TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I also visited the park today, and will have a full PTR soon. Here are a few notes I have, though:

-The park doesn't have too much to do in the dry side, which is understandable, since it just reopened. However, the park looks great. The attractions have very vibrant colors. The barbed wire around the park is strange though, especially in the queues for the 5D Cinema and FearFall.

-Lightning Run is fantastic. We rode it twice, both times in the back. It is short, but is full of airtime and twists. It is also my 50th coaster!

-Thunder Run is smooth, but is also very forgettable. It's not a bad ride, there just isn't really anything special about it. :/

-The queues need a lot more shade. Hopefully they'll put shade structures up, or maybe the tree they planted will eventually provide lots of shade.

-The park's layout can be somewhat confusing. A few more signs would help.

-The crowd at Kentucky Kingdom was one of the most obnoxious I've seen. People were smoking in almost every line I was in and dropped their buds all over the place. They were also very loud about things they shouldn't be talking about. A girl in line for the Cinema began discussing how her mother was a pro****ute and how CPS was trying to take her away from her. Who talks about things like that so loudly?!?!

Overall, the park still needs work, but for a park that's been SBNO for 5 years, it looks pretty good. I can't wait to see how the future of the park unfolds.

Also at the park today. I can attest to the abysmal operations for Lightning Run and Deep Water Dive (even though they were both the highlights of my visit ) Loved Lightning Run despite only getting one ride in the back row. My first drop capsule on the tallest body slide in America was pretty terrifying, but fun nonetheless! Line jumping was AWFUL. Security needs to beefed up around the park, because I rarely saw any of them around.

Mini-rant about Deep Water Dive: 2 minute dispatches for one person at a time makes a line that appears really short actually turn out to be very, very long. I did love the enthusiastic girl that loved her job working while I was riding (for those there, it was around 12:30). Something can be done to speed up this line.

I also have a mini rant on Lightning Run: Why are these ops so uninterested in this job? Literally all three of them had sour faces and moved at a snail pace. Plus, they stacked the ride with two trains, and the dispatches were probably 3-4 minutes each. Like I said, this is just a matter of more training for more efficency.

I understand people are getting used to their job, but the fact that they already hate their job after 2 weeks really irritates me. The park has a great start, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Still many improvements in the park to be made (two that particularly stick out are the queues for arguably the biggest attractions in the dry side, LR and Fearfall). I, too, am anticipating on returning in 2015 with the reopening of T2 and Blizzard River as well as many other things.

One thing that I found hilarious is that Holiday World stuck a billboard literally right next to Kentucky Kingdom, being located Ron the interstate across from the airport. Just made me chuckle.

As I said above, some of these improvements take time, and Kentucky Kingdom only had a year (probably less than that actually) to get this abandoned park running in great condition. For what it is, they did a very good job. You just need to know that this is not a finished product.

Edited by Koasterking48

^I believe they do have an entrance sign with running water.

I am talking about the sign in front of the park. If there is not going to be an entrance sign, which IMO all parks should have, they should take down the sign.

images.jpg.5d88c677975da85a93d0bc15a0f8ed1b.jpg

This is the sign from the six flags days.

1489860236_images(1).jpg.41a05d43f6e9940fea8d5a253eec3f8c.jpg

This is the same empty sign frame now. If the park is going to keep the frame they should put a sign on it.

I'm sure there's still a lot of stuff for the park to take care of. We need to give them time. They've had a lot to do in a short amount of time. I'm sure there's still going to be a lot of things taking shape throughout the season.

I also checked out the park today and will also echo that lightning run is awesome but the crews were extremely slow and they really could use some switchbacks in there so the crowds don't spill out onto the midways. Also need to say that the crowd that was there today was some of the most rude, obnoxious, line jumping people I have ever run into at any place ever. There, I feel a little better now.

My other complaint about yesterday was my youngest son couldn't go on Himalaya because the height minimum is 60". I've never seen a Himalaya with that tall of of a Height Requirement. I love those rides but no music, no lights, no backwards, and wasn't all that fast so made for a boring Himalaya ride. I'm hoping they get that fixed soon.

I guess the training period is over on Lightning Run. Until today you always had to wait until the op pushed down your lapbar. Now you are able to pull them down yourself. It does help with the one train operations today and the park is not really busy. So about one ride every 10 minutes.

"^I believe they do have an entrance sign with running water."

I am talking about the sign in front of the park. If there is not going to be an entrance sign, which IMO all parks should have, they should take down the sign.

I didn't know you were talking about that sign. I agree they should install a sign there - how much could it cost?

I do feel like a lot of the park is a work in progress and the main goal of the opening was just that. To actually open the park and make it presentable to the public. Hopefully we'll see it continuously shaping up over the summer.

Sounds like there is going to be quite a number of growing pains. Sounds like it's quite a work in process. Looks like they need to focus on more shade. More switchbacks in the queue for LR and line jumping enforcement.

The bad operations should be completely expected . . . the park hasn't been open in 5 years! The rides look good, so once KK gets into the "groove", it should be a great park. Especially in the coming years - A Twisted Twins RMC Iron Horse treatment would work wonders for Kentucky Kingdom. Also, the raft ride and T^3 should be fun - that is if it isn't to jerky! Hopefully they could install the "more comfortable" trains in 2015.

Sounds like there is going to be quite a number of growing pains. Sounds like it's quite a work in process. Looks like they need to focus on more shade. More switchbacks in the queue for LR and line jumping enforcement.

And possibly ordering a second train for Thunder Run. Public schools get out for the summer this Friday, so starting then through August, there will probably probably be a higher level of attendance to the park and any way to be more efficient would help; especially when the high heat and humidity kicks in.

It's not as simple as calling up PTC and ordering a new train. The ride was not engineered to run two trains and would need to be modified to do so in many areas, something that financially almost doesn't make sense.

A new PTC train you are looking at around 300k if not more, then add on a new PLC, track work, new mechanicals, transfer table, maintenance bay, and the list goes on. Easily in the $1 million range.

It would be more feasible to use that money to add additional attractions that would in turn scatter people throughout the park and reduce wait times. This will come as they open T2 among other improvements next year and then the back portion of the park in 2016.

The water park was the main focus this year as well as to get the rides park open. For adding 5 new flats, a roller coaster, rehabbing all of the existing rides, landscaping, refurbishment of all the buildings, and getting all new systems in place (six flags left the place in shambles) I'd say they done damn good. Its easy to nitpick about a sign not being in place, but that's all it is, nitpicking. After visiting with park officials this weekend, trust me, they know where they need to improve, they know things are not yet in place, and they know they are not done. You will continue to see improvements throughout the season and especially next season.

The future is bright for Kentucky Kingdom.

Chance Rides has some very neat ride footage of Lightning Run, check it out!

I'm really impressed whit what Ed Hart and his team has accomplished in such a short time. This park is on my bucket list for sure! Can't wait for more updates and new/improved rides for the upcoming years !

I've just came back from my trip which involved visiting Kentucky Kingdom ( which I did on Tuesday, June 3). Here are my feeling about this park, both good and bad.

1) I'm sure that Lighting Run is a great coaster, but I couldn't ride it due to my size. This has to be the first and only coaster in which I was too big to ride on. Talk about a big letdown.

2) Thunder Run and Roller Skater were great coasters in which I could ride. Thunder Run I rode twice and Roller Skater I rode four times!

3) I rode Deep Water Dive and I liked it!

4) But in order to ride Deep Water Dive I had to wait until 4 p.m. and the line was so long on that ride that by the time I wanted to get on another slide that didn't open until four the line was cut off. Tell me this: does this make any sense to have some slides not open until later and only run for the two hours that were remaining inside the waterpark?

5) Speaking about some rides not running I counted four: Pirate Ship, Breakdance, Tea Cups, and Enterprise.

6) The Bumper Cars might run better if they take at least seven cars out. The track they had was too small to accommodate all the bumper cars they had running and there were some jams, some were so bad the operator had to stop the ride to clear them.

7) I need to talk about The Bella Musica - their Carousel. Besides of having horses, roosters, and a sea dragon, they also have two rocking benches, two smaller circular pavilions that spins in a circle, and an elephant that stays still. This ride would be even greater if they could get it restored, but I'm sure that will be coming.

Overall, not a bad park despite the few bumps and bruises. I can see tons of additions and improvements that the park will undergo in the next few years. I must keep in mind that this park was just recently opened after being closed for years, and the amount of work that was done in a short amount of time should be quite an accomplishment itself. Right now, I'm going to grade this park as a C minus, but I'm hoping when I do return to this park within a few years, it'll get a solid A!

The reason for waterslides not opening till 4 is because today is the last day of school and most of the lifeguards are high school students, now that school will be out starting Monday, the water slides should be open all day with more available staff.

^Point taken. Next trip to Kentucky Kingdom will be scheduled when the kids aren't in school.

One more thing, the park could use a scrambler ride, but I'm sure that might come whenever they open up more sections of the park, get some other coasters running again, and fill that area up with stores, gaming booths, restaurants, and a flat ride. I see a lot of open area waiting to be rebuilt and used again.

1) I'm sure that Lighting Run is a great coaster, but I couldn't ride it due to my size. This has to be the first and only coaster in which I was too big to ride on. Talk about a big letdown.

Use it as motivation. Good luck!