TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

How about "Line Jumpers Will Be Tasered by Security", now that would be worth the price of admission alone especially at Magic Mountain and Great Adventure.

Or maybe a dob in a line jumper campaign, shame those bitches.

I remember when this incident actually HAPPENED over a year ago & there was a good discussion on these boards. There was also a thread in which I claimed I sometimes go to the bathroom or get a drink & join my party back on the line & some of you TPRs REALLY got heated about that since I was (and STILL) "line jump" as you guys defined it.

If its ONE or at the most TWO people (especially if one is a child, which is usually the case with me), I think that's really petty. It must've been a hot, humid day at WDW & the lady was in a BAD mood. A shame really.

Dang, but if she gets YEARS in jail over the incident...wowsers! I have a feeling there was some "smack talk" on BOTH ends which led to the fight. U don't just start swinging because someone ONLY cut you off.

Judging from the 2nd article, I believe Disney is as much to blame as the crazy patron. The police should've been called in...period. Either that or the "victim" is GREATLY exagerrating the fight & her injuries. I honestly can't see ANYTHING on those pictures.

^Its not the TPR's that states what defines line jumping...if you read any park map, they outline what defines line jumping and it says plane as day that someone "holding your place" constitutes line jumping.

People think there is this thing called entitlement and the rules dont apply to them. It's kinda like you cant just drive over the speed limit b/c you have someplace to go.

^Its not the TPR's that states what defines line jumping...if you read any park map, they outline what defines line jumping and it says plane as day that someone "holding your place" constitutes line jumping.

People think there is this thing called entitlement and the rules dont apply to them. It's kinda like you cant just drive over the speed limit b/c you have someplace to go.

Got ya, but I'm a dad of 2 little kids...don't tell me that your on a 90 minute wait for a ride, your on line for about an hour, your 3 year old says she has to go the bathroom really, REALLY bad and you, being a guy that goes by the rules, do the "right thing", GET OUT of the line and lose that whole hour. I'm courteous...but a REALIST. I don't wanna hear that "entitlement" baloney.

Your right Ginzo..either she's looking to either sue Disney or score herself some FREE annual passes for the next 5-10 years for her "inconvenience".

A Disney spokeswoman said the park doesn't limit law enforcement access, but in this case, didn't see an immediate need to call deputies.

Really? Hmmm, although it was never mentioned who actually broke up the altercation (unless I missed it), I'm assuming a CM stepped in at some point (or at least witnesses enough of what went on)? If that's the case, then the above quote leads me to think one thing.....an assault is an assault is an assault. The "Mickey Mouse police" may think they have it under control, but a physical altercation like this really does require actual law enforcement to document the case.

Of course we'll probably never have all the details, but from what I've read, I'd lean towards the victim's position of blaming Disney *IF* it's true they held off on calling the cops in.

Got ya, but I'm a dad of 2 little kids...don't tell me that your on a 90 minute wait for a ride, your on line for about an hour, your 3 year old says she has to go the bathroom really, REALLY bad and you, being a guy that goes by the rules, do the "right thing", GET OUT of the line and lose that whole hour. I'm courteous...but a REALIST. I don't wanna hear that "entitlement" baloney.

Your right Ginzo..either she's looking to either sue Disney or score herself some FREE annual passes for the next 5-10 years for her "inconvenience".

I just did a quick search at 2 parks. Holiday World and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. I believe I could find the same rules for line jumping at every park. Here are the links and the rules that they state.

http://www.holidayworld.com/info.html

Line Jumping:

Line jumping is not allowed under any circumstances. Line jumping is defined as cutting in line or leaving line and trying to re-enter for any reason. If a member of your party leaves the ride line for any reason (including getting a soft drink or using the restroom) the rest of the party may not "hold" his or her place. Instead, the person who left the line must go to the end of the line.

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/info/parkpolicies.aspx

LINE JUMPING

Line jumping is strictly prohibited. Guests are not permitted to save places in line or exit the line and return for any reason. Violators will be ejected without a refund.

From what I understand these policies to be is that if someone in your party wants/needs to use the restroom, or get a soda, then the rest of your party will have to go back to them. You don't get to go back to the rest of your party. If the rest of your party stays where they are, that's fine and they can wait until you ride the ride.

Line jumping is a very touchy issue.

As Teacup's pointed out, these aren't TPR rules, they are park rules.

First, it's "you're", not "your".

Secondly, it's very simple to avoid line jumping. Have your children go to the bathroom before you get in line, and don't get a really long line that you know they can't wait in. Also, consider leaving them with friends or relatives when you go to a theme park. I know at most parks, there is not a ton for a 3 year old to do, plus they get bored very easily waiting in lines for rides they won't even be riding.

And if you do have to leave the line, that sucks, but cutting others who have alos paid good money to visit the park and have patienetly waited in line is not right (and against the rules).

For what it's worth, Disney actually does, or did when we were there, allow people to leave the line for Finding Nemo and then come back to rejoin a member of their group further up the line. Cast members were walking the line and actually encouraging it when we were there last summer around the 4th of July. As long as least one member of your party stayed in line, you were good to go. They even allowed you to switch out the person that was waiting. Most of the people that did leave the Nemo line got in line for The Matterhorn, sometimes for several rides. Others just rested or got a bite to eat, used a restroom, or whatever. It was pretty much like whoever waited in line for your group was your "human fast pass".

I've never seen them state or encourage that policy for any other ride, but I wonder if they do allow it in certain circumstances? Now, in all fairness, Nemo did have a ridiculously long line so they may have made an exception for only that ride. They have to recognize that it's certainly going to attract people with small children that would probably have to use the restroom while waiting, even if they had already done their business before entering the line, so it did make sense. They also policed it well enough that I don't think anyone would have been able to easily abuse the policy. In addition, everyone that stood in line for any length of time would have heard a cast member stating that it was ok to rejoin whoever waited, so no one freaked out when they saw people rejoining the line near the front. I'm not condoning line cutting, but just trying to establish that people leaving a line and then rejoining the one that waited isn't an idea totally unknown or forbidden altogther by Disney. I doubt that policy would apply to the Tea Cups at WDW, but I don't know that for sure. Can anyone that has worked as a line attendant or grouper for Disney confirm or deny if the Nemo line policy is exclusive to that ride?

To me I just can't see how someone walking in front of me would make want to strike someone. Only think that could ever provoke such thoughts would be if the person who's in the wrong (i.e. line cutting) said something offensive, rude, or downgrading. Especially if employees aren't doing their job to handle the situation it could get infuriating. However, I would have enough respect as an adult to not act such a way in front of my child or anyone else even those of the one who's wrong. Maybe my ability to try and see where the woman who attacked was thinking makes me feel she should spend the next 15 years of her life in prison. At the same time punishment should be served to show that such actions are not tolerable. I just think even a year is a lot (however i haven't research the extend of the injuries or the credibility of the accusations). I see people get their behinds handed to them all the time. Poor woman who got attached she's probably gonna ride on this and milk it for all its worth and wish the worst upon the attacker in a ways to repress the actual guilt of her most likely provoking the issue, thus placing everything on this Alabama woman.

See what everybody must understand is that it is very annoying when there's only yellow cups left. That lady stole the last pink cup and everybody knows that the pink cups spin better. I would of waxed her also if that would of happened to me!

Honestly, it is sad that even at the happiest place on earth people behave so poorly. I simply don't understand what could cause a person to get that upset at another person for something this petty. Please remind yourself when entering any location where other humans are that you need to be prepared for anything these days.

I personally think the story is flawed... and alot of detail has been left out. I do realize that many things happen in the world today, but excuse me for not believing that a woman brutally attacked another woman (And her children!) in the line of a WDW ride!

I believe that the other woman is over-exaggerating the events and accusing Ms. Walker of something that wasn't nearly as brutal as reported.

just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in:

ORANGE COUNTY, Florida. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) --Victoria Walker was booked into the Orange County Jail Friday and is being held with no bond until she is sentenced on April 23rd.

The Alabama woman was convicted Friday of battery against another woman at Disney.

Walker had been charged with aggravated battery, that charge could have landed her in prison for up to 15 years.

The jury however found her guilty on a lesser charge of simple battery; a misdemeanor. That charge could have Walker put on probation or in jail for up to a year.

The verdict came less than 90 minutes after the case was handed to the jury after closing arguments Friday afternoon.

Walker had asked to be set free to return home to Alabama to take care of an elderly relative. The judge denied her request and ordered her held with no bond until her sentencing.

The final twist in the trial came late Thursday, when defense attorneys tried to present witnesses they said would have testified that the Amiee Krause, the woman who accused Walker of the assault, had a violent nature.

Friday the judge ruled however those witnesses were not credible, did not know Krause well enough and barred them from testifying.

The witnesses turned out to be the principal and vice principal of the school attended by Krause’s children.

Friday morning, the Krause family pulled their children from the Lake County school system.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6284931&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

• 8 months later...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/busine ... close.html

Disney to close Space Mountain for much of 2009 for upgrades

by Jason Garcia

One of the more iconic attractions at Walt Disney World is getting a makeover.

Disney said Wednesday it will shut down Space Mountain this spring for what the company described as a months-long “refreshment” of the 34-year-old Magic Kingdom roller coaster.

The ride will close April 19, just after the Easter holiday. It is expected to reopen late in the year, Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said, though a specific reopening date has not been set.

The timetable means Space Mountain will be closed throughout the busy summer-travel season.

The construction work will include installing new track inside the enclosed coaster, which carries guests in the dark through a series of sudden drops and sharp turns. The layout of the track will remain the same, however.

Other upgrades will include a new enclosure for the ride’s queuing area and a new ceiling inside its signature, white dome, Finger said.

Finger said the renovations are the first substantial work on the ride since September 1999. The project follows a series of other makeovers Disney has made in recent years to some of its oldest attractions, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in the Magic Kingdom and Spaceship Earth in Epcot.

Disney fans have been swapping rumors for more than a year that the company was planning a sweeping overhaul of Space Mountain. In 2005, the Walt Disney Co. completed an extensive, two-year makeover of the Space Mountain at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

But the changes to Orlando’s version of the ride — it’s the original Space Mountain, having opened Jan. 15, 1975 — are likely to be more modest.

“We’re retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a right of passage at the Magic Kingdom that’s been enjoyed by generations,” Finger said.

This is definitely an exciting piece of news! I'm sure that the new track and updated station will only add to the already stellar experience that is Space Mountain.

Edited by Erik Johnson