Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I think the only 'concern' is because people see this park going more the way of Celebration City or Wild Adventures than becoming the next SDC or Dollywood.  I think it will stay pretty much th

Herschend was and is a different brand than Six Flags.   There is one certainty. Kentucky Kingdom will not be receiving a launched wooden roller coaster any time soon.

Yeah, that's what I've thought too.

Posted Images

Just in case anybody was wondering T3 Reopened yesterday.

with single train action?

Considering they only have one train I would assume yes

they actually have 2 trains just the 2nd hasn't been cleared.

Went to the Park today, seen John. He said they have a second train for T3, it's in storage, but it won't be in service til next year. He said they're right on schedule for Storm Runner next year. Track has arrived and should be going in place by the end of the season. It was busy as hell today and he said they've had a few great weekends, that they've been very happy with. I asked him if there would be anything else New next year and he said " you'll know in a couple of weeks". Sounds like they may have something planned for The Zeppelins former spot in that area leading to Storm Chaser. Wouldn't expect any thing big, just something to fill the Zeppelins old spot possibly.

Edited by ratdogg68

I was also at Kentucky Kingdom today and I took a few pictures of construction of Storm Chaser including track on site!

Here you go enjoy.

image.jpg.167231c8ef51bb218c67406ca8be2ec0.jpg

A wide shot of the site.

A wide shot of the site.

A wide shot of the site.

Sorry for the low quality posting from my iPad on the road I'll post higher res versions tomorrow when I get home.

image.jpg.77ea06612c91ac48c5faab769adb6a17.jpg

The structure looks to be well ready for Storm Chaser with a lot of the extra removed.

image.jpg.a4bbdd9cd270831e11314e4236992787.jpg

RMC goodness!

Edited by DaMarkSta

^Hey! I'm still excited about visiting KK for the first time and riding Storm Chaser next year, even after Dollywood's announcement! It's all part of the same family vacation trip, so I'll be getting on some great, new, RMC awesomeness that trip!

^I felt a bit of jealousy over how well-produced theirs was, haha. Nonetheless, as dwarfed as Storm Chaser may be compared to Lightning Rod, the coasters themselves should stand-out at each park respectively.

The whole east coast/midwest is just swarming with RMC's of all sizes! Someone could almost do a whole road-trip based purely off of attempting to ride each of them within a year (minus Twisted Colossus, unless they're REALLY desperate).

I think Dollywood is definitely building the better coaster, but Storm Chaser still looks to be an amazing ride. And it features inversions, which Lightning Rod does not. Both coasters will be excellent and hopefully will be successful investments for their respective parks. It is an embarrassment of riches to consider that each of these coasters is only about 3 hours away from me. 2016 is going to be a good year!!!

I think Dollywood is definitely building the better coaster, but Storm Chaser still looks to be an amazing ride. And it features inversions, which Lightning Run does not. Both coasters will be excellent and hopefully will be successful investments for their respective parks. It is an embarrassment of riches to consider that each of these coasters is only about 3 hours away from me. 2016 is going to be a good year!!!

I agree %100! I still think Storm Chaser looks awesome, and it really is a completely different kind of coaster than Lightning Rod!

I think Dollywood is definitely building the better coaster, but Storm Chaser still looks to be an amazing ride. And it features inversions, which Lightning Rod does not. Both coasters will be excellent and hopefully will be successful investments for their respective parks.

This was my thought after watching the Lightning Rod announcement this morning. The barrel roll first drop on Storm Chaser is still going to be awesome and I'm hoping to make my first trip to KK next year as part of a bigger trip since the dates didn't work out for me this year.

Went to Kentucky Kingdom for the first time on Friday was pretty much done with the coasters in almost an hour. Got there at opening and walked on everything. Loved Lightning Run, amazing airtime. Thunder Run really surprised me. What a great wooden roller coaster. T3 was still bad even with the new restraints. But still an improvement from the old SLC restraints. Will definitely do the water park next time I visit and for the new RMC. Really did enjoy Kentucky Kingdom, park is really going in the right direction.

Yeah... I might be in the minority here... but I think I'm gonna like Storm Chaser A LOT more than Lightning Rod.

I honestly want to know what possible reasoning you have for your opinion here?

Well, I can't speak for him, and I am sure I'll like Lightning Rod more, but I can see people preferring Storm Chaser. For one, if somebody likes inversions in addition to their airtime, SC gives them that. On top of normal inversions, SC has a first drop inversion, which seems like it'd be pretty mind blowing! Yes, personally, I'm more excited for LR's launched hill and dual airtime hills before the drop. But different people have different tastes in their coaster experiences. I'm sure there will be people more excited for Valravn than either of these RMC coasters, and that's ok too! I know I won't be, but that doesn't make those who feel this way wrong, or dumb...

On a different note, I was wondering, from the KK regulars, when does the park typically open for the season? Or is there no "typical" yet, since it's so new?

^^Last year was late May, and this year was late April. I'm assuming it'll be something similar next year as it was this year.

At the end of the post-Lightning Rod announcement weekend, Kentucky Kingdom is still getting a RMC next year. Nothing to be disappointed about.

This question got buried at the bottom of my last post, so I'm not sure if anybody noticed it, but I was wondering when KK is likely to open for the year next year? I know they've only been reopened a couple of years, so it's not like there's a "norm" to go by really. But if any KK frequenters can shed any light on this, that'd be great!