TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

That certainly is unfortunate for the locals, especially with the economic impact that will happen. That's what happens though when politicians squeeze corporations for more taxes, fees, and higher lease terms. It did sound like though that now that the mayor is involved, something may happen. This is also an issue for the state's governor to step in and offer incentives to keep the park open.

Expect to see a surge of people in Splashin Safari like never before seen next summer....

-James Dillaman

Oh man, I hadn't even considered that. It was crazy before, but with the SFKK overflow it's going to be absolute meyhem. I hope HW is ready.

The best, most unique ride there was Blizzard River Rapids--which, as a big concrete trough, is obviously not going to get moved anywhere.

I tell you what I'd do if I ran Holiday World, though: try to buy Greezed Lightnin' (or any Schwarzkopf shuttle loop). Marketing gold! (Well, in my head, anyway).

/Not that they need to. It would just be a supercool move.

DOCTOR DOOM!!! wrote:

Aside from Louisville's economy going rock bottom, I believe Louisville's crime rate will also go up exponentially! A lot of would be delinquents now are out of work/have nothing to do for fun. Kentucky Kingdom kept people out of trouble in more ways than one! I guarantee there will be more wanabee dope boyz running around trying to hustle up fast money cause they don't/no longer have a summer job! Also some teens will commit crimes for fun and thrill because their's no more fun and thrill in Louisville anymore. I pray that Mayor Jerry Abramson can fix this somehow for all of us here in Louisville!!! Some individuals/families don't have the time and/or money to travel to KI, HW, SFGM, SFStl, etc... even in a good economy let alone the 2010 economy, and sometimes kids can't convince their parents to travel or let them travel with others so other parks are out of the question!

Okay everybody, sorry for the doomsday like post but hey, look at my name! I just was trying to find another reason to justify the Kingdom sticking around. I knew this was bound to happen but I figured it wouldn't happen so suddenly! A lot of people in Louisville including myself still dont believe it! I also feel that the closure will have a more than minor impact on Louisville.

I've personally seen some bad layoff situations, but this is the worst that i've heard. Six Flags did't notify any employees! All employees found out on Facebook and the news! That has to be a spit in ones face to get let go over Facebook instead of a meeting or other means! Also on the SFKK Facebook page their was a post advertising a job fair in 2 weeks the morning of Feb. 4th! Also the Kentucky Fair board acts clueless as to whats going on while SF blames them for rejecting the lease! The fair board stated that they were still up for negotiation and SF has the facts wrong! I smell a potential small conspiracy on either side of the closure of SFKK! Either the KFEC board or SF or both are trying to cover up facts!

Also alot of people don't have a car or other means to travel and use to take TARC (Public Transportation) to and from SFKK, so traveling to other parks is out of the questions! But, for others, in past seasons KI sold cheap discount tickets in Louisville (around $20 at Kroger) so I hope that tradition continues!

"Look, up in the sky!"

"It's a bird!"

"It's a plane!"

"It's Crack Man!"

"Yes it's Crack Man strange visitor from the planet Nola, who came to Kentucky with amazing financial powers far beyond those of Six Flags. And who, disguised as Danny Rogers, mild-mannered CEO for a great amusement park company, wages a never ending battle for truth and justice"

I want SFoG to get back the shuttle loop and theme it like they did before. "Thank you for riding the Viper. The coaster that strikes twice!"

I am going to miss that coaster. I remember riding it at SFKK on the midwest trip thinking, "This is probably my last ride on this" so I stayed on it for nearly 10 runs.

Ah it will be missed!

http://history.amusement-parks.com/vipersfog.htm

[/img]

I guess I was too busy with the "Chang being relocated to SFGAM" rumor. Which still hasn't been announced, but now that this has happened, I am sure something will be said about it.

I would love for SFGAM to get Greezed Lightning though.

I think I can safely say that Chang will be coming to SFGAm.

I never got to go to this park. I really was looking forward to trying this summer. I can see that will not be a possibility anymore. Lets hope they divide the rides up nicely. I would love to see a lot of things go to Six Flags America since the park in my opinion is not that fun anymore.

I've now had my first visit at two parks in the year they closed. My first trip to Geauga Lake was in 2007 (and I actually remarked during my visit that they should shut down the rides side and keep the water park open, how ironic), and my first trip to SFKK was this past summer. Crazy.

My first visit ever to SFA is going to be in April, I wonder if that spells doom for that park, as well?!?! :zomfg!!!!:

As of this moment, I ban you from Cedar Point

Holiday World really does have a chance to become BIG. Now don't get me wrong, I know that Holiday World is a 'big' park and does 'big' numbers but this can really help them get in the big leagues.

I don't know how many times we've stayed in hotels in the Santa Claus area only to see some kids pick up a brochure to SFKK and say "Look mom, they have big roller coasters that go upside down!". If Holiday World picked up a big steel, or smaller looping coaster they can really make a push to get ALL of SFKK's old business.

Oh, and yes, I hope Splashin Safari continues to expand cause this is going to be MAJOR, and that water park already gets ridiculously crowded!

To all those begging for HW to get a steel looper:

You've got to remember that HW seems to expand with a "cash on hand" philosophy. They put in smart upgrades using only the money they have. I've never seen them go deep into debt to put in anything new.

Think about this: Their largest capital project ever was the Thanksgiving addition. That cost $10M total. Land Prep/Voyage/Gobbler Getaway/Buildings/Etc. =$10M. Now a basic B&M invert starts around $10-$12M with customs and other models being more. Intamin is the same. Think about Maverick. That is just the sort of coaster that would be perfect for HW. Maverick = $24M.

I'm just not sure HW is willing to spend/risk the kind of capital it would take to stick a world class steel coaster in there. And they also wouldn't just put in a piece of junk. Nobody wants an awesome steelie at HW more than me, but I'm not sure when (or if) it will ever happen.

If they won't buy new, I guess a good scenario would be if Hard Rock/Freestyle closed and they picked up Led Zep/Time Machine for $8-10M. But I'd bet FMP could sell it for more than that to someone else.

In the end, Holiday World is not stupid. They know the public wants an awesome steel looper. I'm sure they have a plan to add one at some point. The big question is when...

Edited by Emiroo

^^There's always the possibility of limiting capital improvements for a couple of years and concentrating that spend one year for a bigger installation.

It's real easy for enthusiasts to sit back and speculate, it's the parks that have the difficult part of implementing and staying profitable.

Maverick was $21 million, not 24.

What about a coaster like Fahrenheit? That was only $12.1 million. If the Thanksgiving expansion was $13 million, then Fahrenheit is well within their range. Or perhaps a coaster like the new one Kennywood is getting this year? Sky Rocket from Premier Rides. There are many other options for crowd-pleasers besides a $20+ million Intamin or B&M.

So is the park going to be operated by different management, or are they straight-up getting rid of it? If so, what'll become of all the rides there?

You have pretty much summed up all the major questions that have been asked over the past 10 pages.

Random ride placement thoughts:

You know, if they painted GL red & yellow - you now have "Flash:The Ride", great for their DC heroes theme.

Would be amazing to see the giant ferris wheel on top of SFMM's hill. Certainly an amazing view. Also, hope they recycle the Thrill Park Theater and send that to SFMM (replace Carrot Club?). And since SFMM is my home SF park, biased towards receiving the huss breakdance.

RRE - great for the parks without a Tony Hawk spinning coaster.

T2 - sell that sucker, along with the wood coasters.