TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

Visited KK on Friday before HWN. I was blown away by the back seat ride on Storm Chaser...that is until I rode the front seat. AMAZING. I'm usually a back seat type because I LOVE airtime, but the money seat for airtime on SC is the front for me. STELLAR!!! Also, don't be fooled, this ride hauls azz all the way to the brake run.

There was a recent POV video posted on youtube that shows how it rides. I don't think I've ever seen such a noticeable difference on a coaster from when it first opened to a few months in. I guess it did really just need to "break in."

Visited KK on Friday before HWN. I was blown away by the back seat ride on Storm Chaser...that is until I rode the front seat. AMAZING. I'm usually a back seat type because I LOVE airtime, but the money seat for airtime on SC is the front for me. STELLAR!!! Also, don't be fooled, this ride hauls azz all the way to the brake run.

It is very true that the front features more ejector air than the back. But the second seat (back of the first car on the train) is the true "ejector seat" on the coaster, as you're getting launched out of your seat violently the entire time! I prefer the front, for a little less aggressive, but still very aggressive and airtime filled ride!

It is very true that the front features more ejector air than the back. But the second seat (back of the first car on the train) is the true "ejector seat" on the coaster, as you're getting launched out of your seat violently the entire time! I prefer the front, for a little less aggressive, but still very aggressive and airtime filled ride!

It's kinda funny because everybody forgets that seat. Most of the seats where a 3 train wait and we walked straight on in the 2 row!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darn, now I'm wishing I did take row 2....Oh well, that's what I have a season pass for, I'll hopefully try it out this weekend. Now that I'm not at work I can post that video for those who've yet to ride Storm Chaser in it's Sprummer glory, no more crawling into the brake run anymore!

Darn, now I'm wishing I did take row 2....Oh well, that's what I have a season pass for, I'll hopefully try it out this weekend. Now that I'm not at work I can post that video for those who've yet to ride Storm Chaser in it's Sprummer glory, no more crawling into the brake run anymore!

Yes! This is the new speed that's made it so much more awesome!

I actually found T3 to be a lot less rough than Mind Eraser at SFNE.

Then Mind Eraser must be hell incarnate, because T3 made Thunderhawk look like a stroll in the park! (Except, without any actual head banging - just constant shaking!)

Why I only ever sit in the very back of the train, last two rows are safer seats. The rest... Eh.

I rode Storm Chaser yesterday, and it certainly felt faster than when I rode it for media day. The airtime on the double down is more abrupt and the helix does not feel sluggish at all. I also believe the rumor about the blue train being faster than the purple one, as I got to try both yesterday with noticeable differences between the two. I'd say that the overall intensity/airtime is more comparable to Wicked Cyclone for me than back in April. Far from weak, and much much much more intense for an RMC than Goliath ever wishes it could be.

I took a couple extra pictures as well just because new pictures are never a bad thing. Edit: adjusted the brightness on some of them.

DSC00697.thumb.JPG.10d55aa9dbeeac5d7c877cb91eac1f87.JPG

DSC00703.thumb.JPG.9e55491e559366f32ae1be266026512d.JPG

DSC00706.thumb.JPG.96e7349d225cd74c0c5dd499f694950d.JPG

DSC00708.thumb.JPG.5c050cfeb18d916a67d05bf145a45d08.JPG

DSC00710.thumb.JPG.cf10daaae1290f6e68bbaad58175aaf0.JPG

DSC00711.thumb.JPG.670fa14a80864cac3e0cae346a63f84e.JPG

DSC00715.thumb.JPG.6baea5286f34109d00699d3c0e6c8d55.JPG

DSC00716.thumb.JPG.c12ff131b85feda3a5d61b47de66bd51.JPG

Edited by Koasterking48

I also believe the rumor about the blue train being faster than the purple one, as I got to try both yesterday with noticeable differences between the two.

I know when I first heard about the two trains riding differently, I was skeptical... Not anymore! While the purple train is no doubt still one of the most intense and awesome coaster experiences I've had, it was very clear after just about splitting my 20 rides between the two trains that blue is just faster, and therefore, more forceful going through the elements! You notice this particularly clearly at the first airtime hill, and also the first overbank, where the speed there is just palpable!

My family and I are considering a trip over to KK some time soon. Possibly this weekend. Would it be completely insane tomorrow or manageable? I doubt this Sunday would be an option, but if it was, would it be a whole lot better than Saturday? Thanks in advance for the help

Between lightning Run and Storm Chaser, KK has an amazing coaster 1,2 punch. Lightning Run is a compact ejector beast. And the trick track double up on Storm Chaser is insane! I for one can vouch that it charges into the break run. And what a difference the ride makes from front to back. Both intense, floaty, ejector craziness! I was overwhelmed at how these rides complement each other. Hopefully KK can fill up that dead walk getting back to Storm Chaser with a few nice flat rides and some creative landscaping in the next few years.

What a great little park this has turned into under its new hands.

I'm still hoping that at some point in the not-too-distant future, Kentucky Kingdom gets something a little bit more to replace Chang with. Ed Hart has said previously that he wants a B&M and has also mentioned that he's in talks with RMC about a new coaster. T-Rex track, perhaps?

I went to my new home park, kentucky kingdom, for the first time since it reopened in 2014 and was very impressed overall. Here are my thoughts on many of the attractions and the overall park.

Storm Chaser- Ligtning run is superior in my opinion, however, storm chaser still delivers an intense ride packed with airtime and good laterals. The 1st camelback gives some of the strongest sustained ejector airtime I've experienced. The barrel roll drop is one of the most unique things I've experienced on a coaster. This is a great ride that fits into my list of favorite coasters. My expectations of RMC being the best thing on the planet probably made this ride slightly underwhelming.

Lightning run- Absolutely one of the most intense coasters I've ever ridden. Each time I rode in the back seat and received a ride with airtime that feels like it's ripping out your soul. It overall has better pacing than storm chaser because of it's extremely compact elements and awesome speed. The final bunny hops are absolutely the strongest airtime moments I've ever experienced. I consider this a top 3 coaster.

T3- Now for my first SLC, this ride could have been a great invert if not for the roughness.Ignoring the roughness the inversions were fast paced and forceful, but going through each inversion came with roughness comparable to many wooden coasters. The restraints prevented head banging, but got uncomfortably tight on my thighs. This coaster is a one and done type of ride due to the level of roughness.

Thunder run- this was a very fun woodie with some surprising moments of airtime. It had amp over average smoothness for a wooden coaster that is comparable to many gci's. The camelback had some really good sustained airtime. Overall this was a very fun and above average wooden coaster.

Fear fall- My second Larson drop tower, the drop was extremely intense and unpredictable as there was no pause at the top before the drop. Overall a great drop tower and one of the most intense ride experiences anywhere.

I rode other rides such as sky catcher and mile high falls butI have nothing to say about them as they are fairly average. I did not visit the waterpark so I can't say anything about the slides. Overall, kentucky kingdom has a large amount of great rides and looks much better than it did in its six flags days. My time there was fun and I would go back in a heartbeat.