TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Okay, it's official, Walt Disney World's cursed. I mean, first someone dies on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, then someone dies on a Disney World bus, and now Expedition Everest. Me thinks there is a conspiracy going on at Disney World.

Anyone ever saw that one anime called "Death Note." It's about a kid who has a power to write someone's name down in a book and that person dies of a heart attack 40 seconds later. I think someone got something like that at Disney World.

Call me an idiot, I don't care either way until Disney World has been excorised, I officially declare that:

Disneyland in CA >>>>>>>> Disney World in Orlando

Oh and...my respects are to Jeffrey Reed and his family. May he enjoy that great theme park in the sky.

R.I.P. Jeffrey Reed

---space "Disney World is Cursed" mtfan

Okay, it's official, Walt Disney World's cursed.

Okay, it's official, you're an idiot.

Sorry, it's just that Disney World has been the news lately and it makes me sad that the most-visited park in the U.S.A. is suffering from all of these deaths. It surely can't be good for business. I mean ever since the 2003 and 2004 accidents on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain, I never seen it with a wait longer than 35 minutes (before it had lines that rivaled the Matterhorn's).

But that was just one ride. This is a HUGE resort that almost 15 million people visit a year! I'm sure that this and recent incidents will impact business and the parks' attendance.

Once again...my respects and condolences to Jeffrey Reed and his family. May he enjoy that great theme park in the sky.

R.I.P. Jeffrey Reed

------space "I only act like an idiot" mtfan

Okay, it's official, Walt Disney World's cursed.

Okay, it's official, you're an idiot.

Sorry, it's just that Disney World has been the news lately and it makes me sad that the most-visited park in the U.S.A. is suffering from all of these deaths. It surely can't be good for business. I mean ever since the 2003 and 2004 accidents on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain, I never seen it with a wait longer than 35 minutes (before it had lines that rivaled the Matterhorn's).

But that was just one ride. This is a HUGE resort that almost 15 million people visit a year! I'm sure that this and recent incidents will impact business and the parks' attendance.

Once again...my respects and condolences to Jeffrey Reed and his family. May he enjoy that great theme park in the sky.

R.I.P. Jeffrey Reed

------space "I only act like an idiot" mtfan

You do realize that when the matterhorn's line is wrapped all the way around the mountain it's only about 35 minutes .. right?

Considering WDW has around 35 million individual guest-days each year, not having a few random deaths from regular natural (though sudden and possibly unusual) causes would be something to be shocked by. If the same person went on a trampoline they would probably die too. It really doesn't say anything other than media frenzy.

That said, I really hope the odds never make me have to personally deal with such an event, since it really is tragic and disturbing and an awful way to totally turn around what is supposed to be a fun day.

Very sad to hear anyone die on a coaster. Not the Park or the coaster's fault unless it is proven.

This can happen to anyone at anytime, the guy might be fine riding something like KK or TTD, then he goes on a 100ft coaster and for some reason he has a heart attack.

I was not sure of riding MF when I looked up from the station platform, the speed or height could of affected me in a certain way and lucky it had not.

I had a mega rush and was buzzing for the rest of the morning when I got off.

First out of all the ways to die I would LOVE to die of a heart attack on a coaster. It is a million times better then dying of cancer in a hospital bed.

Second as some other intelligent people have said it is so much more likely to happen at WDW since so many people go there.

Third human beings are idiots. Even with warning signs they will ride no matter there condition bec ause they don't believe things. This is obviously true because look how many people choose to smoke no matter the warnings.

I feel bad because he passed at a young age, but I don't feel bad how he died, at all.

First out of all the ways to die I would LOVE to die of a heart attack on a coaster. It is a million times better then dying of cancer in a hospital bed.

Second as some other intelligent people have said it is so much more likely to happen at WDW since so many people go there.

Third human beings are idiots. Even with warning signs they will ride no matter there condition bec ause they don't believe things. This is obviously true because look how many people choose to smoke no matter the warnings.

I feel bad because he passed at a young age, but I don't feel bad how he died, at all.

Unless I missed something, I don't think anything came out officially saying that he died of a heart attack.

Unless I missed something, I don't think anything came out officially saying that he died of a heart attack.

They said that he was unconscious when his train returned to the unloading area, so it's assumed he died of a heart attack.

Heart Attack, Annuerism, whatever. Its not like he died from blunt object tramu to the head or something that is anyway related to coaster failure.

To the other poster how in the world would trims help this situation?

Let's see how cursed WDW is by your math. WDW has had 15 deaths since 1989. That's 18 years. So less than one a year.

15 million people a year, 18 years = 270,000,000 people. Divide that by 15 deaths = 1 person out of every 18 million people that visit, die. Christ almighty, alert the media, Walt Disney World is cursed.

First, my heart goes out to Jeffrey Reed and his family for this tragic event. People go out to amusement park to take a break from life and enjoy themselves knowing that when the day ends they would return home with smiles on there faces. To go to an amusement park with friends and families and to have someone in your party to not come home is very devastating.

According to the report, there wasn't any report of anything wrong with the ride, so I have to speculate that the rider may had a condition that got triggered during the ride. To enjoy rides like that, you need to be in good physical health and not have any medical problems (a big reason for me to eat right and do my daily exercises - I want to be able to fit into the restraints and keep riding).

This reminds me of another rider who died while riding the Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain. The autopsy revealed that the rider suffered from a pre-ride condition in her brain that got triggered while riding.

What else can I say but know your physical health status before riding?

I honestly don't think trims would be a terrible idea for this ride. It's not very forceful to begin with, and the only thing trims may do is dull down some of the positive g's in the helixes. Everest is more about the full immersive experience not just the just the thrilling portions, making the ride a little tamer won't really affect my opinion of the experience.

Aaaaaaaaaand it was a heart attack and he had a pre-existing heart condition.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-everest1907dec19,0,2955186.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

The 44-year-old man who died after suffering an apparent heart attack on Walt Disney World's Expedition Everest ride was suffering from an enlarged heart and had a history of heart arrhythmias. The District Nine Medical Examiner's Office said Jeffery C. Reeb, of Navarre, Fla., died of dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that in this case had no known cause.

(Editor's Note: Based on incorrect information from the Orange County Sheriff's Office, the spelling of Reeb's last name was incorrect in an earlier version of this article.)

The medical examiner's office said the condition is a heart abnormality, and Reeb was considered to have died of natural causes.

Reeb was found unconscious and unresponsive when he arrived at the Expedition Everest unloading area at about 11:25 a.m. Tuesday. Disney officials said the ride was inspected and reopened late Tuesday.

According to investigators, a camera at the attraction showed Reeb conscious less than a minute before the ride ended.

The death was the first associated with the nearly 2-year-old ride and the fourth this year connected with a Disney World attraction.

Reeb was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation by a Disney employee at the scene and another visitor who was a registered nurse. Reedy Creek Emergency Services paramedics reached him in about five minutes. At about that time, the 911 caller advised the Reedy Creek dispatcher that there was no portable defibrillator around.

Reedy Creek Assistant Fire Chief Bo Jones said it would be impossible to know whether a readily available portable defibrillator would have made any difference. He said it would not have made any difference to Reedy Creek's paramedics, who carry their own.

The man had no pulse when paramedics arrived, Jones said. There was no apparent trauma and "no obvious signs of any cause," he said. Reedy Creek transported him to Florida Hospital Celebration Health, where he was pronounced dead.

Declaring that portable heart defibrillators may have saved as many as 40 lives at Disneyland and Disney World or on Disney Cruise Line ships since 650 of them were installed in 2003, the Walt Disney Co. announced just last month that it intends to install 250 more on its properties, including another 200 at Disney World. The company also has trained thousands of employees to use them.

There reportedly were at least two in Animal Kingdom on Tuesday, including one at a first-aid station on Discovery Island, a couple hundred yards away from the Everest ride, and one on a mobile cart.

Reeb's death is not the first associated with an apparent heart attack at a Disney theme-park location lacking a defibrillator since the company began its program. In 2005, a 4-year-old boy with an undetected heart disease died of a heart attack after riding the Mission: Space ride at Epcot. The family sued, and one of the allegations was that Disney had not placed a defibrillator near enough to that ride. Disney and the family eventually settled the lawsuit for undisclosed terms.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office reported that Reeb appeared to be conscious about 50 seconds before the ride ended because his photograph was taken as the coaster progressed toward the unloading area. The Sheriff's Office also said investigators think the ride was operating properly.

The Sheriff's Office said Reeb was visiting Disney World with family members. Its report also indicated that no one witnessed the cardiac arrest.

A Disney spokeswoman said the company has offered Reeb's family "our deepest sympathies" and assistance.

According to Reedy Creek reports, the emergency call came in about 11:26 a.m. The first report from the caller indicated Reeb had passed out and was unresponsive. Within a minute, the dispatcher was advised that Reeb was in cardiac or respiratory arrest. Paramedics arrived about 11:31. At 11:32, the Reedy Creek report indicates, "a defibrillator (AED) is not available."

Disney World officials said the ride had been inspected Tuesday morning and was operating properly. Disney closed the ride Tuesday after the incident to reconfirm its status.

The Sheriff's Office indicated it would conduct a routine investigation to determine the cause of death. In addition, Disney advised the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection of the incident.

The death is the first associated with Expedition Everest, which opened in early 2006 as a top attraction in Animal Kingdom. The ride, which reportedly cost $100 million, includes tight twists and turns and some backward travel, but it is not a particularly fast or steep roller coaster and has no loops. The top speed has been reported at 50 mph, and the largest drop is 80 feet.

John Gerard, a spokesman for the American Coaster Enthusiasts, a club for roller-coaster fans, described Expedition Everest as a "mildly thrilling roller coaster with some exciting elements, but it's obviously not one of the most intense roller coasters in the world."

Gerard, who is a medical doctor in San Diego, said he did not think the ride would be intense enough to cause a heart attack under normal circumstances. But he said certain pre-existing health conditions such as heart disease can entirely change the level of risk.

"They always say, 'Don't go on this if you have a heart condition,' " Gerard said. "It's a very tragic occurrence."

The death is the fourth associated with a Disney attraction this year. Most recently, a Disney ride attendant, Karen Price, 63, died Nov. 29 after an accident in which she was struck and knocked down by a ride car at Primeval Whirl in Animal Kingdom.

I dunno, man, a violent roller coaster death would probably be insanely painful and you'll be there bleeding to death before paramedics arrive. I wouldn't want to die on one because it's bad for the industry and reputation of thrill rides. Dying slowly of cancer is also incredibly painful, but at least you get all the painkillers you want!

I dunno, man, a violent roller coaster death would probably be insanely painful and you'll be there bleeding to death before paramedics arrive. I wouldn't want to die on one because it's bad for the industry and reputation of thrill rides. Dying slowly of cancer is also incredibly painful, but at least you get all the painkillers you want!

As long as its not a Vekoma I don't mind.