TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

I wasn't that worried but that's great news.

SDC and Dollywood know their base and basically have to pander to it but unless they're boxed into that weird situation a gated park would be dumb not to sell alcohol. It prints money and the markup is insane.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

SDC and Dollywood know their base and basically have to pander to it but unless they're boxed into that weird situation a gated park would be dumb not to sell alcohol. It prints money and the markup is insane.

Especially in Kentucky, last I checked there are quite a few manufacturer's of fine distilled spirits in the area that I'm sure would love to partner up and have a tasting room at the park......

Seriously though I think this park has a pretty bright future. I'm from KY, don't live there any more, but in the time I've been gone tourism in the state has grown exponentially. Lots of new hotels and restaurants and stuff, even in the little town I'm from, and plenty of people traveling there for the Bourbon distilleries and other attractions. I'm not sure what effect Covid had on all of that but the dynamics of that region are much different now than when Six Flags was operating the park, and much different than Wild Adventures in Valdosta which this has been compared to quite a bit.

14 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Exactly. I worked at a park that sold alcohol and it was so rare it caused any issues. Hell, even the part of the Koch family that bought Alabama Adventure has added alcohol back now.

I’m hoping Herschend will at least be able to improve the park’s operations. When I visited KK in 2019, I though it was a good looking park with a great ride lineup, but operations left a bit to be desired. One train running on all coasters despite relatively long lines, and service was a bit slower than you’d expect. Overall, I expect Herschend to be a positive change for the park going forward, I look forward to seeing any improvements they make.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VF15 said:

I’m hoping Herschend will at least be able to improve the park’s operations. When I visited KK in 2019, I though it was a good looking park with a great ride lineup, but operations left a bit to be desired. One train running on all coasters despite relatively long lines, and service was a bit slower than you’d expect. Overall, I expect Herschend to be a positive change for the park going forward, I look forward to seeing any improvements they make.

That's always been my biggest complaint about the park too, even though I live in L'ville I'd much rather go to Holiday World or Kings Island instead.

• Like 1

I got a season pass for the first time last year. I never had a bad experience but my expectations were not very high with the covid situation but KK was less frustrating than my visit to Six Flags St. Louis during the summer.

43 minutes ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

So will Herschend finally rid the world of T3?

I could definitely see them putting in another Mack Launched Spinner in its place if so. The park could also use a small footprint B&M.

6 minutes ago, sdcfan88 said:

I could definitely see them putting in another Mack Launched Spinner in its place if so. The park could also use a small footprint B&M.

I don't really see them spending that kind of money any time soon myself.  Hope you are right.

• Like 1

True, not right away but eventually. I think it will greatly help the park to retire all the remaining cloned/shuttle coasters it has. (which really T3 is the sole survivor)

T3 probably isn't going anywhere IMO.  The general public likes it well enough, and the park's social media presence has embraced the fact that it's pretty much become a meme among the coaster community, which makes it super marketable for the park overall.  Although we'll see if this changes at all under Herschend (hopefully not).

Alas, we will never see another Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. Unpopular opinion, but I kinda liked it when it was under the Six Flags name. I know it was dirty as heck, but they had a solid lineup, especially Chang. If that godforsaken ride op didn't MUTILATE that girl's foot on Superman... (my foot just hurts READING about that.)

2 hours ago, mary.pesik said:

I know it was dirty as heck, but they had a solid lineup, especially Chang.

Yeah it makes me sad when any park loses a B&M. That's why I made my original statement above. Herschend has the money to give the park one once again if they wanted to even if it's a small compact invert or some other type.

1 hour ago, tndank said:

With Banshee and Orion an hour away I'd say there is a chance B&M can't work with KK any time soon due to contracts. 

You can add Thunderbird to that list as well. For the money both parks spent on their B&Ms, it wouldn’t be surprising to see a clause like that 

28 minutes ago, HWLover said:

You can add Thunderbird to that list as well. For the money both parks spent on their B&Ms, it wouldn’t be surprising to see a clause like that 

I've heard of that clause but I had recalled it's for the same coaster type, not the manufacturer in general. That leaves us with a Floorless, Dive, or maybe even an Invert if they built it around 2023 at the soonest. I wouldn't expect an immediate investment on that scale until at least that year anyways.

5 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

I've heard of that clause but I had recalled it's for the same coaster type, not the manufacturer in general. That leaves us with a Floorless, Dive, or maybe even an Invert if they built it around 2023 at the soonest. I wouldn't expect an immediate investment on that scale until at least that year anyways.

I agree. Holiday World is my home park and the waiting game gets... painful... but at least it pays off when they do invest in a major attraction. I doubt we’ll see any 15+ mil rollercoaster for a long time, but I definitely could see them adding a small steel coaster, even if it is just something like an S&S free spin or a bigger one like a raptor. Hey, I’d take another Chance ride like Lightning Run down the road! I wouldn’t mind lightning striking twice 

7 hours ago, HWLover said:

I agree. Holiday World is my home park and the waiting game gets... painful... but at least it pays off when they do invest in a major attraction. I doubt we’ll see any 15+ mil rollercoaster for a long time, but I definitely could see them adding a small steel coaster, even if it is just something like an S&S free spin or a bigger one like a raptor. Hey, I’d take another Chance ride like Lightning Run down the road! I wouldn’t mind lightning striking twice 

My Dream scenario would be a chance hyper with a 160ish lift hill into a tunnel. I believe there are only a couple spots on the property that can have a ride that tall so they would have to get creative