TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

A week ago, a petition from some random guy on Twitter made the "news" about doing this exact same thing. I wonder if this news is more correlation or causation?

If you know Disney, you know they are not lying when they say that this has been in the works since last year. There's no way they would have done all of this in the last two weeks after an online petition. I'm sure that the current positive movement in America to fix our racism helped push this timeline, but it's good to know Disney was already working on the retheme.

Not that I needed more reasons to but this gives me yet another excuse to go back to Tokyo Disney. I love Splash Mountain and while I think Princess and the Frog is a great movie too I would have much rather have kept Splash how it is and have an entirely new ride for Princess and the frog

Oh man, I am *so* excited! I absolutely LOVE Princess and the Frog, and I particularly love that they're subtly acknowledging the issues with the movie - our first black princess spends most of her movie as an animal - by setting this post-movie so she'll be herself throughout it.

IMO, 75% of what makes Splash Mountain a good attraction is that it is a flume, and a long one at that, which is not changing. The remaining 25% is the fact that there are show scenes, which there still will be - I don’t really care what theme the show scenes is.

Cleverly managed social media (twitter. Change.org) by the mouse to timely boost this 2019-origin project. With no remaining prospect for cashflow from the IP a win-win for corporate.

I'm happy as long as the original ride stays at Tokyo. My daughter's childhood is connected to it and we love Japan...and will return when we're allowed. Like everyone under 25, her knowledge of the songs is not from a movie she's never seen but from the Sing-Along Songs animation excerpts that used to be on the Disney channel.

A week ago, a petition from some random guy on Twitter made the "news" about doing this exact same thing. I wonder if this news is more correlation or causation?

If you know Disney, you know they are not lying when they say that this has been in the works since last year. There's no way they would have done all of this in the last two weeks after an online petition. I'm sure that the current positive movement in America to fix our racism helped push this timeline, but it's good to know Disney was already working on the retheme.

That was my thinking, too. They just pushed up the announcement because the time was right.

I'm just saying, seeing the Tokyo version rethemed to a Chip and Dale versus Donald cartoon style flume ride could be all sorts of awesome! Look at how great it was to finally get a Mickey and Friends ride at Studios. And the Chipmunks are LOVED in Asia and the Splash Mountain Gift Shop is already mostly Chip and Dale in Tokyo so...

I think this change was necessary and I'm glad it's finally happening! I will say, I think Disney missed an opportunity to come forward with a true acknowledgment of why the retheme of Splash Mountain is necessary. The press release mentions their aim to make the new ride more inclusive, which is definitely great. But I wish they had been more explicit in their explanation, stating why the ride has always been problematic, apologizing for their longtime silence regarding its problematic nature, and clarifying how this retheme is a part of their effort to enact real change in the parks.

I know we are all tired of reading longwinded apologies from corporations. It is about the action, and Disney is taking action here. However, I think recognizing and owning up to their faults when it comes to the ride (and Song of the South in general, that's a whole other discussion), would have been impactful.

Anyway, not trying to be negative! I think this change is well-intentioned and could be very cool. I don't post much on here, but I have been trying to be more vocal recently. Also, very on board for Elissa's idea of a Chip and Dale-themed Splash Mountain!

Does anybody else have a problem with the fact that there are literally no mountains in Louisiana?

I know it's small but hasnt disney imagineering also been central to the idea that the little things matter most in many cases. Even if it's an impeccable retheme just the fact if they keep the 'mountain aspect' the ride I will always think of this as I'm a tad 2 ocd haha. I'm just having trouble thinking of anyway they could realistically incorporate a mountain ride into an authentic Louisiana bayou theme

^ If they throw a few beads around, and offer up beignets and cafe' au lait for the taking, I'll be sold!

Actually, they may create it's own mini-land, like they've done in Hong Kong DL, all around the main berm of the park. (i.e. Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point, Toy Story Land)

P.S. Call it "Bayou Mountain", or "Mardi Gras Mountain," etc.

I'm just saying, seeing the Tokyo version rethemed to a Chip and Dale versus Donald cartoon style flume ride could be all sorts of awesome! Look at how great it was to finally get a Mickey and Friends ride at Studios. And the Chipmunks are LOVED in Asia and the Splash Mountain Gift Shop is already mostly Chip and Dale in Tokyo so...

I'd be curious how many people in Asia actually know what movie the ride is based on. I didn't realize it was based on a movie, let alone such a controversial movie until much later and the internet was a thing.

Since I never saw the movie as a child, my only memory of it growing up in the UK was it seemed to make frequent appearances as a trailer on all the Disney VHS tapes we had so it'd pass on the screen as we tried to fast-forward through those and one of the oldest piracy ads I can remember

Although when I mentioned this to some American Disney loving fans they seemed shocked I even had the option to watch it as a child. I think it was still in stores in the UK right up until the death of VHS.

honestly? this sounds all kinds of Awesome. .

and as popular as all the Chipmunks seemed to be in the Tokyo Parks, I was a little surprised there wasn't really any rides/attractions featuring them. (they are in every parade tho, and the Gift Shops, as you mentioned)

^I'm still amazed that their tv show is represented by Gadget's Go Coaster. I loved Rescue Rangers as a child but I never expected to find a ride based around a character from it. Although I did snag this from my last trip when they had a whole range on it on the Disney store, so it must have a following (the Tomica Do-Dodonpa is a cheat, since I usually get my park merchandise on travels but it actually randomly showed up in the big chain mart near my house.)

KakaoTalk_20200626_141719689.jpg.885219ddafac46e5e0f7df6342d9edcf.jpg

Just did a couple of Park Pass reservations for the last few weekends in July... Butter-smooth, no problems at all, even after the predicted "rush" at 7 AM. Still plenty of availability for all four parks after that first week. Fan sites over-hyping the process as usual.

Saw this on Twitter, and it basically sums up how I feel:

img_4585.png

*sings and bounces in seat* Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum...

Actually it doesn't seem like Dr. Facilier will definitely even be part of this ride which would be a shame because he's an amazing villian. I hope they bring him back in some form though, even if it's just a flashback or something. I didn't realize it until I read the Disney website this morning...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/06/new-adventures-with-princess-tiana-coming-to-disneyland-park-and-magic-kingdom-park/?CMP=SOC-DPFY20Q3wo0625200701200001C

”We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance."

I have mixed feelings about this but I understand it and why they have locked away Song of the South, the characters are really only know from the ride for people who have never heard of Song of the South so I think in all aspects it'll be a good way to bring familiarity to the younger groups.

I was going to say I hope the Tokyo Splash Mountain stays the same just to have it be different than the others but this is an even better idea. I'm all for it!

Does anybody else have a problem with the fact that there are literally no mountains in Louisiana?

From the concept artwork it looks like a large bayou tree is going to be the mountain with the big drop so I don't see an issue here.