TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

We have a general plan for a Memorial Day weekend. I never book in advance since I like to be able to change things on the fly due to weather but as of now the plan is to visit Kings Island Friday, Holiday World Saturday and Kentucky Kingdom Sunday.

I know you just can't wait to ride the parks new shiny yellow looping roller coaster. If you spot some enthusiasts in the queue while waiting make sure to refer to it as a roller coaster, I hear they love that.

I was thinking about joining Coaster Crew so I could go to their event at KK on Sunday, June 4. Their website says that registration opens soon. June 4 is only a week and a half away, so I thought registration would be open by now. I e-mailed them but didn't get a response. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

It seems like a hyper would be a bit over the top monetary wise after all the money they've spent in the past 3-4 years. Though it would kind of send a warning signal to Holiday World like "we're coming for your jugular".

Honestly as much as we'd love to see a hyper I think it would be a bad choice. Just visited this past weekend and the park already has two fantastic steel coasters - what they need IMO is attractions that takes up time.

The park is rarely crowded and has decent operations so unless you do the water park the average guest will likely be done in only a few hours. As a park owner I feel like you need the length of stay to be longer to get more off of F&B, merch, etc. Not sure what that attraction/s would be but they have to find a way to extend the length of a visit. I had lunch before the park, ate dinner afterwards - and didn't spend a dime there.

It seems like a hyper would be a bit over the top monetary wise after all the money they've spent in the past 3-4 years. Though it would kind of send a warning signal to Holiday World like "we're coming for your jugular".

People said the same thing about a B&M before they added Chang. Something like that would be precisely Hart's M.O.

Wouldn't the nearby airport interfere with adding a hyper?

That's exactly why I'm not counting on a B&M hyper for the park. The height restrictions through the park fluctuate, not to mention LR gives better air than any B&M hyper I've ridden...

I've heard that about the airport many times. A way to get around it is to build to 180 or so and then tunnel underground (or exploit a terrain feature), or they could just build an honorary hyper like Goliath at La Ronde.

Nothing says it would have to be B&M. While we're fantasizing, how about the third Intamin hyper wing?

We made our first trip to the park a few days ago. I have a full trip report on the way but I wanted to share some quick thoughts while they're fresh in my mind.

- What the actual f*ck is going on with that parking lot? There were some events going on and it took us forever to figure out where we were going. We were directed to some convention center thing by a parking attendant where I'm pretty sure there was a graduation going on after paying to park and we had to basically just go in, then come out of that lot later when he couldn't see us and keep attempting to find Kentucky Kingdom. I get that they share a parking lot and toll booth with other things, it's a clever system, Hershey does it too but they're organized when they do it. This is a clusterf*ck.

- We were really impressed with the park itself. Everything looked to be well maintained and freshly painted and it had a really nice vibe to it. The place looked brand new, you would never know it was sitting abandoned for years.

- Lightning Run was a great ride but I think it's a little overhyped. We rode up front and thought it was a nice little coaster but the fact that so many people prefer it to Storm Chaser is nuts to me. Lay off the drugs. Still, despite the fact that the restraints are really stupid and the ride ops were abysmal we enjoyed it.

- Thunder Run was fun! We had a short wait as the train before us decided to go full Gatekeeper mode and go on a bird murdering tirade so we had to wait for maintenance to show up and grab the poor thing out of the train. I assumed that they would use rubber gloves or tongs but it's Kentucky and they don't have time for that type of sh*t so they just picked the f*cker up with their bare hands and threw it in the trash. Poor bird.

- Storm Chaser... god damn. This thing is absolutely bonkers. The barrel rolling first drop is un-f*cking believable and everything following it is nuts. I expected this to be a step down from the other, larger Iron Horse conversion I've ridden (Wicked Cyclone) but it was just as, if not even more insane. WOW!!!!

- T3 was Brit's favorite ride in the park for some reason but I think it should be loaded on a rocket and launched into the sun.

We didn't have time for any non coaster rides but we did get a re-ride on Storm Chaser and we got a ride on Roller Skater too (which was fun... we didn't plan on riding it as we thought it was a kids coaster but after seeing it in person it's a perfectly respectable little ride and a ton of adults were riding so we hopped on). Overall I REALLY liked this place. Full report to come... eventually.

Glad to hear you had a good time, Bill.

Nothing says it would have to be B&M. While we're fantasizing, how about the third Intamin hyper wing?

I think you are definitely fantasizing. It would be nice to see chance take a swing at the hyper, after the reviews of Lightning Run.

Going to the park for the first time this Saturday morning from about 10-2. Hoping for light crowds.

I think we are overthinking it. Hypers are expensive - and park already has two airtime machines. It needs to balance out a collection of rides to attract families, not just coaster nerds. If you listen to clips from the offseason event Ed hints at family piece being important.

I think something like a White Lightning/Mine Blower one year, a CP Huntington train ride another year, and maybe the new Mack water coaster or solid dark ride.

^By the new Mack water coaster, do you mean the "power splash" that they built in Belgium, Pulsar?

I think you are definitely fantasizing.
I certainly am! I don't think any of this hypercoaster business is likely. I like the suggestion about a small wood coaster like either of those two around Orlando.

Wouldn't the nearby airport interfere with adding a hyper?

There's a few places they could put one, but it would virtually necessitate a whole new area of the park (not entirely a bad thing IMO), and it's questionable as to whether they even have access to the land necessary to build one. Is it doable? Yes. Would it shock me if it were to actually happen? Also yes. While I think a T-Rex (NOT a Raptor) tracked coaster may be in the park's future, I do think that the talks and speculation of a Hyper are mostly coming from people who don't understand just how genuinely hemmed in that park really is.

I think we are overthinking it. Hypers are expensive - and park already has two airtime machines. It needs to balance out a collection of rides to attract families, not just coaster nerds. If you listen to clips from the offseason event Ed hints at family piece being important.

I think something like a White Lightning/Mine Blower one year, a CP Huntington train ride another year, and maybe the new Mack water coaster or solid dark ride.

No. A new coaster has directly been hinted at during a presentation representing the park as well as Ed Hart himself has said in the past that he wants a new B&M coaster AND as recently as Storm Chaser's opening has mentioned that he's already talking to RMC about a new coaster. To me, this adds up to a T-Rex tracked coaster. A new coaster is coming. It's all but confirmed. At this point, the speculation is to what kind.

No. A new coaster has directly been hinted at during a presentation representing the park as well as Ed Hart himself has said in the past that he wants a new B&M coaster AND as recently as Storm Chaser's opening has mentioned that he's already talking to RMC about a new coaster. To me, this adds up to a T-Rex tracked coaster. A new coaster is coming. It's all but confirmed. At this point, the speculation is to what kind.

Agree completely a new coaster is coming, I'm just saying if people are thinking it is a hyper like Diamondback or Mako they are going to be disappointed.