TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

I was at the park today. Spent about three hours there. It was as it always is. Nothing new to report.

How were the lines today? I'll be there tomorrow and Saturday morning on my out of state ticket special.

The lines today for the coasters were all very short - either in the station or just outside, but due to single trains on everything and slow moving ops some lines took up to 20 minutes. I walked right on to Storm Chaser almost every time though.

I took my 3 kids to Kentucky Kingdom for our first ever visit yesterday. We had a great time! On the positive side, the park was a little bigger than I anticipated and they have a great collection of flats. Lines were mostly nonexistent all day. The free drink wristband with the TPR code was a fantastic bonus.

The only negatives were the short operating hours (only open 11-7) and slow operations. All coasters were only running a single train, and even then dispatches were painfully slow. Compared to a park like Kings Island, which often operates 3 trains and really pushes dispatches, this was frustrating.

Coasters:

1. Storm Chaser - I thought I had experienced ejector airtime before this, but I was wrong. This coaster really tries to throw you out of the car on every hill. The rollover drop is also unique. Others have noted this, but I also think it's currently running much faster than some POVs I've seen. No lines all day. I got 5 laps in and my oldest rode it 9 times and declared it his new #1 overall.

2. Lightning Run - lots of fun with some good moments of ejector air as well. This packs a big punch in small layout. It doesn't let up and hits those final bunny hills with a lot of speed. Due to slow ops, we only got 2 rides in.

3. Thunder Run - A decent woodie that grew on me. After the first ride, I thought it was kinda meh. We rode it a lot through the day because of its central location in the back, it felt like we were always passing it! A couple floater hills and some decent speed, this was my 6 year olds favorite.

4. T3 - A Vekoma SLC... I didn't find it painful, but it was just not good, either. My 10 year old came off with some leg pain. And said he'd never ride it again.

5. Roller Skater - We took an obligatory lap on this for the credit. Better than some kiddie coasters, but nothing special other than the cool looking skate cars.

The rest

My daughter's favorite ride in the park was Eye of the Storm. We did a number of other flats and were never searching for things to do. I have never been as soaked on a water ride as we were on Mile High Falls. The Sea Lion show was good. Food didn't seem to be anything special (although they had a beer garden that I would have checked out if without children). We just ate burgers and fries and some dippin dots. We did not check out the water park at all, but it seemed to have some fun things to do.

We had a great time and would absolutely go back. Storm Chaser and Lightning Run are fantastic and worth a trip on their own. The rest of the park is enough to keep you busy. Here are some pics of our day.

20170602_102912.thumb.jpg.87495f67627ad8673bddf8dac090e10b.jpg

20170602_082626.thumb.jpg.7c4d9629dd9290356dd324c2aa140e61.jpg

20170602_082309.thumb.jpg.bce261e5fe534cac8c7495cd580338e0.jpg

20170601_181007.thumb.jpg.0c299aafa7395bd0bb2145bef027d306.jpg

20170601_153643.thumb.jpg.7f753aaa3d90c5dfb3217b34f247c853.jpg

20170601_154242.thumb.jpg.4441446f586699edeb46a4dece1506c4.jpg

New PTC train on Thunder Run for those who like this kind of thing

20170602_103145.thumb.jpg.0e956210d9b0df52341cc35c892e3361.jpg

20170601_150000.thumb.jpg.ebb28f58a3fd68605b1a743b74dc64fa.jpg

Sea Lion Splash!

20170601_144745.thumb.jpg.3d10e585d8439a06000fd3b92a596ebd.jpg

20170601_135821.thumb.jpg.7b2e89803dde2fae20788032e4615cb2.jpg

20170601_130536.thumb.jpg.c1e157451c9739e54c7c05013fde2274.jpg

20170601_131804.thumb.jpg.ab6e2ecfa58310f7dffc2aeaa02ed29f.jpg

20170601_125441.thumb.jpg.ad2762d5d2031a8684511080e8270f8f.jpg

20170601_124104.thumb.jpg.b527cfc08cf09bea72e04602f353eb3b.jpg

20170601_123146.thumb.jpg.328d83a5ca91e333cae18b6402f2aa76.jpg

20170601_123209.thumb.jpg.19677a065ea07916e3f75ba91c3cc6b6.jpg

20170601_123506.thumb.jpg.d918cadd6ce0590d9176f21970294da7.jpg

Battle scars from T3

20170601_114309.thumb.jpg.8a9f23026ff6b50b1fe101a566872c77.jpg

Mile High Falls splash

20170601_121553.thumb.jpg.3eb3e09308c0f9e22e8b67ff71edb617.jpg

Raging Rapid has a pretty cool station building

20170601_111402.thumb.jpg.619e48924261db5b063c20fef97a1bb8.jpg

Goodbye from Storm Chaser

- Sorry guys, but we didn't find Roller Skater very fun. Tried it once because some people said it was actually alright, and now I just feel trolled. Lol

I mean, it's fun for what it is but I don't think anyone here meant to imply that it was on the same level as the top coasters in the park. I'm really not sure what you could have possibly been expecting to be let down by it. It's just a Roller Skater but if I ever spent a full day at this park I would probably give it another ride. It's fun for a little family coaster.

Edited by coasterbill

- Sorry guys, but we didn't find Roller Skater very fun. Tried it once because some people said it was actually alright, and now I just feel trolled. Lol

I mean, it's fun for what it is but I don't think anyone here meant to imply that it was on the same level as the top coasters in the park. I'm really not sure what you could have possibly been expecting to be let down by it. It's just a Roller Skater but if I ever spent a full day at this park I would probably give it another ride. it's fun for a little family coaster.

Ditto this. It's better than Jr. Gemini-er... Wilderness Run by light years, and better than most kiddie or family coasters I've been on. It's still not like I even rode it more than once though... (Though I wouldn't have been opposed to, either!)

I mean, it's fun for what it is but I don't think anyone here meant to imply that it was on the same level as the top coasters in the park. I'm really not sure what you could have possibly been expecting to be let down by it. It's just a Roller Skater but if I ever spent a full day at this park I would probably give it another ride. It's fun for a little family coaster.

I definitely wasn't expecting it to be even close to as fun as any other coaster in the park lol. Although I'd prefer Roller Skater to T3 any day.

Does Kentucky Kingdom have a fast lane? I will be going for the first time was also wondering what are the crowds and ride operations like during the week? I will be going on a Thursday in June stopping on the way home from Kings Island going back to Minnesota.

Quick summary:

Lightning run was a TON of fun, and storm chaser was a SOLID ride as well (damn these rides both throw you around!); still not sure if I like wicked cyclone better or not, though (I did have 50/50 great rides vs painful rides due to my size and weight distribution ;-/)

Nothing special with Thunder Run (?) or whatever it's called, it wasn't terrible but there was nothing memorable about it. I'm not sure why they are advertising a 'new train'... was it worse before?

Oh, and T3 sucks and needs to be launched into the sun. Not even the vest restraints or a front row ride saved it. Although am I correct or crazy in the fact the ending is different than most SLCs? Like the track is straighter instead of having that awkward side to side bounce to line it up with the brake run. Like I said, it's been awhile since I've been on one of these.

Overall an awesome few hours and well worth the stop for $25. The waterpark looks a lot nicer than I realized but we just didn't have the time.

^You're correct, the first SLC's that were built had the final turn go under the first drop instead of above, and they go in a straight line instead of doing that little twisty bit at the end. I think there are only 2 or 3 of this version.

Edit: I checked RCDB, it lists this and Condor @ Walibi Hollanf d as the two 'prototype' SLC's.

Edited by viking86

Emily and I took a quick trip to KK this weekend. Emily turned 30 last week and I told it would be unacceptable to stay in town for her birthday weekend. We had two goals: Explore the park early on Saturday, and explore Louisville.

(My apologies for the junk camera phone pictures and any typos, as I made this TR with limited time.)

Unfortunately, the four hour drive was a little more uncomfortable than usual. A deer Kamikaze'd our Subaru Crosstrek, so we had to take our other Subaru race car. After a somewhat loud and rigid, but tolerable, four hour drive, I parked the race car and this was the first thing I saw!

"Bourbon!" Ah. We have arrived.

As per usual, we stayed at a Hyatt using our card points, but this time we stayed at a Regency, which was pretty nice. It was located immediately next door to "Fourth Street," which is a closed off street with restaurants and night life.

Massive atrium in this really nice hotel.

Unicorns?

We got to the hotel at around 9, but we ventured our for an hour or so to have a couple drinks.

A nice drink at Guy Fiere's restaurant. Some kind of Bourbon something or other.

The next day we woke up and grabbed some mediocre overpriced hotel buffet and headed to the park. I wasn't quite sure if I was going to love it or hate it, so I wasn't too excited. Reading Bill's quick TR earlier in the week, I understand what he was talking about with the parking confusion. At first, I thought our GPS screwed us again, but we ended up having an easy time finding our way to the park once we were through the parking gate. There are two parking entrances, but our GPS took us to the park and convention center entrance, which is really not what we were expecting.

We purchased our out of town tickets for $28/person which included two days and a wrist band for free drinks. What a value!

We hit Lightning Run first thing. We made the first train of the day and hopped on for a back row ride. This coaster is a blast. It was about as wild as I expected, from all of the reviews. I think it ended up being our favorite.

This coaster, along with everything else in the park, looks vibrant. We hopped back on immediately for a walk-on front row ride.

Next, we made our way toward Storm Chaser and really enjoyed the view along the way. Of note, the roadway that cuts into the middle of the park is not as intrusive or as much of an eye sore as I would have thought.

I took some shots of the general scenery. The trees and landscaping in this park are fantastic. It's like a budget version of Williamsburg.

Oh wait! Is that the log flume I've been hearing so much about!!!

Wait... wtf? This is not a log flume...

Yes, but is the splash the same? Oh... shit. We'll pass.

I believe the man in the back seat is crying.

Finally we found our way back toward my first ever I-Box conversion, and third RMC ever. All of the pictures I saw made the Storm Chaser area look like crap, but it really wasn't bad at all.

But wait... What the hell is this??? This can't be regulation! What a danger! What madness causes this gap to exist! This certainly can not meet Federal Fence Guidelines! You guys were right... Someone should speak to management, immediately. (kill me)

Fortunately, this plane flew by just long enough to remind me that I couldn't give two shits. Where as Lightning Run met my expectations, Storm Chaser exceeded them. I really enjoyed the ride and it took me by surprise. I also liked the barrel roll drop, which I had previously thought was kind of gimmicky. We rode it three times throughout the day, two in back, one in front. Was it awesome? Yes. However, it may have been a little too awesome. I found myself bracing for most of the rides, but I still enjoyed it. However, the bunny hops at the end are damn near painful. Either way, good times. It made me look forward to Mean Streak.

After that, we rode Thunder Run. I expected to hate it, but I actually enjoyed it. The track was pretty smooth for a traditional wooden roller coaster and the new trains were nice. Of course, I had more pressing business to attend to. Knowing my wife has an over immature obsession for phallic objects, I told her I had an Easter Egg to show her. No sooner than we rounded the bend of Dick Rock Falls did she see nature's beauty.

"Take my picture next to the penis rocks!" she exclaimed. Naturally I sent the picture off to my like minded Sister-In-Law and Mother-In-Law. They also got a kick out of it.

Obligatory

After that, we tried to kill ourselves and rode T3 in the front row. Mother of God... I had never ridden a SLC before and I never want to ride another. After this thing tried to remove my insides from my body it tried to cut off my legs on the break run. Never again. Emily was yelling in pain for most of the ride while I held on for dear life like I have never held on for dear life before on a coaster.

We walked around for a bit and just appreciated the interesting park layout, including how the water park is kind of intertwined with the dry park.

Everything in this park really looks pristine. We did ride the Ferris Wheel and it allowed us to look around at the park. This made me question where the hell they're going to put whatever they have in store for 2018.

Speaking of the interesting layout, here's an interesting fact: KK has a ton of places that sell alcohol, including the TWO pictured here!

Lightning Run was Emily's favorite, and I think it may have been mine as well. It has the perfect mix of wild and crazy, without the sheer intensity of Storm Chaser.

We also took a spin on this guy, which had some interesting animals. Emily really wanted to ride the chicken... The Carousel also had a mechanical band.

We also took a spin on Tin Lizzies and found their quirky theming of random cows and pigs pretty entertaining. We love random crap like that.

Taken from my usual seat on the car rides.

Lol.. ok.

It was nice to walk around from dry ride to dry ride being able to smell the chlorine.

Finally, it was time for a beer. We enjoyed people watching and taking a look at the park while being able to keep our plastic cups. Note, you CAN walk around and drink at this park. No beer prison!

I think we paid $20 for two beers. We got one refill for $7, since we kept the cup.

Seriously impressed with this place!

We decided to take our last ride of the day on Lightning Run. We snagged one last back seat ride.

After that, I made good on new tradition and played a game to win a prize for our dog. After $15 worth of failure on my last visit to SFSTL, I decided to go with the sure thing.

What kind of dog wouldn't want to tear up a pink turtle?

We left the park around 230, as we had more pressing business to attend.

Bourbon! The Evan Williams Bourbon tour was only a ten minute walk from our room. It was a decent tour, but it was more of a marketing location, where as we thought we were going to be going to the distillery.

Either way, it was still fun and we got a free taste!

One of the two tasting rooms.

We ended up going out to Doc Crowe's for dinner, which was a disappontment despite the $100 bill and 750 Yelp reviews. Oh well.

As far as Kentucky Kingdom goes, we really enjoyed the park and we wished we had spent the majority of our day there. The value is incredible and the park has a really nice feel to it. We rode all of the coasters, including the Junior coaster. I was also impressed with the quick glimpse and cleanliness of Louisville. We really had a fun time and we are most definitely planning a return trip. I'm thankful this park is only four hours away.

^ Awesome report and photos! Still giggling at Dick Rock Falls as every trip report since Coasterbill's now appears to have the iconic photo... lol. I agree the out of town special is awesome. Also, I did find the parking confusing as well, but we eventually figured it out. If that's all I had to complain about than they did a pretty good job!

I had the same problem with the parking when I first visited. The GPS took me to the wrong gate.

Great TR, especially the dick rock photos I'm glad you enjoyed Storm Chaser. Your description of T3 was perfect. I've been on two other SLCs that are not nearly as bad as T3, but I also don't have the confidence to say, "You should give other SLCs a try!" You're not really missing much if you never ride another.