TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

I heard that he said it was going to be "fabulous"

"Fabulous" makes me think family coaster. Which isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this coaster is planned for the old dragster pad.

Sorry but how do you make that conclusion? Ed Hart is an interesting character. I've watched several interviews of him because I'm a nerd and I could totally see him using a word like "fabulous" to describe almost any decent roller coaster. Don't ask why because I have basically no way to prove that but he's just got strong New Yoker/New Jersey vibes going, like the type of person that says "wonderful" in every third sentence.

Basically I wouldn't rule out any coaster type at this point. It's late so don't question my likely flawed logic, lol.

I personally just don't see "fabulous" as an adjective for a big, high thrill coaster. I could be very wrong though.

Question...

Is going to Kentucky Kingdom on July 4th weekend a bad idea?

I'm trying to go somewhere for the holiday and I don't want to go to KK if it'll be 2 hour lines for the major attractions. Insight please.

Haven't been since the Six Flags days and I've heard conflicting reports about the "New Kentucky Kingdom"

I heard that he said it was going to be "fabulous"

"Fabulous" makes me think family coaster. Which isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this coaster is planned for the old dragster pad.

Sorry but how do you make that conclusion? Ed Hart is an interesting character. I've watched several interviews of him because I'm a nerd and I could totally see him using a word like "fabulous" to describe almost any decent roller coaster. Don't ask why because I have basically no way to prove that but he's just got strong New Yoker/New Jersey vibes going, like the type of person that says "wonderful" in every third sentence.

Basically I wouldn't rule out any coaster type at this point. It's late so don't question my likely flawed logic, lol.

I personally just don't see "fabulous" as an adjective for a big, high thrill coaster. I could be very wrong though.

True, the maximum height he can build in Dragsters spot is 100 ft. That is why the Sky Catcher is in a odd spot, that is in the area where they can build over 100 ft. Basically a small strip running from the Drop Ride, Giant Wheel and Sky Catcher is the only area they can build over 100 feet.

Question...

Is going to Kentucky Kingdom on July 4th weekend a bad idea?

I'm trying to go somewhere for the holiday and I don't want to go to KK if it'll be 2 hour lines for the major attractions. Insight please.

Haven't been since the Six Flags days and I've heard conflicting reports about the "New Kentucky Kingdom"

Saturdays can get BUSY, but not 2 hours busy, Sunday would be your best bet. Hope this helps

He's mentioned talking with RMC about a new coaster and has, in the past, expressed interest in a new B&M coaster...I suspect it may be something with the T-Rex track. I didn't necessarily take his "fabulous" comment to mean a new family coaster, but it's indicative (IMO) of him already knowing the layout and general design of the new coaster. It also hints that it'll be happening sooner rather than later.

In year's past, when he first ran the park, it only ever had the one family coaster. I'm not sure that'll change this go around.

For you regulars I have 2 questions:

1) I am going to the park for the first time since last year on Friday July 22nd. What will the wait times be like for the 4 coasters and will they likely be running 2 trains on everything (besides Thunder Run of course)

2) Has Storm Chaser been reliable so far? That's a lot of the reason we are coming to KK so it would sure be a bummer if it was down the whole day. I guess all the Lightning Rod has me a little freaked out about the reliability of RMCs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lightning Run and Cyclos first since they're near the front and get the longest lines (Cyclos the longest). Most food places in the park are just fine (Swampwater Jacks and the new deli stand near Storm Chaser are still my personal favorites), but I wouldn't recommend the food places by the water park as a first choice since they tend to have the longest waits. Storm Chaser gets the shortest waits out of all the major coasters, so you can hit that coaster at your leisure!

I might hit the park again soon this week/weekend. Storm Chaser had a fair bit of vibrations in some seats, and I'm hearing they replaced the wheels again so the vibrations are likely gone.

If one were especially diligent (and traveling solo), is it remotely possible to do both KK and Holiday World in the same day? I'll be visiting the area next month, and because parks have limited hours in the time I'll be visiting, the only feasible way I can see of hitting KK and HW is if I cram them together. Crazy plan or somewhat plausible for someone only planning on riding the coasters at each park? A full day at both seems a bit much, but also cramming two together in one day seems a bit crazy. Thoughts?

It's definitely possible if you want to do it and can afford it. We opted for a full day at HW instead to get on Wildebeest and Mammoth as well as get some rerides (which ended up costing a ton of time because Voyage broke down), but the hour drive between the two is nothing. We stayed near Louisville at a family friend's house and definitely could have done an hour at KK had we been inclined to do so and had the money.

Perfect, thanks, guys! As much as I'd prefer not to be rushed between the two (I'd rather have a leisurely 3/4 day at both), I'm leaning more toward cramming both in as I don't see a full day at either being that necessary if I'm really just looking at the bigger rides. Only thing is that it may need to be a Saturday as opening days are limited and HW is hosting some religious event on the Sunday and I'd probably want to steer clear of that /hisses at cross/

While I would strongly recommend against going to either of these parks just for the coasters, if that is your plan, start with KK. It's on Eastern Time while Holiday World is on Central. It's an hour and a half in absolute time, but that's 30 minutes if you're going west and 2.5 hours if you're going east. Since both parks close early, and close the queues even earlier, that's the better plan of attack.

It's on Eastern Time while Holiday World is on Central. It's an hour and a half in absolute time, but that's 30 minutes if you're going west and 2.5 hours if you're going east.

Wow! That's critical info! Thanks!

Only problem now is that KK hasn't decided on their operating hours for that week (they wing it, apparently), whereas HW opens at 10am.

It's on Eastern Time while Holiday World is on Central. It's an hour and a half in absolute time, but that's 30 minutes if you're going west and 2.5 hours if you're going east.

Wow! That's critical info! Thanks!

Only problem now is that KK hasn't decided on their operating hours for that week (they wing it, apparently), whereas HW opens at 10am.

Are you trying to visit and do both during the week of the Kentucky State Fair? I'm no expert on crowds that week because I stay as far away from the Expo Center as possible during that time, but just know KK crowd/traffic levels will definitely be elevated; especially on the weekend during that period.

Are you trying to visit and do both during the week of the Kentucky State Fair? I'm no expert on crowds that week because I stay as far away from the Expo Center as possible during that time, but just know KK crowd/traffic levels will definitely be elevated; especially on the weekend during that period.

Buggers! It looks like the fair is right next door, too. I think I may need to change my travel plans!