TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Read the article, but I'm confused about this...

Abramson says if Six Flags leaves the park, he will try to find a new owner to take over the Kentucky Kingdom water park and the remaining rides.

Doesn't Six Flags own the rides and everything that's put in since, well, a while back? Similar to the SFNO situation? When he says 'Water Park and remaining rides' does he literally mean the concrete pools and rides that Six Flags doesn't care to relocate?

Freestyle Horse Racing Park anyone?

I've now had my first visit at two parks in the year they closed. My first trip to Geauga Lake was in 2007 (and I actually remarked during my visit that they should shut down the rides side and keep the water park open, how ironic), and my first trip to SFKK was this past summer. Crazy.

My first visit ever to SFA is going to be in April, I wonder if that spells doom for that park, as well?!?! :zomfg!!!!:

As of this moment, I ban you from Cedar Point

My first visit to CP was well over 10 years ago, it's safe. Plus I worked there for two years.

T2 - melt, blow torch, kill, and piss on that sucker

FIXED!!!!

QFT. One of the worst rides I have ever been on.

I only made on visit to SFKK in 2000. It was...OK. Nothing amazing, though Chang was fun, and Thunder Run was OK in the front row. I didn't hate the place (other than T2, which was just horrible), but obviously I never bothered to make it back there. Not surprised by the closure, I actually figured it would have happened awhile back when SF was looking to get rid of properties.

And I'm amazed that there has been no press release from Southern Star Amusements yet...

dt

Abramson says if Six Flags leaves the park, he will try to find a new owner to take over the Kentucky Kingdom water park and the remaining rides.

Doesn't Six Flags own the rides and everything that's put in since, well, a while back? Similar to the SFNO situation? When he says 'Water Park and remaining rides' does he literally mean the concrete pools and rides that Six Flags doesn't care to relocate?

Freestyle Horse Racing Park anyone?

Have they actually ever moved a water slide before? I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. I mean, I guess six flags sell the flats and other things they don't want. But I think this place will become six flags, Mall zone

I assume remaining rides would fall into 3 categories:

Rides that were there pre-Six Flags/Premier (Possibly Tin Lizzies and International Carousel could fall into this area)

Rides that can not be fully moved (i.e.: Pools, Blizzard River rafts can to moved to other parks as replacements, but the concrete throughs would remain.

Rides that are not economically feasible to move (i.e. possibly Thunder Run)

^Ok, that's kind of what I figured too...but at the same time I'd be curious about the details of the lease.

Is Six Flags just allowed to leave the 'stuff' they don't want? I know we're not allowed to do that on our apartment lease!

Just got done watching the news and Harold Workman (CEO of KFEC) said that the rides were the property of KFEC! Granted he didn't say which rides.

The news also stated that Mayor Jerry Abramson and Harold Workman had spoken with Mark Shapiro earlier in the week and Shapiro made NO indication that the park was closing!

I would post a video or a link to WLKY32's website but I don't have enough posts!

Rides that are probably owned by the fairgrounds:

-International Carousel

-Tin Lizzies

-A few kids rides

Those are the rides left over from the ORIGINAL Kentucky Kingdom (way back from 1987), everything else has been added from 1990-2009. I'd like to know what rides they think they own as well, didn't Six Flags just lease the land from them?

I think that everything that predates Premier Parks (Before 1998) would belong to KFEC but that would have included Chang and Twisted Twins trains.(Twisted Twins was planned before 1998)

This is a little far-fetched, but maybe SF planned on closing the park at the end of 2009 for a while, so to avoid red tape of the useful items (Chang etc.) they removed them and put on the face that they were going continue to run and improve the park! They might have taken some other small useful items, then suddenly announce the park closure when SF got everything they needed. The lease may have some sort of clause included that SF can move rides in and out but when the lease is broken, whatever's there must stay! I know I am probably wrong, its just a thought that may explain a lot.

If Abramson does bring in another amusement park company, please move them away from the airport. SFKK had all kinds of crazy height restrictions, not to mention there is only so much land they can use.

If you want a park that is going to be successful you need to move it away from the airport.

^True but, SFDK and Alton Towers can function successfully with height restrictions, so I believe that Kentucky Kingdom can without Six Flags at the helm. I remember being 11 and coming to the park in mid-June 1998 around when Twisted Twins first opened and saying to myself, no no Kentucky Kingdom being a Six Flags park would be horrible! The park slowly slipped to you know where since. The park was great before SF so I believe with proper management and imagination, the park will be great after SF

The news also stated that Mayor Jerry Abramson and Harold Workman had spoken with Mark Shapiro earlier in the week and Shapiro made NO indication that the park was closing!

I would post a video or a link to WLKY32's website but I don't have enough posts!

Thank you for pointing out the clip, here it is.

www.wlky.com/video/22475854/index.html

You are always free to post links to third party news sources. TPR asks that you not link to promote other websites if you have under 50 links.

The sooner demolition begins, the sooner my photos from last summer become "vintage" enough to sell on eBay!

But yeah, SFKK was a nice little park, so this kind of sucks. I remember getting a text from my former roommate (who works in finance) that Six Flags had filed for bankruptcy--just as I was cresting the lift hill on Thunder Run!

^ I agree. The Enterprise flat ride is among my favorites. I was stoked when I saw Ocean Park had one. The lady who was operating it thought I was crazy for wanting to ride it over and over again. She told me she was afraid I was going to puke (as others have done).

Does anyone know what the manufacture of this one is? Heintz Fahtze, Huss or Schwarzkopf?