TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

In my opinion, whenever the time comes for KK to build a new thrill ride, they need to stick with unique rides like Lightning Run. Not necessarily new coaster styles/companies like Lightning Run, but layouts that aren't "cookie cutter" layouts. It is very difficult for the park to compete with Kings Island for the thrill seeker crowd, just based on quantity of major thrill attractions. The one reason I bought a season pass to KK this year is because the uniqueness of most of their rides. I think adding any of the old Hard Rock Park rides would be a big mistake regardless of price. I know that may not make financial sense right now, but the park has to carve its own niche to stay viable in this area, and I think they can do that with rides that aren't just inversion after inversion like Zep Coaster/Time Machine.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's neither cheap, easy, or practical to dig a 100 foot deep tunnel. Apparently Roller Coaster Tycoon is catching on again.

Herschend was and is a different brand than Six Flags.   There is one certainty. Kentucky Kingdom will not be receiving a launched wooden roller coaster any time soon.

Yeah, I think the only 'concern' is because people see this park going more the way of Celebration City or Wild Adventures than becoming the next SDC or Dollywood.  I think it will stay pretty much th

Posted Images

Question has anyone of you got the chance to ride Time machine from freestyle music park? If so how was it? And would it be a good fit for KK?!?!?!

I rode it, and it was really boring. Just a standard grouping of un-forceful elements. It's not worth saving and I would be really sad to see it end up at KK.

Kentucky Kingdom already has Coasters planned for the next 2 years, I doubt they would buy it and put it in storage for 3 years. They will be adding new rides with the coasters over the next 2 years, but those are the only Coasters planned til 2017 at least.

Kentucky Kingdom already has Coasters planned for the next 2 years, I doubt they would buy it and put it in storage for 3 years. They will be adding new rides with the coasters over the next 2 years, but those are the only Coasters planned til 2017 at least.

This is always confusing to me. Are T2 and Twisted Twins the two new coasters for the next two years? I don't really consider them new seeing that they're both over 15 years old.

This is always confusing to me. Are T2 and Twisted Twins the two new coasters for the next two years? I don't really consider them new seeing that they're both over 15 years old.

They will be opening them to a crowd that wants to ride them again. To market them as new while it is just TLC to make them open is very smart and beneficial for them. However, I do see them opening brand new flats with these openings. Just because they aren't actually new, for them to open again is enough to bring people through the gates again.

Question has anyone of you got the chance to ride Time machine from freestyle music park? If so how was it? And would it be a good fit for KK?!?!?!

I rode it several times. nice first drop, some rattle (first and second year) the mid-course BRAKE (geesh I see this word spelled wrong soo much lately) run kinda killed the second half, but im sure the ride would work for this park well. The music was a plus.

I seem to remember more than one actual new coaster being in their original proposal, which is why I usually get confused. But I think the new tube slide complex went where one of the coasters was originally planned to go.

^I "think" the top scan could fit where the old Rainbow ride used to be, next to the bridge. The cement pad it sat on is still there. And I do not think the Quake should come back, unless its the flipping model like what you can find at Dreamworld with their Wipeout ride.

Also, I checked the park's facebook page and they're replying to people asking about Enterprise saying that they're still waiting on a part to come in, but plan on it opening sometime this year.

Oh Please No, Quake was the most boring ride ever. In all the time it was there I rode it several times and maybe 2x I had a whole ride without a breakdown. I know it was a prototype and unique at the time, but it was still boring. I think we will see something new in Dragsters spot next year to fill a void between Thunder Run and Raging Rapids. In their contract they have to add at least 1 new ride a year, not including the reopening of T3, Raging Rapids and Twisted Twins.

I never actually saw Quake running. I didn't know it was the non-inverting kind. That does sound kind of meh, then.

every time I saw the Quake it was always stuck in a weird position.

It mostly rocked people around while making a lot of noise, outside of it breaking down a lot. I remember my rides on them. It was fun enough for me as a kid, but overall not very exciting.

A bit off topic, but according to screamscape, attendance for Kentucky Kingdom is "through the roof". I'm glad to hear this, after Ed spent so much time restoring, so this is his well deserved reward. Could this mean they have more money for attractions in the future years?

That is an interesting question... I'm not entirely sure how money is distributed between the management group, the fair/expo center, and the City of Louisville. You would think more people, more money for all parties, but I'm just not sure. Regardless, I think Ed and his team will stick to their plan set in place for the next 3 years. Then after the park is fully operational, I think we will see any money, in excess of what they were expecting, put into possibly more additions than they were expecting.

Right now, I think KK views any extra money they may be getting as a security blanket, for if the park is unable to sustain the type of numbers it is getting this year. That way if there is a dip in attendance by reopening rides that people have already ridden, the management team can still afford to try to make a major splash in year 4 with a major attraction or two.

I mean, I get that a Speedo might be a little too revealing for a family water park, but calling the guy "queer" and threatening to arrest him was completely out of line. Simply asking him to change into a different swimsuit would've been the better choice.

Just came across this video on youtube of lightning run that (on top of being pretty nice) shows some more swaying action! Check 1:14 for the overbank.

I mean, I get that a Speedo might be a little too revealing for a family water park, but calling the guy "queer" and threatening to arrest him was completely out of line. Simply asking him to change into a different swimsuit would've been the better choice.

Lol what the f'ing... Since when is a Speedo something you can link to somebody who is homosexual? And since when is it 'revealing to much'? Little children wear this type of swimming outfit a lot and in some parts in Europe it's even obliged to wear it because it's much more hygienic then a normal short. Some people are just plain stupid...