TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

So my friend and I will be taking a trip to the park next weekend along with Holiday World. My friend actually wants to go both parks the same day despit the long drive we’re going to have. So I might as well ask what the crowds are going to like at KK on a Saturday. We’re coming from Chicago so the plan is to leave at 6 am next Saturday even though I tried I’m trying to convince him we should leave Friday afternoon since I’m off work and he only works until 10:30. As for HW we’re only going there to get some night rides on the coasters.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kentucky Kingdom can definitely be done in a half day provided you do not want to do the water park.

If you can get there at a little before opening, go right to Lightning Run. Even on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, they only ran one train on it. Usually the coaster has a half hour wait for me.

After that, I'd make a loop hitting Kentucky Flyer and T3 on the way to Storm Chaser. The latter usually doesn't have a line because of its location.

I'm looking at doing KK and HW this weekend as well. Thanks for the info above.

What's the story on HW lines for coasters and the Wildeebeast/Mammoth?

The water coasters at Holiday World are awesome. I do know that they tend to have the longest lines of anything at Holiday World; however, I have only ridden them during ERT or on a cold, rainy day. I've heard they can each be an hour, but they do have single rider lines.

The longest line I've had to wait in at Holiday World was a half hour for Voyage (front row) or Legend when it only ran one train. And two of my three visits have been on holiday weekends.

Kentucky Kingdom can definitely be done in a half day provided you do not want to do the water park.

If you can get there at a little before opening, go right to Lightning Run. Even on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, they only ran one train on it. Usually the coaster has a half hour wait for me.

After that, I'd make a loop hitting Kentucky Flyer and T3 on the way to Storm Chaser. The latter usually doesn't have a line because of its location.

Thanks for the info man. As far as I know we’re aren’t going to the water park.

Looking forward to visiting KK tomorrow. We will spend the morning at Holiday World and afternoon/evening at KK. We only care about coasters. From what I've been reading we shouldn't have any problems getting multiple rides. We have no issue skipping T3 or riding it last if it's one of the more painful SLCs. I've only done the one at SFNE and apparently it is the best of the bunch.

And yes, we took advantage of the out-of state deal.

T3 is not that bad. You probably don't want to marathon it, but I think it gets bashed a bit more than it should. I've ridden it several times this year.

I know you said coasters only but man, Wildebeest at HW looks awesome. Can't wait to try it Saturday.

I'll be at KK Sunday morning, then hitting up Churchill Downs and betting on horses before returning back to Tennessee.

T3 is not that bad. You probably don't want to marathon it, but I think it gets bashed a bit more than it should. I've ridden it several times this year.

I know you said coasters only but man, Wildebeest at HW looks awesome. Can't wait to try it Saturday.

I'll be at KK Sunday morning, then hitting up Churchill Downs and betting on horses before returning back to Tennessee.

We'll save T3 for last then. It's funny that we used to have season passes to our local water park, Wet 'n' Wild Emerald Pointe, but have not visited the water parks at any of the 15 parks we've visited in the last two years that have them.

HW and KK are the appetizers. Kings Island will be the main course Saturday. Then Cedar Point will be dessert on Sunday.

So I just finished an amazing visit at the park. Got on all the coasters and rides I wanted to multiple times and even got front rides on Lightning Run and T3. I’m now heading for Holiday World to get some night rides on the coasters. No question I’ll be making a return trip KK again next. This was my third visit to the park overall.

Looking forward to visiting KK tomorrow. We will spend the morning at Holiday World and afternoon/evening at KK. We only care about coasters. From what I've been reading we shouldn't have any problems getting multiple rides. We have no issue skipping T3 or riding it last if it's one of the more painful SLCs. I've only done the one at SFNE and apparently it is the best of the bunch.

And yes, we took advantage of the out-of state deal.

Keep in mind that you’ll be losing an hour due to the time zone change going from Holiday World to Kentucky Kingdom! Also, a lot of the queue lines close at least 15 minutes before the posted park closing time in order to “empty out the line” by closing.

Have fun!!!

HW and KK are the appetizers. Kings Island will be the main course Saturday. Then Cedar Point will be dessert on Sunday.

I quit this hobby.

Storm Chaser was fun. But probably my least favorite RMC. Lightning Run was awesome. The ejector airtime on the last few hills is almost criminal. That said, if this were my home park, I would move.

Kentucky Flyer is perfect for what it is. The only coaster running two trains Friday.

^^ Excited to ride the Coasters in the Fall night air. Wonder where they will do a Haunted House, they used to have one in the old Picnic pavilions they tore down. Curious to see how this turns out.

Keep in mind that you’ll be losing an hour due to the time zone change going from Holiday World to Kentucky Kingdom! Also, a lot of the queue lines close at least 15 minutes before the posted park closing time in order to “empty out the line” by closing.

Have fun!!!

Thanks. I actually didn't think of that until we were driving over to KK from HW. It was no problem, as we were less than impressed with KK. My daughter, who knows nothing about the parks we visit beforehand (she just gets in the car), said, "This feels like a Six Flags park." We rode all the coasters we wanted to ride once and left. I found the layout of the park a bit weird. And having the water park in the middle of the dry park seemed a little odd.

• 1 month later...

T3 is not as everybody says. I have never had a problem with it. My thighs are very thick from running and just generally working on my feet all the time, and I've never felt any pain from the restraints. I've found that the pacing on this SLC is better than a lot of them. A lot of them really lose a lot of speed in the sidewinder

^ I don't think the restraints are the issue with T3. In fact, I'm thankful the restraints eliminate headbanging.

But the ride tracks so poorly that it felt like I was being repeatedly punched in the back.

Yes, I agree that the tracking is horrible. But that's more of a secondary issue. Personally for me I just can't enjoy the ride due to the stapling thigh crushing. Its an issue on Sky Rush too, so it might have something to do floorless lapbar coasters that get some G-force. I make sure to leave plenty of slack, but the G force just pushes the restraint hard into my thighs.

And then, on top of that, the roughness exacerbates the issue. I feel like with both of these rides, it might be nice to have a lock that locks the restraint in place, kind of like what Top Spins do.