TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

What I am really most concerned about is not the theme of the Starbucks matching Main Street and its image. They will figure it out. I am concerned that the prices are going to be much higher than at Main Street Bakery. My family always used our snack credits on the DDP for our breakfast the next day and this was our go-to-stop. Hopefully, the DDP and Starbucks also come to a partnership.

On a side note, if they replace Starring Roll's at Hollywood Studios with a Starbucks, (as they did mention in another report that they were looking at adding two to Hollywood Studios) I will be very upset. The Writer's Stop location could easily be converted and fit the theme, but I really, really liked the pastries at Starring Roll's. Though in the long run, I think that Hollywood Studio's is the park that really does make the most sense for a modern place like Starbucks.

I think you are worrying too much about the idea that certain menu items will be cut. Based on the existing location at California Adventure, we can expect the standard Starbucks menu items AND more. I can't imagine that they'll cut out the popular items that have been sold there for years. If anything this is adding variety to the bakery's menu, not taking it away.

I really think people are overreacting about the idea of Starbucks moving in. They aren't taking over the locations... The cast members who work them still work for Disney and not Starbucks. This will still be a Disney establishment at the end of the day.

I have a feeling that if it was announced that Nescafé or Joffrey's were going to be sold in these locations (as they actually are throughout Walt Disney World), we wouldn't be dealing with so much resistance. It is the addition of new products, not new management... There really shouldn't be anything for anyone to worry about.

Didn't Walt want us all to look towards the future and progress!!!

Kristen's favorite attraction is the Carousel of Progress. I know many of the lines and how Walt loved and built the attraction. I think he'd be totally cool with putting a Starbucks on Main Street.

It's not that I don't like the concept of introducing Starbucks to the Magic Kingdom park as a whole. I just hope that they incorporate it into Main Street very well (which, everyone has convinced me that they will).

Now that I think about it, it's no different than having plastic bottles of Coca-Cola in a themed refrigerator.

Uhm...guys...it takes money to build new attractions. It's safe to assume a Starbucks branded coffee shop is going to do WAY more business than the old place ever did with NESCAFE. The end.

Taking out the Penny Arcade for more retail space was far worse than introducing Starbucks to Main Street.

Yeah, that was annoying. I loved the penny arcade. There's a place at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco that has a lot of similar penny machines. I always visit it when I'm in the city.

It's humorous that people are upset about Starbucks. I would think the introduction of Starbucks at DCA is proof that Disney can fit it in with little to no change at all to the overall experience. I'm glad to hear they are moving forward with more Starbucks. It's been a while since I've heard anything so I was starting to wonder, though I assumed it was only a matter of time (I had read that DCA's is already the highest grossing location in the US).

^Yeah, I just found a picture of theMenu Board at DCA on some Disney Food blog site and the prices looks pretty "normal" for Starbucks. I'm still kind of curious about this because even with limited hours and "normal" prices I would think the volume of business this location does is pretty significant compared to most normal starbucks. It might not be as high as somewhere like Times Square but I bet it's up there.

For all those who are worried about the Main Street Bakery becoming too "Starbucks like," could it possibly look any worse than, say this?

Note the somewhat obtrusive, non-period GAF logo.

Or this?

You can make a case that the Carnation logo fits in better than the GAF logo, at least.

If anything, I think Disney is doing a better job at this sort of "rebranding" now than they did in the past.

Edited by cfc

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/its-time-to-celebrate-the-magic-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Back in August, we told you about “Celebrate the Magic,” a new nighttime projection show coming to Magic Kingdom Park. Well, our Creative Entertainment team has been working around the clock to get everything ready, and now it’s almost show time!

“Celebrate the Magic” pays tribute to the artistry and imagination of Disney stories, from beloved classics to contemporary favorites.

As the show begins, Tinker Bell appears to fly around Cinderella Castle, weaving in and out of the turrets. She splashes pixie dust on the castle, transforming it into a spectacular piece of living art. As the pixie dust subsides, we are taken back to the beginnings of pencil animation, and we see Walt Disney, the original magic maker, drawing Mickey Mouse. With a little magic from Tinker Bell, Walt’s paintbrush flies off the page and comes to life, creating imagery that carries us away on a fantastic journey.

We travel down the rabbit hole with Alice, soar high above the Big Top with Dumbo and visit the African savanna with Simba. Our adventure takes us into the worlds of “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Brave,” and at one point, Cinderella Castle is even reimagined as the 8-bit video game home of the Nicelanders in Disney’s newest smash, “Wreck-It Ralph.” The whole show comes full circle for a magical finale filled with wonder and emotion.

“’Celebrate the Magic’ draws its inspiration from the love we all share for Disney’s memorable characters, their stories and the imagination that brought them to life,” says Show Director Katy Harris. “The team has been able to combine advances in technology with spectacular imagery and a stirring musical score to create a stunning and immersive way of storytelling. ‘Celebrate the Magic’ takes us on a journey full of wonderful moments our guests will never forget.”

As a special treat, “Celebrate the Magic” debuts with a segment of the show created just for the holiday season, featuring the return of the gingerbread castle seen during our original projection show, “The Magic, The Memories and You!”

Fans of the seasonal updates to that show will also be pleased to learn the tradition will continue with “Celebrate the Magic.” Look for the arrival of favorite Disney couples in January, a trip to the beach with “Lilo & Stitch” and “The Little Mermaid” during the summer months, and an influx of Disney villains in time for next Halloween.

“Celebrate the Magic” will be presented most evenings at Magic Kingdom Park, beginning this week! Please check DisneyWorld.com or the in-park Times Guide for specific dates and times.

ctm893062.jpg.e46efbe35e80744a4bc0dbc1d4c2e53e.jpg

ctm890635LARGE.jpg.8627e9cdb1d7dd6f9bebcb7ece709cd4.jpg

ctm091865LARGE.jpg.cc9900d1f8b8fcccf3b973290ecbc37e.jpg

ctm486546LARGE.thumb.jpg.5de6a472e5dd0d69bcc445b469693a42.jpg

ctm845056LARGE.jpg.007d773891cf7f95093315e5fdaa502d.jpg

^"I'm gonna wreck it" is hilarious. Nice job capturing that old-school video game look.

As long as they keep the made-to-order ice cream sandwiches, this change is fine by me.

Agreed.

Edited by cfc