TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Is it just me, or does the ride seem a bit short?

Basically a couple of tame (granted, its to be expected) coaster sections sandwiched around a very short mine section that pretty much existed in the original ride, with a single exterior scene at the end.

Its like they combined Barnstormer & the original Scary Adventures, but with like 1/4th the scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a cool enough ride. But outside of the fact that it has coaster sections, what is better than the original ride?. I can't say I expected more from a coaster sense, but from the theming elements/dark ride sense, I did.

It does look like a nice starter coaster for the kiddies, and I can't wait until my son gets to ride it. But as an adult Disney geek, it looks kind of 'meh'. There doesn't seem to be any sort of story for a Fantasyland ride. Its layout seems to be: 1. mine train, 2. dwarfs in a mine, 3. more mine train, 4. dancing dwarfs. Huh? That's it?

Unless there's some element of the ride I'm missing by watching the video, take away the kiddie coaster element, and I'd say I prefer the original SW'sSA . At least it had a story....and most of all, it had some "menace" to it, which set it apart from the other FL rides...

^The old Snow White ride had a story that was told rather incoherently. It was really more like a conventional, old-school "haunted house" ride, as the main attractions in it were the "scary" elements (for example, the creepy forest, the witch's transformation, the dungeon), and the "happily ever after" ending seemed a bit abrupt and jarring. I understand your meaning, though.

I like the old Disney dark rides, but I think it was high time to "refresh" Snow White. Now if Disney wants to add the new-style animatronics to, say the Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Pooh, and Pinocchio rides, I wouldn't complain a bit.

Basically a couple of tame (granted, its to be expected) coaster sections sandwiched around a very short mine section that pretty much existed in the original ride, with a single exterior scene at the end.

Its like they combined Barnstormer & the original Scary Adventures, but with like 1/4th the scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a cool enough ride. But outside of the fact that it has coaster sections, what is better than the original ride?. I can't say I expected more from a coaster sense, but from the theming elements/dark ride sense, I did.

It does look like a nice starter coaster for the kiddies, and I can't wait until my son gets to ride it. But as an adult Disney geek, it looks kind of 'meh'. There doesn't seem to be any sort of story for a Fantasyland ride. Its layout seems to be: 1. mine train, 2. dwarfs in a mine, 3. more mine train, 4. dancing dwarfs. Huh? That's it?

Unless there's some element of the ride I'm missing by watching the video, take away the kiddie coaster element, and I'd say I prefer the original SW'sSA . At least it had a story....and most of all, it had some "menace" to it, which set it apart from the other FL rides...

Soooo, you've written a this about a ride you've never actually ridden? Opinion thown in the trash.

Seriously, I get what you're saying from the "video", and the ride exceeded my expectations from my initial ride during the day when we rode with empty trains, but then really blew me away with how great of a family coaster it really was later in the evening.

If you still have this opinion once you ride, fine. But I just can't take someone seriously that bases all these thoughts from a video.

what is better than the original ride?

And after riding if you REALLY think that an old and busted dark ride, which always had story flow issues, was too scary that little kids never wanted to ride and and thus it never had a line making it the least popular ride in Fantasyland is REALLY better than this, well, then "It's just you."

--Robb "I think it should be fairly obvious how much better this is than the original ride..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I wasn't trying to troll or say that its a terrible ride. In fact, I said it looked like a nice family ride. And its good to hear you felt so highly about it. But if I posted "this looks awesome", would you have commented that my opinion was useless because I hadn't ridden it yet?

Again, I admitted it was just an opinion from a video, which is all I have at this point. I felt there would be more dark ride elements to it, but if it works as an overall ride experience, I'm glad. Its not like I wanted to feel ambivalent after watching the video. I wanted it to look awesome, but it just looked OK. With many of the videos you guys post of new rides, I can tell how awesome they look just from watching them, and I often think "I gotta ride that!".. This one, not so much. So I felt like commenting on that fact. Just one man's opinion whilst sitting at his computer at 2am on a Friday night.

Edited by MisterP

Despite the fact that it took years and years to build, I don't think this was ever supposed to be an E-ticket ride. It looks like a great D-ticket that the whole family can enjoy together.

I wasn't trying to troll or say that its a terrible ride. In fact, I said it looked like a nice family ride. And its good to hear you felt so highly about it. But if I posted "this looks awesome", would you have commented that my opinion was useless because I hadn't ridden it yet?

Simply posting "this looks awesome" is totally different than posting a six section review of a ride based on a video that you haven't ridden yet. If you had simply wrote "The video isn't making me as excited for the ride as I thought, but I'll reserve judgement until I ride" or something, my reaction would have been a lot different.

But your lengthy post came across incredibly negative for a ride you've never experienced. You basically wrote a bad review for something you've never done.

That's why you got the reaction out of me that you did.

--Robb

Robb, THANK YOU for posting a shot of what the front of the cottage, looks like!

Wish I/we could get closer to see it. But right now, it looks exquisite!

And Disney doesn't do too many large-scale fairy tale homes. Mainly in the

miniatures for the canal boat rides.

Congrats Disney!

minetrain_event_SWcottage.jpg.a1ff5090fd182877191c88f7a37dd168.jpg

It's just perfect. And knowing The Witch is back there... some where, hee hee hee.

In some videos the dark ride portion starts silent until "heigh-ho" starts on the lift hill, while in others it starts with "dig-dig-dig" and the lift hill is silent. Is this a pre-opening glitch, or does it randomly do one or the other to give the ride some variability?

Simply posting "this looks awesome" is totally different than posting a six section review of a ride based on a video that you haven't ridden yet. If you had simply wrote "The video isn't making me as excited for the ride as I thought, but I'll reserve judgement until I ride" or something, my reaction would have been a lot different.

But your lengthy post came across incredibly negative for a ride you've never experienced. You basically wrote a bad review for something you've never done.

That's why you got the reaction out of me that you did.

--Robb

That's fair. I was just expecting more dark ride elements. But if you say its a great ride, that's enough for me.

I can't wait to get back there in 2015 to experience it myself...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, MisterP, I have had the chance to ride this attraction and I side with your findings as well. For all the hype, all of the fanfare, this ride falls WAY short. Even if it wasn't hyped, it would be a third tier attraction. Some of the details are typical of Disney, and the unique animatronics are a plus. The issue comes in where the storyline is lacking combined with the lackluster overall experience.

Mind you, I did not expect a HUGE thrill from the coaster, knowing it was meant for kiddos. However, even as a young family ride, this falls short. Better than Barn Stormer, but the young family winner is still Toy Story at HS. At least I got a credit and saw some dwarves.

It's sad I have to moderate a MK Discussion thread but seriously people, come on!

It's a good ride for kids, it's at the MK, that's the point! It shouldn't even have this much attention from most of you coaster enthusiasts.

To quote Frozen, all of you people should just 'Let it Go'!

Staying on topic...the ride opened today, ride it or don't. I'm excited to finally get KT on it!

I don't understand (well, maybe I do ) the enthusiast complaining, either. Based on what Disney has said all along during the planning and construction phases, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was pretty much what I expected it to be (based on the video footage I've seen).

It is a step up from the old-and-busted Snow White ride.

I've ridden it a few times now, and have FP+ to do it again this evening.

Here's my thoughts....I've ridden it a few times now and have FP+. I wouldn't have ridden it multiple times, and have a FastPass reservation if it wasn't a great ride. It is a LOT of fun, the animatronics are top-notch, the level of detail in the queue and the ride are amazing and it is a LOT of fun

We took our friends and their 6 year old daughter to the park with us this past weekend and she was GAGA over this ride (it is her new favorite - and to note, she rode Space and Splash Mountains for her first time this same weekend.) That, right there, puts it in a WIN category for Disney.

All these people posting about riding it, and I'm just waiting for the weekend! Have FP+ for both Saturday Night and Sunday Afternoon.

As for my expectations, I'm just excited as it is a new ride for me. I'm also an engineer by trade, so the animatronics are something that I am heavily interested in.

If any TPR Members are interested in meeting up on either Saturday or Sunday (May be hitting a Water Park before MK though), feel free to send me a PM.

Brian "Who Cares What Others Think!" Bomser

So since this discussion has come up, I'm just going to ask the question - for those of you who have been on it, do you feel it's an "E-Ticket" "D-Ticket", or a "C-Ticket" attraction? Here's a look at some of the final tickets from Magic Kingdom to help you decide where this attraction would go if tickets were still around today:WDW1978_TicketABC.thumb.jpg.88ae746453b41d3e5e34b40b41f1d323.jpgIt's a tough call because since the tickets, rides like Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, have been added, but not THAT many more "E-Tickets." I would assume that today, attractions like the Country Bears would be demoted to a D-Ticket and Big Thunder & Splash would be in it's place. But where do you put rides like Mermaid, Stitch Encounter, Buzz Lightyear, Barnstormer, etc?

How would you break down the current attractions into tickets if they were around today?

Well - I think that 7DMT qualifies as an e-ticket, along with all three of the "Mountains," Haunted Mansion and Pirates

Under that - Peter Pan, Pooh, Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, Small World, Dumbo/Carpets/Atro-Orbiter, Mermaid, Barnstormer and such as C tickets

D-tickets - Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, People Mover, Treehouse, Riverboat, Train, Tom Sawyer's Island, Tiki Room

I would say that Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear, and Stitch would be solid "D" attractions, while Barnstormer would be a "C." Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is a tough call between "C" and "D."

I would say that Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear, and Stitch would be solid "D" attractions, while Barnstormer would be a "C." Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is a tough call between "C" and "D."

I agree with those, except that I'd put Monsters Inc at a C, and on the lower end of that spectrum. The only E-tickets in the park IMO would be Splash, Big Thunder, Space, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion.

We know it is not a C-ticket if the old Snow White dark ride is there, and this is most certainly a step up from that.

From what I saw when I was there during Cast previews, it did not look on the grand scale of Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, or other top tier rides. It looks like a very solid, very well done ride, but not quite on *that* level. I'd put it as a solid D-ticket. Once the newness wears off, I think it will fit comfortably in that position in most people's minds, much like Mermaid has by now.

Now that everything is finally open, we can take a step back and measure just how much New Fantasyland has added to Magic Kingdom. Unlike what some hysterical people would have you believe, New Fantasyland turned out to be much more than a bunch of meet n' greets. From Storybook Circus to the Tangled bathrooms and everything in between looks really, really good. Mermaid, Mine Train, Dueling Dumbos, and even the repackaged BarnStormer are all solid attractions in their own right. What can you say about Be Our Guest restaurant other than just how amazing it is visually? Every person I've shown it to here in CA, theme park people or not, are just blown away by how it looks. The food itself is great as well. I can't recall anyplace outside of Tokyo that I've had a better quick service lunch in. Even the Casey Jr. fountain turned out much better than I figured it would, and kids seem to have a ton of fun in it as a wait-free respite from the brutal Florida humidity. So you have all that, and I haven't even mentioned the meet n' greet spaces. This is hardly *just* meet n' greets.

For their target audience, I'm sure the new opportunities to meet various Princesses add even more to the experience New Fantasyland has brought to Magic Kingdom. Admittedly, I had fun being a suit of armor in the Enchanted Tales with Belle. So this is a VERY solid area, certainly in the running for strongest theme in the park. I look forward to having a great time in "New" Fantasyland for years to come.