TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Kentucky Kingdom photo update 11-28-2010... when will 2012 ever come...

Admin Edit: Your pictures have been removed because they exceed the maximum allowable size for photos of 800 X 600. Feel free to upload them again once they have been downsized to the correct size.

Thanks,

-Eric

Edited by ernierocker

I used to work there back in high school and I worked for some of the Berni family that owned a lot of the park, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Berni was involved with this "new" KK somehow. Anyway, I was told by one of them in 1997 or 1998 that they had been working on bringing a Flying Dutchman to the park, but basically Premier/SF had cancelled it when they bought the park. I was told then that Kings Island was going to get the same ride instead, but apparently Vekoma couldn't have it ready for the 1999 season and with SOB coming in 2000 - they sent the Flying Dutchman to Great America and stuck in the cookie cutter Face Off for 1999 at KI. It is kind of funny that it all has come full circle and KI might actually have the one that was going to go to KK originally.

I'm not exactly sure where Dominator would have went at KK, I've actually heard a number of things like the parking lot that was out in front of Chang's first turn would be given over to the park from the Fair Board for use. I'm not sure it was going to be Dominator's exact layout, but it was going to be a floorless.

Not sure about X Flight though!

Ironically, it was going to go to Kings Island!!!

Did you have an epiphany overnight or something?

It was going to go to Kings Island until Paramount canceled the exclusive contract! Funny how it ended up at Kings Island anyway! I don't know if Six Flags had intended X Flight for SFKK or not, However SF had intended for an Impulse to go where Greezed Lightnin' sits!

^ Thanks Larry. I have to say, your a true friend.

After watching the videos, I am very impressed on what Mr. Hart plans on doing with the park. He told the truth and nothing but the truth. "It's all about the rides". He mentioned the rides they added to make the park successful, and then he mentioned what Six Flags didn't do and it resulted in the park closing. Even though, this is not my home park, I can't wait to see what Mr. Hart does with it. Within time he will probably put it on a new level of entertainment.

I used to work there back in high school and I worked for some of the Berni family that owned a lot of the park, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Berni was involved with this "new" KK somehow. Anyway, I was told by one of them in 1997 or 1998 that they had been working on bringing a Flying Dutchman to the park, but basically Premier/SF had cancelled it when they bought the park. I was told then that Kings Island was going to get the same ride instead, but apparently Vekoma couldn't have it ready for the 1999 season and with SOB coming in 2000 - they sent the Flying Dutchman to Great America and stuck in the cookie cutter Face Off for 1999 at KI. It is kind of funny that it all has come full circle and KI might actually have the one that was going to go to KK originally.

I'm not exactly sure where Dominator would have went at KK, I've actually heard a number of things like the parking lot that was out in front of Chang's first turn would be given over to the park from the Fair Board for use. I'm not sure it was going to be Dominator's exact layout, but it was going to be a floorless.

The flying dutchman was still in the initial design phase at the time & to my knowledge paramount had been involved in the co-development of the prototype since at least 96...hence the reasoning for them to enter into an exclusivity contract for the ride that was cancelled after stealth's less than stellar performance in it's debut season so there was no way that premier parks/SFI could've had plans to install one at KK back then.

KI & KD were the other two parks slated to get the ride but with the 2nd gen layout,dual station etc. but of course they changed plans with CGA getting a mouse & KD getting CGA's orginally planned TA2K prototype(and we know how that ride ultimately turned out don't we?)most of the info on that can be found in Lee Coker's book & on his thrillride site.

• 2 weeks later...

"The new roller coaster will be built by Bolliger & Mabillard (exact details such as type will be announced later)."

This is really great news!!! Honestly, I would have been fine if they got and X-Coaster like at Magic Springs. But now that they, at least will try, will try to get a B&M means they could bump the park on the map! Now, if it's a Chang replica, I'll be disappointed, I want to see something new.

But, really great news!

And keeping the food prices the same prices as the outside area of the park is really smart. I can't tell you how many times I've left SF Great America to go to Burger King, or Jersey Mikes *pukes* because I wasn't into the 8 dollar pizza sold at the park. The free parking sounds nice too, tough competition with Holiday World!