TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

Has anyone noticed anything around the park that may hint to a new project? Markers, or clearing or anything?

Could be something, could be nothing...but I noticed today over by the exit of T3 and all around the ampitheatre area were all closed off to the public. Use to be able walk in that space, but it was closed off making a narrow walk-way from the exit of the ride through and back around to the entry point for it. Dunno if that's something or not but it was unusual in my book.

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at KK sunday the 13th for most of the day, about noon-closing We've been to the park a couple times in the last couple years so we know the park well. Mainly just curious about the crowds.

Thank you so much in advance

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at KK sunday the 13th for most of the day, about noon-closing We've been to the park a couple times in the last couple years so we know the park well. Mainly just curious about the crowds.

Thank you so much in advance

KY Kingdom crowds were okay. I went this saturday on way back from a few days at KI. The water park was packed. Lightning Run max wait was 25 minutes. Stormchaser was a walk on most of the day, couple of busy moments had to wait like 4 trains. People don't go to the back of the park and thus neglect the best ride in the park. The crappy Vekoma invert has a much longer line then Stormchaser.

Likely tolerable, and likely very hot. Don't forget the out-of-state tickets for free drinks, and use it to stay hydrated while waiting in line. Otherwise, you should be fine and able to get on all the coasters.

• 3 weeks later...

Some changes to the KY State fair that might be of interest to those who might be going this year.

The fair is moving the midway directly in front of Gate 1. Parking will be mainly behind the Kentucky Exposition Center where the midway was located.

The Midway (Thrill Ville/the rides) is no longer located to the right of Kentucky Kingdom's entrance. It's now smack-dab in the main parking lot in front of Kentucky Kingdom and the exposition center. (PDF Map) Old midway location will be more parking. Don't know if this means a heavy reduction of rides, but I guess we'll find out.

They're also using express lanes to get in the gates 1, 3, 4, and 6 quicker if you buy your tickets in advance, and they're using an app to help with which gates to go to. You also won't get to choose where to park. Everyone will be directed to which lot they need to go to.

Fair runs 17th-27th.

Now thru 16th -- Parking: $5/Admission: $7

August 17th-27th -- Parking: $10/Admission: $10

They can fit all of it in there, that's a big enough lot to fit it all in. It won't be as stretched out, but more compact. They might lose a few things, but most of it will fit. Before KY Kingdom came, the Fair Midway, used to be in the parking lot, behind the stadium, next to the highway.

I love going to the Fair and have since I grew up. Looking forward to the change, got my 6 tickets and parking passes.

Some changes to the KY State fair that might be of interest to those who might be going this year.
The fair is moving the midway directly in front of Gate 1. Parking will be mainly behind the Kentucky Exposition Center where the midway was located.

The Midway (Thrill Ville/the rides) is no longer located to the right of Kentucky Kingdom's entrance. It's now smack-dab in the main parking lot in front of Kentucky Kingdom and the exposition center. (PDF Map) Old midway location will be more parking. Don't know if this means a heavy reduction of rides, but I guess we'll find out.

They're also using express lanes to get in the gates 1, 3, 4, and 6 quicker if you buy your tickets in advance, and they're using an app to help with which gates to go to. You also won't get to choose where to park. Everyone will be directed to which lot they need to go to.

Fair runs 17th-27th.

Now thru 16th -- Parking: $5/Admission: $7

August 17th-27th -- Parking: $10/Admission: $10

I've not been to KK since it was a 6 Flags park. Is this the parking for KK also? If not what is the charge? I'll be there the end of next week for the 2 day special...

Yes. KK doesn't have a parking lot. You park in the Fair Board's lot to go to KK.

Even with the State Fair prices, parking looks to still be cheaper than many major theme parks!

Parking is dirt cheap by theme park standards.

Edited by Jobo

I've not been to KK since it was a 6 Flags park. Is this the parking for KK also? If not what is the charge? I'll be there the end of next week for the 2 day special...

Yes. KY Exposition Center and KK share the same parking lot (owned by State Fair Board, so they get the money). It's $8 per vehicle.

Something I didn't notice until checking their site just now is that KK will only be open to the public on Saturdays during the State Fair. Sundays are park buyout days and closed to the public. I would usually only go to the park on Sundays during the weekend, so this should be pretty interesting crowd-wise if I end up being able to go to the fair this year.

T3 still didn't track well despite the new trains when I rode it last year. It was still lightyears better than most SLCs solely because of there not being headbanging, but it still wasn't popular with most people. We saw Morey's completely fix the Great Nor'Easter, but that was a $5 million renovation.

Six Flags has added topper track to some of their woodies only to give them the I-box conversion a few years later, so it's not unprecedented for a park to invest money in fixing a ride only to go an entirely different route a few years later.