TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

For anyone interested, I successfully uncovered the exact tech specs for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train from what I assuming to be a reliable source here: http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/2641/Seven_Dwarfs_Mine_Train.html

Manufacturer: Vekoma

First drop: 41 feet

Second drop: 31 feet

Track length: 2,000 feet

Speed: 34 mph

If you need a frame of reference to make sense of these stats, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in the same park has a max track height (not the height of the mountain peak) of 45 feet, is 2,780 feet long, and goes 36 mph. Although Seven Dwarfs is shorter, it is supposed to have a couple of dark ride segments where the train is slowed to a crawl, so the total ride time should be about the same as Big Thunder Mountain.

I also added these stats to its Wikipedia article and emailed Duane Marden to get the word out.

^ I really question if the first and second drop stats aren't reversed. I cannot imagine that the second drop (the one that Disney always refers to as the "big drop") is smaller than the first one. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean.

I just don't think those stats are accurate, and I'd hate to see Wikipedia and RCDB end up with an incorrect listing.

Edited by cfc

It's difficult to judge because the drops are almost Nemesis-esque (never thought I'd be compering the two rides!) in that it's not one drop down but a more gradual thing, but the second one seems larger from the video.

• 1 month later...
Hi! Quick Question! Which ride should I hit first, Big Thunder or Space Mountain?

Kind of depends on what you want to do after your first ride, and what fast passes you have booked.

I'd start with Thunder Mountain (because it is in the back of Frontierland) - then perhaps Splash Mountain - do both before lines get huge - then fast pass your way across the park towards Space Mountain.

Man Loses Fingertips On 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' Ride At Disney World

Keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times.

A British tourist lost two fingertips on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Walt Disney World in Florida on Thursday, according to reports in local media and on Disney blogs.

Bo Jones, communications manager of the Reedy Creek Fire Department, told ClickOrlando.com that the man lost the tips of his ring and pinky fingers on his right hand.

There is no word yet on how the accident occurred, but WDW Theme Parks wrote on Twitter that "evidently the hand was outside the boat on the drop."

(WDW Theme Parks is an independent website and not affiliated with Disney.)

The man was treated at a local hospital and the ride was shut down for at least five hours, the fan-run Doctor Disney website said.

The ride had reopened by Thursday evening.

Definitely a unique situation.....

Disney Monorail Struck By Lightning!

POSTED BY DISNEY DINING ON JULY 13, 2014 IN NEWS

From WESH News and WDW News.

A Disney World monorail train had to be evacuated Sunday night after what passengers said was a possible lightning strike. Apparently, lightning hit the beam on the Epcot monorail line this evening, stranding guests inside Monorail Red. The train stopped in the transfer track area where the tractor could not be used to pull the monorail to a safe unloading zone. A very rare instance, the monorail needed to be evacuated via the hatch on the roof with guests pulled down from the elevated vehicle using a cherry picker courtesy of the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

Several Twitter users reported the evacuation just after 6 p.m.

“Literally stuck on a monorail at Disney, lighting struck and we immediately stopped. I’m convinced that I’m going to die,” said Twitter user @nnaaatttalliiie at 6:07 p.m.

“We’re going to have to evacuate the monorail,” @lilymock said.

WDWNT.com tweeted a photo of the monorail stopped near the Wilderness Lodge with multiple emergency vehicles nearby.

A Disney World spokeswoman told WESH 2 News she was looking into the situation and would provide details when they were available.

WESH 2 News has a crew headed to the scene.

Source

I like this particular comment......

“Literally stuck on a monorail at Disney, lighting struck and we immediately stopped. I’m convinced that I’m going to die,” said Twitter user @nnaaatttalliiie at 6:07 p.m"

I like this particular comment......

“Literally stuck on a monorail at Disney, lighting struck and we immediately stopped. I’m convinced that I’m going to die,” said Twitter user @nnaaatttalliiie at 6:07 p.m"

I'm glad she survived such a horrible tragedy. At least she had enough time to pull out her cell phone, open Twitter app, and post that status before death took over.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I just got back from a FANTASTIC trip to Orlando. The Florida hospitality that was given to myself and my family was amazing . . . if you live in the Orlando area, you should be very proud . . . I was going to post a traditional trip report, but I believe I might crash this site if I posted every amazing detail, so I thought it would be cool, if anyone wanted a Canadian perspective on my Disney experience to ask me on this forum, kind of like an interview . . . you could ask me about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Pin Trading and what pins I got, what and where I ate, our experience with the Fast Pass program, anything like that . . . I will keep watching this post to see if any of you are interested . . .

Hi everyone, I just got back from a FANTASTIC trip to Orlando. The Florida hospitality that was given to myself and my family was amazing . . . if you live in the Orlando area, you should be very proud . . . I was going to post a traditional trip report, but I believe I might crash this site if I posted every amazing detail, so I thought it would be cool, if anyone wanted a Canadian perspective on my Disney experience to ask me on this forum, kind of like an interview . . . you could ask me about Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Pin Trading and what pins I got, what and where I ate, our experience with the Fast Pass program, anything like that . . . I will keep watching this post to see if any of you are interested . . .

I am interested of what you thought of SDMT and New Fantasyland.

Well, sfstlmo. We saved Fantasyland for our last day at the Magic Kingdom because we thought we would need a lot of time to see the 'new' Fantasyland . . . the first thing we noticed was the size of Beast Castle . . . before we saw it, we didn't know it was just a model with a restaurant underneath it. Then around noon it poured rain . . . after it stopped raining we joined the line for SDMT. After abour 15 minutes of not seeing any trains going around, we asked a cast member when it would be opened again and we were told the thunderstorm had to be 10 miles away. We then went on all the 'classic Fantasyland rides, pan, small world, pooh, then came back to SDMT at night . . . this was the longest line we had to wait in for our entire trip, about 40 minutes which wasn't bad as the sign said 65 minutes . . . even at night time, the waiting line area was very hot . . . once we got on . . . the theming is incredible, but a little on the short side, the animation is amazing! It is a great addition to Fantasyland, we stopped for about 3 minutes in front of Snow White's house and it gave us a great view of the party going on inside . . . I don't think it is at the top of my family's list but overall, it was a great ride, we liked playing with the gems when we were in line . . . we also thought the animation on the new Little Mermaid ride was fantastic! New Fantasyland is twice as big as old Fantasyland, but that is because of the new restaurants, with only 2 new rides, it doesn't seem like it is twice as big, however, we really did enjoy New Fantasyland and spent the most amount of our time in that area . . . anything else you want my opinion on, just let me know, thanks sfstlmo . . .

Hey friends, I'm popping down to Magic Kingdom next week! So excited!

I've got Fastpass+ reservations for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the new daytime parade - good idea or bad idea? I wanted those reservations because they're new since I was last to the park and I wanted to make sure that I got on them (Under the Sea is neither here nor there for me).

Seven Dwarves has consistently held a 45-120 minute wait since it opened, and the new parade is as tough as any to get a good seat. I think you've done well. If you get your third reservation for something before the parade starts, you can grab another later reservation when the parade ends, which can be helpful as many rides at MK carry long waits.

Hey AJ, I just got back from a FANTASTIC trip to Orlando. If you need any help/information about my experiences with the new fastpass or any details about my trip, then be sure to let me know before you go . . . oh, and be sure to buy some Micaroni pasta! It's the best mac and cheese you'll ever taste! Also, try to get in the Crystal Palace for dinner, it's at the end of Main Street on the left side, you'll need a reservation. It's a fantastic buffet for only about $40/person.

...only about $40/person.

ONLY about $40 a person?!?

Yeah, I had a FP+ for Space Mountain (it's my favorite attraction in Magic Kingdom) later in the afternoon, but I was able to flip it to the morning with no trouble! I love the new system already!