TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I, too, thought things like this might be afoot once Chang was removed. To take away a flagship roller coaster like that is fishy. They seemed to be promoting the water park heavily, so if anything, I thought at least that would stay. To hear the whole thing is going--especially so suddenly--is upsetting. I think it's the suddenness of this that gets me the most. Of course there were signs it was coming, but not so seemingly out of the blue like this.

Darn. I was planning on visiting this summer. Now I'm bummed that I'll have more credits to add to the "Missed List."

~Megan

Six Flags doesn't seem to fair well with lease agreements. Isn't this sort of what happened with their water park in Sacramento? Then there's SFNO and Wyandot Lake- the only one is a happy ending.

They still have the lease arrangement in place for LaRonde.

Speaking of SFA, anyone think the same thing may happen there too? There aren't as many hints as SFKK because SFA's major attraction hasn't been removed, but it seems like Six Flags wants to get rid of all the stuff they don't want before their 50th Anniversary.

There really aren't any signs indicating the same things are happening to SFA. The only thing that makes SFA look bad at the moment is the fact they haven't received a major coaster for a number of years, and in that time they have removed a good number of rides.

On the flip side, they are receiving a massive Thomas Town and apparently a new thrilling attraction in 2011. And the rides removed over the past couple seasons were all maintenance nightmare; and the same ride models were removed from other parks due to the same issues.

Time will tell what Six Flags wants to do there. I really hope that if Six Flags does intend to get rid of SFA they sell it as a park and don't Astoworld it. SFA has potential, Six Flags has managed to completely fail at properly harnessing it in many areas.

Isn't there a huge Ford Manufacturing Plant there or did that go under too.

Both Ford Plants are STRUGGLING!!! Thousands of layoffs and contract buyouts over the last couple of years. The Explorer plant on fern valley rd.'s parking lot used to be filled with thousands of Ford explorers, but in recent years, the lot is either completely empty or maybe has about 20 explorers max. I wouldn't be surprised if the plants went under soon with the US under Obama becoming energy minded and cars like explorers are looked down upon and don't sell compared to the US of the 90s. IIRC, the plants are to expensive for a retrofit to sell compact gas savers so the plants will close or just slowly produce Explorers and the other plant slowly produce F-series trucks slowly which doesn't require the Louisville owning work force they used to have years ago.

For what its worth - the GM plants in Ohio look the same way and they make sedans for Chevy... Tough and sad times all over.

Shocker!

Yeah, Everbody saw this coming eventually. I mean, they made no efforts to reopen Twisted Twins and removed Chang, the pride and glory of the park... T2, probably will end up for sale as it is unneeded at any of the current Six Flags Parks (probably will go to Darien Lake to sit in storage) ...Roller Skater will go to some park like Six Flags St. Louis...

And greezed Lightning? Who wants scrap metal. I mean It's a good ride but I don't think it would be a good investment to keep it.

I also think the writing was on the wall with the removal of Chang last year.

As a memory, I used to see SFKK in the distance from the freeway on the way to Florida, but we didn't go because it was always during the off-season. Maybe the Kentucky State Fairgrounds could keep some of the rides and run it a la Pullyap Fair. Just an idea!

Aside from Louisville's economy going rock bottom, I believe Louisville's crime rate will also go up exponentially! A lot of would be delinquents now are out of work/have nothing to do for fun. Kentucky Kingdom kept people out of trouble in more ways than one! I guarantee there will be more wanabee dope boyz running around trying to hustle up fast money cause they don't/no longer have a summer job! Also some teens will commit crimes for fun and thrill because their's no more fun and thrill in Louisville anymore. I pray that Mayor Jerry Abramson can fix this somehow for all of us here in Louisville!!! Some individuals/families don't have the time and/or money to travel to KI, HW, SFGM, SFStl, etc... even in a good economy let alone the 2010 economy, and sometimes kids can't convince their parents to travel or let them travel with others so other parks are out of the question!

Aside from Louisville's economy going rock bottom, I believe Louisville's crime rate will also go up exponentially! A lot of would be delinquents now are out of work/have nothing to do for fun. Kentucky Kingdom kept people out of trouble in more ways than one! I guarantee there will be more wanabee dope boyz running around trying to hustle up fast money cause they don't/no longer have a summer job! Also some teens will commit crimes for fun and thrill because their's no more fun and thrill in Louisville anymore. I pray that Mayor Jerry Abramson can fix this somehow for all of us here in Louisville!!! Some individuals/families don't have the time and/or money to travel to KI, HW, SFGM, SFStl, etc... even in a good economy let alone the 2010 economy, and sometimes kids can't convince their parents to travel or let them travel with others so other parks are out of the question!

Oh dear...are you serious?

By the park closing it's going to cause all of the employees to become terrible people and go on crime sprees?

Go get a job at the mall or at UPS.

SFKK closing is not going to lead to some sort of Armageddon of Louisville!

If SFKK was hiring a bunch of potential problem kids then maybe I'm glad I never made it there.

^Thanks Big Mike, no one answered me yet.

The dragsters have been gone for some time, I know they weren't there in 2007.

The Dragsters were gone already on my visit to the park in 2006.

I'm almost 100% sure that most of the salvageable parts like the cars and catch cars on the drop tower were sent to SFSTL.

I also heard that some of the parts were sent to SFGAM.

Ok...this is the stupidest thing I've ever read......well at least on THIS thread. So Six Flags is now a role model for being a good teenager? Without Six Flags in Louisville this is going to cause teenagers to revolt and go Ape$h!t? Riiight......The way it reads is that Louisville's biggest baby sitter is leaving town.

Sorry for the rant....but.......I just had to.

*side note* Yay!! I just hit my 100th post.......however a little disappointed that I had to waste it on something like this. At least now I'm a "Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast"

Looks like the mayor of Louisville is trying to keep the park from closing by asking the State Fair board to reconsider the lease:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100204/BUSINESS/2040358/Six+Flags+to+close+Kentucky+Kingdom

Frankly, I think Six Flags will walk away, regardless of lease negotiations.

But it might be a great time for someone else to pick it up. Its early enough to make a Memorial Day opening. Time will tell.

Just my luck that this park closes! I actually planned to go there sometime this summer. I honestly didn't see it coming, but I should have known something was up when Chang was removed. I guess I was too busy with the "Chang being relocated to SFGAM" rumor. Which still hasn't been announced, but now that this has happened, I am sure something will be said about it.

I would love for SFGAM to get Greezed Lightning though.

Some individuals/families don't have the time and/or money to travel to KI, HW, SFGM, SFStl, etc... even in a good economy let alone the 2010 economy, and sometimes kids can't convince their parents to travel or let them travel with others so other parks are out of the question!

If families in your area don't have the time or money to drive one hour and 20 minutes to Holiday World then what business did they have going to SFKK or a sporting event.

I've now had my first visit at two parks in the year they closed. My first trip to Geauga Lake was in 2007 (and I actually remarked during my visit that they should shut down the rides side and keep the water park open, how ironic), and my first trip to SFKK was this past summer. Crazy.

My first visit ever to SFA is going to be in April, I wonder if that spells doom for that park, as well?!?! :zomfg!!!!:

I've now had my first visit at two parks in the year they closed. My first trip to Geauga Lake was in 2007 (and I actually remarked during my visit that they should shut down the rides side and keep the water park open, how ironic), and my first trip to SFKK was this past summer. Crazy.

My first visit ever to SFA is going to be in April, I wonder if that spells doom for that park, as well?!?! :zomfg!!!!:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was next on the chopping block. Unless I'm forgetting something, they haven't added a marquee attraction since Batwing, and that was nearly a decade ago.

I wasn't the hugest fan of the park but I am a little sad to see the runt of the SF litter go. My profile photo has always been me on the Roller Skater years ago. I do agree that the only things to be saved besides a few flats will probably be the mouse and the roller skater. Oh well!

No more fun? Really? There's no movie theaters or bowling alleys or parents basements to hang out in? Young people will always find something to do, this will not have any correlation to crime imho.

Oh dear...are you serious?

By the park closing it's going to cause all of the employees to become terrible people and go on crime sprees?

Go get a job at the mall or at UPS.

SFKK closing is not going to lead to some sort of Armageddon of Louisville!

This is some kind of bad sci-fi movie in the making! Now all you need is a giant man eating alligator in the wave pool and killer locusts versus theme park crime mob and you've got Sci Fi Cinema Saturday!

--Robb

No more fun? Really? There's no movie theaters or bowling alleys or parents basements to hang out in? Young people will always find something to do, this will not have any correlation to crime imho.

University of Louisville sporting events, the Louisville Bats (Reds AAA team) play there. Two among many other entertainment options.

^Thanks Big Mike, no one answered me yet.

The dragsters have been gone for some time, I know they weren't there in 2007.

The Dragsters were gone already on my visit to the park in 2006.

I'm almost 100% sure that most of the salvageable parts like the cars and catch cars on the drop tower were sent to SFSTL.

I also heard that some of the parts were sent to SFGAM.

I know for a fact that the cars were sent to SFSTL. So were Twisted Twins' trains, which I noticed underneath Batman last October.

I also believe they have the following:

- Large ferris wheel

- Typical Bugs Bunny World kids rides

- Break Dance

- Pirate Ship

- Sky Coaster

- Antique Cars

- Bumper Cars

- Rainbow

- Enterprise

- Himalaya

- Rapids Ride

- Flying Shoe Ride

- Splashdown Boat

Sad. I've been going to Kentucky Kingdom since it first opened.

The Rainbow was already gone last year which really made me sad because it's one of my favorite flat rides. The Break Dance there is pretty awesome and would make a great addition somewhere. The only thing that was busy was the water park, all the regular rides were just walk-ons all the time. If they decide not to send the rides to other parks it would be cool if Beech Bend here in Bowling Green could get some of the rides.