TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Expect Kentucky Kingdom to be on WDRB News today. They said on tonight's show they'll be talking to Ed Hart tomorrow.

Looks like they're gearing up to open. Here is their press release:

http://www.louisville.com/content/kentucky-kingdom-2015-season-opens-april-25

They also have updated the park map on their website. All the kingdom7 attractions are accounted for, plus a few new things. Notably, The rio grande train has been moved to King Louie's Playground, leaving Bluebeard's Bounty very alone. I bet they add a new ride over there and connect that area to the cyclos area next season. They also added a much needed handicap access to the other half of the park, near Enterprise. Most importantly, Twisted Sisters has COMING IN 2016 across it! They've been pretty silent on its future, so its good to see that a refurbishment is still on the agenda and it's not getting the axe.

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/park-info/park-map/

Has anyone seen any construction on cyclos? Or testing on T3? I feel like they're cutting it super close haha.

yesterday I saw 1 crane and a couple of jlg lifts working on lift hill main crane was on the motor the jlg lifts looked like they were doing something with the chain. also saw another jlg lift doing something on one of the loops. but still no testing

So the map confirms that Speedway is gone and Rio Grande got moved to its spot. I really hate to see that ride go but I also know that it was very old.

While it's sad that Speedway is gone, I'm glad that they moved Rio Grande, the map listed it as in King Louie's Playland even though it was in a more thrilling section of the park so it never had a line because little kids rarely went back there.

But why did they move it after 1 year rather than doing it last year when re-doing the park?

Skycatcher is in a weird spot to me, looking at the map, even though its next to the picnic shelters its kind of sitting in the water park section away from the amusement park side for the most part.

The park's taller items are on the left side of the park due to FAA restrictions. Personally I would move the picnic shelters to the right side of the park and put another tall flat where they are now. Reopening Twisted Twins next year may be a good excuse to do that as the area around it is somewhat bare.

Finally had a free weekend to spend in Louisville and couldn't pass-up a chance to see the park. I shot these photos earlier today.

IMG_4110(Edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.35615878964350a3fc964eb951b3a18f.jpg

Skycatcher sitting idle some short distance off of the ground. It might not be 400+ feet, but it's still fairly tall if you ask me.

IMG_4112(Edited)(800x).jpg.aca90408a8cb438e1e5d58234f40bd25.jpg

IMG_4165(Edited)(800x).jpg.462ebf71e3188be74807097bed0c0045.jpg

I hope Cyclos is a fast-built ride if they're gonna get it ready by opening.

IMG_4169(Edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.312e067d3ba525354d2cb3d989dafefc.jpg

Oh, hello there!

IMG_4173(Edited)(800x).jpg.7451c49181aacaf5340cda9e548821c9.jpg

Yes, I witnessed LR testing twice today!

IMG_4180(Edited)(800x).jpg.f75fd1bf79a9cf57913317fd1d3e6fb2.jpg

Warming up for next weekend's opening (and a private event this weekend).

IMG_4243(Edited)(800x).jpg.302c2db72cf7d13731ee3e201fd8a6ea.jpg

A last look at Skycatcher. The seats on these are the same as the ones on Vertigo at the KY State Fair.

I sure hope they can get Cyclos at least built by opening day. I don't mind them opening it later in the summer to get people to come back if that is what they are doing, but I don't want them to have to build it when the park is open because, from the location, it seems that they would have to close Lightning Run to build it. It makes me think the ride was delayed by the manufacturer or something like that because the park is usually pretty quick at getting rides up as soon as they arrive. Skycatcher and Up, Up and Away seemed to be put up just days after they arrived at the park.

That looks like "almost" the same colour of red on it, when T2 first opened...

IMG_7028.jpg.49698bdcfea3abce38ee42061650a0c4.jpg

EDIT to add the photo I took of T2, back in June of 1995.

Edited by Nrthwnd