Ft. Wilderness; stayed at Disney Villas in '90...anyways- We would also visit about two weeks before school started in Buffalo, NY which would have put us into late August. It was great- the lines were manageable, the seasonal entertainment such as fireworks and light parades were still running.

A few years ago my parents took my sister and her kids down there are that time and it was a mess! Only one park per day was opened late and that made it packed. It is really too bad that Disney has forgotten the wonderful world of late summer- not quite into the shoulder season- still "festive"

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2010/03/03/musical-summer-nightastic-events-added-at-disney-world/

In addition to the Main Street Electrical Parade returning, new effects for Tower of Terror and new fireworks show we previously told you about as park of Walt Disney World’s Summer Nightastic, some more events were announced.

A Rock N’ Glow Dance Party will be held in the courtyard of Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Sizzling summer sounds will be spun by DJs.

More high-energy music presented by DJs will get guests’ toes a-tapping during a Magic Kingdom street party.

That makes more seance as to why they had a full street party at the test for the virtual queue system last year. Time will tell if Animal Kingdom gets something for Summer Nightastic, as they are the only park left out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/2010/05/10/details-on-summer-nightastic-tower-of-terror-enhancements-fireworks/

We finally have details on what guests can expect when the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios debuts a special ride experience for Summer Nightastic!, from the Mickey Monitor passholder publication:

As part of Summer Nightastic!, Walt Disney Imagineers came up with even more unexpected thrills in the Hollywood Tower Hotel! If you listen closely, you can hear the distant rumble of thunder, not to mention the giggles from the disembodied voice of a child. New lighting and sound effects will add to the new experience, bringing Guests into the eerie halls of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. Throughout the summer, you’ll find the eerie blue lights and lightning crashing around The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It’s your chance to take your summer fun to a whole new dimension!

Details have also emerged on the “Summer Nightastic! Fireworks Spectacular”, also from the latest Mickey Monitor newsletter:

“Summer nights are so special there’s no better word for them than ‘Nightastic!,’” said Chris Oyen, Show Director, Walt Disney Entertainment. “Nighttime adds mystery, romance and magic. That’s what we hear Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother tell us when the Summer Nightastic! fireworks spectacular begins.”

Drawn to the magic

“When they hear this, Aurora’s Godmothers— Flora, Fauna and Merryweather—are drawn to the magic,” Chris said. “They help the Magic Kingdom® skies burst with fireworks in perfect synch with great Disney songs.”

It all reaches the height of excitement when Captain Hook and his pirate crew try to capture Cinderella Castle and it may look as if they’ve blown off parts of the magical structure! Will Tinker Bell arrive in time to save the day, or should we say, the night?

Only for a limited time this summer!

“We’ve re-imagined new magic from something that only a select few were able to experience before,” said Chris, referring to the much-loved “Magic, Music and Mayhem.” From those sparkling roots, Chris is delighted that he and the Walt Disney Entertainment team are now able to bring Summer Nightastic! fireworks spectacular to a new level and to a larger audience, including Passholders like you.

“Night after night, there will be more opportunities to see our ‘perimeter fireworks,’ the ones that surround the Park. Those are usually limited to holidays and specially ticketed events. But they’ll all be there to see, hear and feel—especially for these special summer nights. Because like we said, they’re ‘Nightastic!’”

Edited by jedimaster1227

http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/2010/05/10/details-on-summer-nightastic-tower-of-terror-enhancements-fireworks/

We finally have details on what guests can expect when the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios debuts a special ride experience for Summer Nightastic!, from the Mickey Monitor passholder publication:

As part of Summer Nightastic!, Walt Disney Imagineers came up with even more unexpected thrills in the Hollywood Tower Hotel! If you listen closely, you can hear the distant rumble of thunder, not to mention the giggles from the disembodied voice of a child. New lighting and sound effects will add to the new experience, bringing Guests into the eerie halls of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. Throughout the summer, you’ll find the eerie blue lights and lightning crashing around The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It’s your chance to take your summer fun to a whole new dimension!

Details have also emerged on the “Summer Nightastic! Fireworks Spectacular”, also from the latest Mickey Monitor newsletter:

“Summer nights are so special there’s no better word for them than ‘Nightastic!,’” said Chris Oyen, Show Director, Walt Disney Entertainment. “Nighttime adds mystery, romance and magic. That’s what we hear Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother tell us when the Summer Nightastic! fireworks spectacular begins.”

Drawn to the magic

“When they hear this, Aurora’s Godmothers— Flora, Fauna and Merryweather—are drawn to the magic,” Chris said. “They help the Magic Kingdom® skies burst with fireworks in perfect synch with great Disney songs.”

It all reaches the height of excitement when Captain Hook and his pirate crew try to capture Cinderella Castle and it may look as if they’ve blown off parts of the magical structure! Will Tinker Bell arrive in time to save the day, or should we say, the night?

Only for a limited time this summer!

“We’ve re-imagined new magic from something that only a select few were able to experience before,” said Chris, referring to the much-loved “Magic, Music and Mayhem.” From those sparkling roots, Chris is delighted that he and the Walt Disney Entertainment team are now able to bring Summer Nightastic! fireworks spectacular to a new level and to a larger audience, including Passholders like you.

“Night after night, there will be more opportunities to see our ‘perimeter fireworks,’ the ones that surround the Park. Those are usually limited to holidays and specially ticketed events. But they’ll all be there to see, hear and feel—especially for these special summer nights. Because like we said, they’re ‘Nightastic!’”

So, it seems as if Summer Nightastic is merely a rebadge of the Pirate and Princess party fireworks at the Magic Kingdom?

Don't get me wrong, they're probably my favorite ones at the park, but... I was hoping for something a bit... more.

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/carrousel-name-change-at-walt-disney-world/

A quick update to share tonight…our antique carrousel ride in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom Park – Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel – is officially changing its name to Prince Charming Regal Carrousel. The name change takes effect June 1. The name change helps tell the rest of the Cinderella story that inspired the carrousel. Here’s the official story behind it:

Following their fairy-tale romance and happily-ever-after wedding, Cinderella and Prince Charming took up residence in Cinderella’s Castle. With peace throughout the kingdom, Prince Charming had time to practice for jousting tournaments. In the countryside near the castle, he built a training device of carved horses, on which he could practice the art of ring-spearing, a tournament event in which a knight rides his horse full speed, lance in hand, toward a small ring hanging from a tree limb, with the object of spearing the ring. This event was known by various names throughout the lands, but generally came to be called “carrousel.”

The carrousel device drew the attention of the villagers, who wanted to take a turn on this amazing spinning contraption. So Prince Charming had a second carrousel constructed closer to the Castle, where everyone could take a spin on this wondrous invention. Instead of a working knight’s training device, however, this new carrousel is more befitting its regal location in the Castle Courtyard – its rustic training horses replaced with ornately decorated prancing steeds adorned with golden helmets and shields, flower garlands, feathers and other festoons. Prince Charming invites one and all to test their horsemanship skills and to enjoy their own happy ending.

rcs412248LARGE.jpg.2f5d60253bc826b60af92978d209bb4e.jpg

http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/2010/05/25/passholder-not-so-exclusive-summer-nightastic-preview/

Disney has confirmed that the Main Street Electrical Parade and Summer Nightastic! Fireworks Spectacular will debut on June 5th at the Magic Kingdom for what is being called a Passholder preview:

Clear your calendar for Saturday, June 5, 2010, and get over to the Magic Kingdom® Park for an advance viewing of the return of perhaps the most beloved and adored Disney parade in history! The Main Street Electrical Parade is back as part of Summer Nightastic! Check it out at 9 and 11 p.m., or both!

Plus! That same night, Passholders* can check out the new Summer Nightastic! Fireworks Spectacular at 10 p.m., with special light effect viewing glasses, provided free to who? Passholders, that’s who. Pick up your free glasses between 4 and 8 p.m. at the Rose Garden entrance near Tomorrowland® and enjoy the show.

To learn more about the special advance viewing of Summer Nightastic! for Passholders, go to disneyworld.com/passholder.

*Weekday Select and Epcot® After 4pm Passholders are welcome but will require admission to Magic Kingdom Park.

While listed as a passholder preview, the park is open to the general public during these performances. The only real perks for Passholders are that they are being informed about these preview performances (it is still advertised as Spectromagic and Wishes! performing on the DisneyWorld.com calendar) and are provided the strange glasses usually distributed at the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

^^Seriously, I think it's silly to directly reference brass ring carousels when the carousel you're referring to isn't even one. That's what annoys me, as I feel the world could use a few more ring carousels.

However, I don't think that's a likely scenario in the least. The brass, steel or plastic objects cost a lot to replace, and I'm sure there are liability issues--can you really trust everybody to throw the objects so they won't hit anyone? etc. You could use plastic objects like Riverfront does, but still.

^Apart from my rant, I like the idea of a backstory. It especially makes sense for Disney of course.