TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

1 hour ago, thepoint4life23 said:

Hearing about the staff kind of scares me from going, Just not wanting to deal with people. I am still going to go and enjoy myself

What I understand is hit the big coaster first then go to water park if you plan to.?

How does the line for deep water dive get? 

Nah, don't let it keep you from going.  If you're going for the rides, you'll still have a good time.  The staff is just lifeless; they're not going to do anything to add to the day, but they're not going to ruin it either.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a last minute decision to stop at fair yesterday after having not been to any park in over a month. Things are a little finnicky with getting to either the fair or the park, but you can tell they're trying hard to make getting to Kentucky Kingdom more streamlined without having to deal with fair crowds and parking.

20210821_162712.thumb.jpg.a26c0acd80fe8e054f9b3b34ecf51af4.jpg

To get to Kentucky Kingdom, you HAVE to use Gate 2 off of Crittenden Drive (road along Storm Chaser). It's about the only time you'll really deal with cars trying to get to the fair. Once inside, the 4-lane road is split with two right lanes leading to specific parking lots for KY Kingdom, and the left 2-lanes leading to the rest of the Expo Center with parking for the fair. There was a bit of confusion on my part, because I (trying to park for the fair) managed to park in what I believe was 100% dedicated as KK employee lot (lot L). I got all the way into the park before looking at a map on my phone and realized it wasn't listed as parking for either the park OR the fair. I left and relocated out of fear I'd get towed...

20210821_170238.thumb.jpg.ae42738c3ae04ce6619f05d86c9b9f3e.jpg

Getting to KY Kingdom: there's a path leading from KK's dedicated parking lots, and there's a fence erected keeping fair attendees and park visitors physically separated, unless you can show proof of fair admission to a fair personnel at an opening between the park entrance and the Expo center. When I left KK less than an hour prior to park closing, this gap between the Fair and the park had closed. It took groups of people split off from one-another to signal to fair security to reopen the gap and let them and myself thru, again with proof of Fair admission. If you hope to do both attractions, I DO NOT recommend parking in Kentucky Kingdom's lot since you might have difficulty accessing their parking lots afterwards.

I parked in lot C (Fair parking) and walked thru Thrillville and arrived at KK at 4pm. The park was very easy-going compared to the last few times I've gone. Very light crowd making for decently short waits for almost anything and really easy distancing between folks. There were a few notable rides that weren't operating when I arrived, but I don't know if it was because they closed early, required shifting around staff, or had been closed all day. T3, Eye of the Storm, 5D Cinema, and Big Wheel were the ones I saw closed.

20210822_012629.thumb.jpg.e35ac6693363f77e3971902dc4dced62.jpg

And a side note, I got a hold of a cinnamon bread loaf, but the breads I saw didn't quite look like the soft cinnamon bread I first saw a month ago. It also mostly tasted like regular bread with a small hint of cinnamon sugar flavor. Could've been an odd batch, or could be a different recipe used. Wasn't quite sure, but wasn't quite on par with what I was expecting.

Still, if anyone was looking for quick ways to get their credits, I'd certainly recommend coming to the park during the fair as it's pretty easy to get around the park plus water park at this time.

20210821_201608.thumb.jpg.73cf56ac22a060914cd71dd44684466e.jpg

I left the park roughly 30 minutes prior to closing and managed to get back to the fair side.

This year, the fair followed thru with getting Kissel Entertainment for their ride supplier instead of North American Midway Entertainment, which they were hoping to do last year before the fair had to be closed to the public. I got to see these folks earlier this year in June (as well as the past few years) at the Bluegrass fair in Lexington, and the lineup they had at the state fair was just about the same. It's a much better lineup than recent years with NAME, and I'm sooo happy they managed to get them to showcase at the state fair! A pinfari coaster, wacky worm, and dragon wagon for credits. Plus a KMG speed, KMG Inversion, small  ARM drop tower, Larson Fireball, classic rock-o-plane, a Chance swinging ship, a Matterhorn, and more thrill rides.

20210821_161541.thumb.jpg.3b24abd00b0688d93ac43af7bc26f331.jpg

20210821_184235.thumb.jpg.80deeb709f4e7140f89a50423d0ab622.jpg

If you're looking to maybe go but avoid big and tight crowds, I'd recommend going much earlier in the day and leaving before 5 or 6pm when there's far less people on the midway and significantly shorter waits. I've had no hassle wearing a mask everywhere I went, but keep in mind you might be elbow-to-elbow on occasion.

Regardless, all in all was a fun night, and it was nice to get back to a park after a while without much personal trips! I shot a bunch of clips on my camera to hopefully finish the usual KY State Fair and KK video I try to do each year (when I can).

Edited by Midgetman82
Loads of typo's, whoops.
  • Like 1

^What's an astro wheel? Is it a thrill ride where the cars spin or just a weird kind of Ferris Wheel, I tried looking it up but that POV is so jittery and blurry I can't even tell.

1 hour ago, Midgetman82 said:

Just dual ferris wheels.

Those sure look like Zipper seats.  They also sure look quite flippy.

Edit - Nevermind, they're just regular seats that alternate directions (one facing in, one facing out).

17 hours ago, Midgetman82 said:

20210822_012629.thumb.jpg.e35ac6693363f77e3971902dc4dced62.jpg

And a side note, I got a hold of a cinnamon bread loaf, but the breads I saw didn't quite look like the soft cinnamon bread I first saw a month ago. It also mostly tasted like regular bread with a small hint of cinnamon sugar flavor. Could've been an odd batch, or could be a different recipe used. Wasn't quite sure, but wasn't quite on par with what I was expecting.

"When you order Cinnamon Bread on Wish.com." lol Yeah that definitely doesn't look like the trademark Hershend Cinnamon Bread. More like a cheap knockoff or something. Wonder whats up with that?

Way back in the day I always enjoyed checking out Kentucky Kingdom during the state fair. I'm not much of a fair ride guy but  the atmosphere was always fun and having a giant fair set up right next door to an open amusement park was always such an weird vibe that you can't help but enjoy it. Nothing like grabbing a few laps on a coaster then checking out the prize winning hogs and watermelons lol. Nice report.

21 hours ago, Garet said:

^What's an astro wheel? Is it a thrill ride where the cars spin or just a weird kind of Ferris Wheel, I tried looking it up but that POV is so jittery and blurry I can't even tell.

Same as a Skydiver (terrifying!) but with the upright, non-inverting seats you see.  Plug-N-Play parts.  There aren't many rides you can find that are more effective at being terrifying.

9 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

"When you order Cinnamon Bread on Wish.com." lol Yeah that definitely doesn't look like the trademark Hershend Cinnamon Bread. More like a cheap knockoff or something. Wonder whats up with that?

I'm banking on this just being an odd batch from this day. You can go back to the previous page and see what the bread was like when it was first introduced. I'm willing to give it another try whenever I go back to the park again this season, maybe getting it earlier in the day when they're probably freshly made too!

20210703_132544.jpg

^From when I got a loaf in early July. So soft, so sweet!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Is the park gonna be open in October? With Kennywood closing Curtain, looking at KK as a back up weekend of the 15th.

I don't think that it is this year, the calendar doesn't have any days listed and if they haven't announced a Halloween event by now pretty sure they aren't doing one. I'm going to be in that area first weekend in October, we're even staying in a hotel right next to KK for a night so being next door to a closed park is gonna be a real bummer, but oh well.

It looks like the park has a new general manager,  Sarah Worrell.  Craig Ross, the former GM of Kentucky Kingdom, will assume a new role as the president of Kentucky Kingdom.

Kentucky Kingdom names new general manager - Louisville Business First (bizjournals.com)