TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

^^two million for the girl, and 8 for the parents...well the lawyer bills would come out of the girl's share

This is actually a lawsuit where money is owed, but like said above, it should be for the girl and not the parents.(although I'm positive the parents won't use ANY money for themselves. )

Why shouldn't the parents get any money? They're the ones who are raising their daughter, and raising a child isn't exactly cheap. Additionally, the trauma that these parents are going through is simply unimaginable. Not to mention the time they're taking off work to be with their daughter, meet with doctors and lawyers, deal with the press, etc. These people could be the crappiest parents ever, and they would still deserve some sort of compensation. (I'm certain somebody will try to twist my words here.)

Every day their daughter is in that hospital is causing physical and mental stress on her parents, and could literally be taking years off their lives. Who knows how long they'll end up caring for their daughter as she gets older? I know there are a lot of "what if's" that could be applied to this tragic accident and the aftermath of her rehabilitation, and some of those situations may never come to fruition. i.e. Will she be socially adjusted? Will she be able to find a job? What jobs would she have been able to get if this accident hadn't occurred? You just can't answer all these questions, but lawyers will certainly try.

I also agree that we live in an unacceptably sue-happy nation. But this girl is 13! She's going to need a lot of help physically and emotionally to get through all this. As if being 13 isn't difficult enough?! Her life and the life of her entire family has been changed FOREVER. They all deserve some major compensation for this, and I'm sure that they will get it, whether the case is settled in or out of court.

I've read about a lot of accidents (especially this summer - shudder), but for some reason this one has really affected me emotionally more than the others. It's the kind of thing that just leaves everybody feeling really helpless, but I can't help but think that something more could have been done to keep this accident from happening in the first place. I still wonder who will end up paying this family, Six Flags or Intamin?

I still wonder who will end up paying this family, Six Flags or Intamin?

AFAIK, the family has only sued Six Flags so far. But, I imagine their lawyer will sue Intamin as well, even if to just test the waters. Intamin does have a reasonably strong position in that they installed the ride 12 years ago, did not supply the cable, are not responsible for making sure that the cable is in good shape, and this model of ride has given probably over a hundred million safe rides across the world, which points to poor maintenance.

However, it could possibly be argued that not shielding the rider from the cable is a design flaw, which means that Intamin would be liable. The lawyer would need to find an expert witness to testify to this.

Why shouldn't the parents get any money? They're the ones who are raising their daughter, and raising a child isn't exactly cheap. Additionally, the trauma that these parents are going through is simply unimaginable. Not to mention the time they're taking off work to be with their daughter, meet with doctors and lawyers, deal with the press, etc. These people could be the crappiest parents ever, and they would still deserve some sort of compensation. (I'm certain somebody will try to twist my words here.)

Every day their daughter is in that hospital is causing physical and mental stress on her parents, and could literally be taking years off their lives. Who knows how long they'll end up caring for their daughter as she gets older? I know there are a lot of "what if's" that could be applied to this tragic accident and the aftermath of her rehabilitation, and some of those situations may never come to fruition. i.e. Will she be socially adjusted? Will she be able to find a job? What jobs would she have been able to get if this accident hadn't occurred? You just can't answer all these questions, but lawyers will certainly try.

I also agree that we live in an unacceptably sue-happy nation. But this girl is 13! She's going to need a lot of help physically and emotionally to get through all this. As if being 13 isn't difficult enough?! Her life and the life of her entire family has been changed FOREVER. They all deserve some major compensation for this, and I'm sure that they will get it, whether the case is settled in or out of court.

I meant that the parents shouldn't use the money to enrich themselves. Yes, I know this is a difficult time, and their daughter is now disabled. AS for the emotional pain,(don't hate me) I think it is an excuse to get money. Now if the person gets a mental problem as a result, then money should be awarded. I know the parents will need a lot of money now, but I just hope it all goes to the girl and not to enrich them personally.

^ I absolutely don't think you're a bad person for the stance you've taken. I'm just pointing out another perspective. I rarely post in these types of serious issues that get into big debates. I'm a real fence rider due to my ability to see both sides of an issue. I see your point on people benefiting from something that they really have no right to benefit from. However, I think that the parents probably need some kind of compensation, though millions and millions is certainly not necessary. As you said though, the daughter should get the money, since she probably will need millions just to cover her medical expenses, rehabilitation, and prosthetics for her missing foot as she grows and matures.

I really hope she's one of those people who finds a way to turn an awful accident into something positive, like the female surfer who was attacked by a shark (but still surfs), or a local girl who was paralyzed in an ATV accident several years ago, and has gone on to attend college and lead as close to normal life as possible. Their stories of what they overcame are absolutely inspirational. I hope this girl can find others to gain the emotional strength she'll need to deal with this.

• 2 weeks later...

^^Six Flags, from time to time, takes rides off their rides list online if they are closed. Deja Vu at SFOG is often the target of rumors since most of the time its not on the site.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_kentucky_kingdom.htm

Anyways, for some kind of odd news from Screamscape, it seems like there are no plans no to reopen the tower. It sounds plausible for now. However, Screamscape says that SFKK may remove the tower, which seem unlikely.

Replacing a tower ride with a fountain? I would just turn the tower from a drop tower to an observation tower. Is that possible at all?

Well the ride, let alone the entire industry, has received a lot of bad publicity, so it is possible it will be removed. However, I doubt it will be, sounds like something a GP would say or a watch dog group would try to have happen, and next year, I'm sure the ride will be open.

• 3 months later...

What is all this talk about a new kiddy area? I go to the park many times a year (and enjoy every one of them), and have absolutely no idea what "new kiddy area" you are talking about.....

OK, I'm impressed here. Earlier this year, I emailed SFKK with questions about Penguin's Blizzard River and what happened to Opryland's Grizzly River Rampage boats post Astroworld.

Not only did I get a response, it was friendly, genuinely helpful, and I tracked the boats to SFoT. I think the gentleman was Neal Thurman? In any case, that fact an average soul was listened to, AND treated well was great! (Bows deeply to SFKK staff). Well done folks and great that one of the execs is here!

^

I have to agree with Erik. The staff at SFKK was AMAZING. The park was clean, operations were great and Deluge was alot of fun. The staff at the park went out of there way to make sure that our day there was packed with fun (and lunch with Bugs and Daffy was hilarious.)

Good job - and keep up the good work. After my day there, SFKK is a park that I will definitely visit again.

Regards,

David McCollum

Out of all the Six Flags parks I have been to SFKK is in the top three for best costumer satisfaction/cleaniness. I went to a summer camp this year and we were not supposed to go to SFKK but thankfully the "detour" we took didnt work out and we wound up right next to KK and spent 3 hours there which turned out to be really fun despite what has been heard about the park. Unfortunatly we didn't ride Deluge which I heard was a really great ride .

SFKK- 10/10

Yeah, I've been going to SFKK annually for about the last decade (minus last year) and was really impressed with the changes I saw. Everything was painted, there were lots of little landscaping changes, and they got rid of that hideous path from Top Eliminator to Twisted Twins and reopened the path that goes under Thunder Run. I'm looking forward to the future changes.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/NEWS01/711300831

A judge yesterday said he will allow Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to begin tearing down the Superman Tower of Power, the ride 13-year-old Kaitlyn Lasitter was on when her feet were severed by a broken cable in June.

Workers can begin dismantling the ride Feb. 1, said Jefferson Circuit Judge Barry Willett.

Park officials believe the work will take about six weeks, said Carolyn McLean, a spokeswoman for the park.

The park, which is closed for the season, will reopen in April.

By that time, Kentucky Kingdom officials hope to have another ride picked out to replace the Superman Tower of Power, which is in a prominent position near the park's entrance.

"We have a pretty good idea (which ride could take its place)," McLean said, "but we're not ready to disclose that yet."

Publicity surrounding the June 21 incident contributed to poor attendance and a 46 percent profit drop last season for Six Flags, the parent company of Kentucky Kingdom.

Six Flags reported earlier this month that the 2007 season got off to a strong start, but attendance at its parks nationwide fell 9 percent in July compared with the year before because of bad weather at its Texas and Georgia parks and national news coverage of the Louisville incident.

The Superman Tower of Power, which has been shut down since the incident, lifts passengers 177 feet, then drops them at speeds reaching 54 mph.

The ride continues to bear a state seal with a stop order on it, which means it cannot be tampered with without authorization from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, said Bill Clary, a spokesman for the department. The agency oversees the safety of most rides in Kentucky.

The agency also has control of the cable, which will be stored until it is tested by a laboratory and the incident investigation is complete, Clary said last night.

The Lasitter family sued Kentucky Kingdom on July 12, claiming it failed to maintain the ride and ensure riders' safety. The suit also sought a temporary injunction to stop the park from altering or destroying the ride or the cable.

Surgeons at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Tennessee were able to reattach Kaitlyn's right foot. Her left leg was amputated below her knee.

Attempts to reach the family for her current condition last night were unsuccessful.

On July 30, Judge Willett ordered attorneys for the family, the Department of Agriculture and Kentucky Kingdom to agree on which tests will be done on the cable and which company will do them.

Willett had set a hearing on the tests for September, but it was canceled after the parties made "substantial progress," according to a letter the attorneys sent to Willett.

It appeared at that time that the sides were close to an agreement on the tests and lab, but two months have passed with no decision. The next hearing is scheduled for Dec. 14.

Larry Franklin, the attorney for the Lasitter family, did not return calls to his cell phone seeking comment last night.

Aw, poor drop ride.