TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

With the crazy hot weather, I considered doing Mile High Falls, but it seemed everyone else had the same idea. Full queue. Unfortunately it was only running one boat, so I stood on the bridge instead for a quick cooling-off splash before going back by Storm Chaser.

^ sometimes standing on the bridge away from the bus stop cover is more fun than the actual ride but just my opinion.

So had my 2nd visit at this park and while it wasn't as dead as the last time (which was a June weekday lol) considering it's peak summer I was still surprised how not crowded the park was, like compared to what you would expect. If not for some 1 train ops (and some brutally slow ops) lines would've been maybe a few minutes for things! 

Two interesting notes: I got one new cred of my mini midwest trip which was Kentucky Flyer and what a fantastic little ride! I have to contemplate if its top 10 wood worthy. 

I didn't know/notice Storm Chaser doesn't have its restraints lock solid!? At least on nearly all my rides I mean it locked but I was able to lift it somewhat!? Unlike other esp RMCs where it doesn't move. Won't lie....was a tad scared and I had to really tell myself "you know its safe and they wont release the train if there's anything off" but wow, going on an RMC where the restraint had some space/give. That was something else lol 

As for Thunder Run to each their own but I found it incredibly meh. I actually wish it was rougher! Like at least you'd feel something. It was just slow and boring otherwise :(

I've noticed the same, and admittedly is a little unnerving at times too. Those style lap bars almost never usually have any upward give once they're down, but there's maybe an inch of it with Storm Chaser. I often give another tighter push down after the train's dispatched because (unlike some crazies in this community) I actually like to feel secure when the ride is attempting to toss me into the next county over. 😅

• Like 1

Ha, I noticed the same a few weeks back.  I wouldn't say it was alarming, but it was definitely something I didn't expect.  It didn't affect the ride experience either way, just a minor quirk I suppose.

Just posted up my report from my visit to this park on June 30th, right here.  Check it out and see if Thunder Run was truly worthy of being my 250th!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Sunday is my first time at KI and on Saturday I'll be hiring KK on the way up. My last visit was in 2020 and I was unlucky enough to have storm chaser breakdown before I could ride. The plan is to get there around 3 so theres plenty of time to ride. How slammed should I expect the park to be?