TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's Deep South 2009 Trip!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, I like snacks! This update made me hungry. Dollywood really does have some of the best park food. Next time I'm gonna have to get some of that cinnamon bread...

First time I rode Thunderhead, I reached the top of the lifthill and heard loud crashes of thunder all around. I thought it was part of the theming. (No, actual thunder!) Tennessee Tornado has held up surprisingly well for an Arrow looper - it was still running great when I rode it last year. And I love Mystery Mine! (Even though I do now love Fluch von Novgorod just a little bit better...) And let's not forget the awesomeness of the Mountain Slidewinder...

Dollywood rocks, one of my absolute fave parks! Can't wait to go back!

I've been to Dollywood so many times but I've never tried the skillet food (always ate the buffet) or the cinnamon bread. I didn't even know that the cinnamon bread even existed. I must try it next time I go.

I'm not sure I understand the anti-skillet comments. I mean, I had from the skillets a Philly Cheesesteak sandwhich and the chicken fajitas. Ok, sure, these are not the OMFG BEST of the two types of food I have ever had...but at a THEME PARK...absolutely!

And trust me, I've eaten food at hundreds of parks all over the world, and I'm not sure many parks can compare to the overall quality of Dollywood.

I would really challenge someone to find me BETTER quick-service, walk-up food stand options at another park.

--Robb "I can only think of Epcot's Food & Wine Festival..." Alvey

I'm not sure I understand the anti-skillet comments. I mean, I had from the skillets a Philly Cheesesteak sandwhich and the chicken fajitas. Ok, sure, these are not the OMFG BEST of the two types of food I have ever had...but at a THEME PARK...absolutely!

I'll take a stab at it:

The skillet food was really hyped up in TRs. So, I guess I was expecting too much because I found the Philly cheese steak to be vastly inferior to what you can get at friggen' Penn Station. You know, just regular old Penn Station that you can get all over Ohio. No need to go to Philadephia for their super 31337 local heart stopping, only-available-to-awesome-East-Coast-people fare.

I think the skillets put on a great spectacle. It really does look fantastic. But because of "the show" they wind up leaving the food in there too long, which causes it to get overcooked and soggy.

But, yes, I don't know where to get a better Philly at a theme park.

... Robb was saying they probably AREN'T the best of their kinds in the world, but hard to beat in the theme park world.. I don't think he (or anyone) would argue better food can be found outside the park

I've only ever had one bad meal at Dollywood... and ironically enough, it was at an ACE event

We all have different tastes whether it be in food, coasters or whatever.

I don't know about anyone else, but my first time at Dollywood I tried the cheesesteak and just found it very bland and dry.

Next trip I tried the sausage to give the skillet food another chance and just didn't like it. Maybe I'm spoiled by having eaten much better cheesesteaks and sausage, albeit mostly outside of theme parks. Although I have had better cheesesteaks at Great Adventure (Ted's in the Boardwalk area) and at Morey Piers. I even had a better cheesesteak at SFGAm 4 years ago. I've had better sausage at Knoebels and also some of the Jersey Shore parks.

Sorry, I just call food as I taste it, I either like it or don't and being that the skillet food was talked up so much ahead of time I was disappointed and thought it was overrated. I'm a food snob.

To me it's the same way with any food at an amusement park whether it be pizza or hamburgers.

I don't hate Dollywood's skillet food, I just don't think it is that good.

Deep south trip is over

HOWEVER! Highlights!

-My skillet food from Dollywood was the giant hotdogs of death, buried in cheese and decent chili, i love the food there

-My tail belt making it on every ride, AND starring in a ton of photos, Turned heads at a lot of parks

-SFOG Being a wonderful ending note, 13 rides on mindbender in a row then 5 on goliath before we had to leave

-Dixielands kiddie coaster of death being awesome as usual

-RAMPAGE ERT! Jesus, STILL my #1 wooden, and the INSANE night rides of ejector-airtime craziness just kept making it harder and harder to top in my list

-ERT In general being amazing, excluding the whole walk-around-to-ride-again policy at Dollywood, that kinda ruined the kick from chain rides since we had to sprint incessantly to get a lot of ERT Rides in

Theres more, i'm just tired while waiting for my flight home, i'll post a full TR At some point

Christine and I are waiting for our plane to leave. I had such a good time and I am now exhausted! Everyone was awesome and my favorite part of the trip was meeting and hanging out with new people! Oh, and the food at Dollywood! YUM!!! Oh, and Mindbender! Oh, and Monster Mansion! I guess I had a lot of favorites!

Thanks to Robb and Elissa for planning a great trip! You more than exceeded my expectations!

I want to go to Dollywood soooo bad! I have heard so many good things about it. Maybe eventually I will get the chance.

One of these days I will get the oppurtunity to go on one of the TPR trips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that this being my 2nd TPR Trip I am absolutely enamored with how much fun I had. I must admit that, being that this trip was shorter than East Coast, I was slightly skeptical about whether or not I would have fun. Ice Bat promptly corrected me though as, together, we learned about DollyFood, Foofa and the multiple uses of squeegees.

Now I could go on and on and on about what fun the coasters were and start picking them apart, but I'm not going to even fool myself into thinking that my little bit of coaster knowledge can even compare to my compatriots in TPR. I'm really more taken in by the personalities of the people that come on these trips. I truly am thankful for all the friendships that were built on this trip.

This is not to say that the coasters were not a memorable part of the trip. The coasters are FANTASTIC! I was introduced to my new #1 wood and #1 steel on this trip. (Thunderhead-DollyWood and Goliath-SFOG respectively LOL) None of it would have meant much though without having been able to share the experience with each and every person on the trip. It also helps that we were also featured on local news. LOL

Theme Park Review on WDEF News, Chattanooga,TN

If any of you are thinking of going on a TPR trip in the future, I must leave you with this. I can't think of any friendship in my life that is more binding and more lasting than the ones made through TPR. It truly is summer camp for adults. Robb and Elissa are just absolutely tops in making this happen.

It's great to hear so many positives about Rampage. My night rides on it back in '03 were unreal! Have they fixed the clunk when the train rolls over the transfer track yet? It felt like about a half inch difference in track height there before. Overall a GREAT coaster!

Just got home from hanging out with Robb, Elissa, KidTums, Tyler, Dan and the rest of the TPR crew at SFOG. Also got to talk to Adam and Brian of the Adam and Brian show for a bit. Thanks guys for being awesome and letting me hang out with all of you. I had a blast! Thought I would throw out a few pics I took today...

Rob(Coasterbear30) you just know how to make someone jealous! LOL. I would have so been with you on Thursday if it hadn't been for this "job!" Boo I so wanted to meet our TPR celebs! I'm glad you had a great time! Maybe I can join in on a TPR trip in the future!

Again.... DARN YOU Rob! My jealousy has fully erupted! LOL :0)

AND!!!!

But glad to see TPR is getting the local media noticing all the crazy people riding coasters.

I also forgot to mention it was on the FRONT PAGE of today's paper.

OMG! Rob(Coasterbear30) has already made me jealous! NOW I find out that the TPR crew was practically in my backyard at Lake Winnie!!!! OMG! Again! I would have so skipped out on work if I had know I could have met the famous Alvey's and other TPR celebs!

I'm so sad.... maybe next time... :0(