TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Question about Intamin Impulses

When I was at SFGAM and waiting in line for V2 I noticed that the first launch was alwyas different. Sometimes the train went to the top of the spike, sometimes the last car didnt hit the twists at all. Why is that? Does it have to do with the weight on the train or how long between launches? Also does anyone know why they arent using the holding brake?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my rides on both Wicked Twister and Voodoo/Possessed have been different. I've seen no consistency at all.

Well as a former ride op at Wicked Twister (briefly for a week my normal ride was Raptor) I can assure you it is the amount of people/ weight in the train. It doesn't weigh the train or anything like that. It does have a cool touch screen at the controls that I enjoyed playing with looking at all the vitals of the ride

When I was at SFGAM and waiting in line for V2 I noticed that the first launch was alwyas different. Sometimes the train went to the top of the spike, sometimes the last car didnt hit the twists at all

It doesnt go to the top of the spike on the first launch ever. The holding brake doesnt work anymore (as of mid last season), if it is fixed it wont be until at least FF or next season.

I am glad the holding break doesn't work! I just rode Steel Venom a couple weeks back and it was pretty fun, but that spike ruined me as a man. Do any other TPR members relate to that?

If you mean Valleyfairs then I agree, that holding break is terrible (double pulse). V2's never really bothered me and seemed much smoother.

I've been on two impulses, and I loved Posessed (or Steel Venom when I was at GL), and even though the launch was far more punchier than Wicked Twister, I didn't like the holding brake one bit. I felt it ruined the freefall with the slight jerking.

As for the topic question, it's the second launch that is the one where you hit the top of the spike (which freaks me out as why I prefer the back lol).

I've never noticed any inconsistency between all my rides on Wicked Twister. Each time I've ridden the train seems to go roughly the same distance up the spikes.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Perhaps the OP is getting confused because it takes a couple launches back and forth for the train to reach it's maximum height...it doesn't go it's highest on the first launch.

It doesnt go to the top of the spike on the first launch ever.

I guess I was trying to get my point across of how big of a difference in the first launch I was seeing. And from the station I couldn't see the front car so I don't know how high it went. The back car however, sometimes it didn't hit the twists and other times it went high enough that I couldn't see it unless the station roof was gone.

^Quick summary:

First launch-forward, not very fast, gets about halfway up the spike, if that

Second launch-backward, faster, gets pretty much all the way up the spike

Third launch-forward, very fast, gets all the way up the spike

Fourth launch-backward, very fast, gets all the way up the spike, holding brake if in use

Fifth launch-forward, slower than the third and fourth launches, gets about two thirds of the way up the spike

That's how it's always been. I've never seen anything else on any impulse.