TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Wow. What an idiot reporter.

You love parks. You travel around the world to go to parks. You have a web site dedicated to parks.

Now you are going to go on network news and say that parks are promoting themselves to be unsafe?

(Just don't give them Elissa's parents number!)

Yeah, Faux News strikes again. On AOL News they had a picture of a Superman drop tower in Texas and referred to it as "similar" to the one in Kentucky.

Other than being by a different manufacturer and not looking like the tower at SFKK at all, they're absolutely right.

Robb you are the man for turning that down. You mean to tell me fox News just wanted something that is their view only? They never do that, *cough*GeorgeBush*cough*. I am so sick of news nowadays just focusing on the negative and never have any other views for it.

I just got a call from Fox News asking if I'd be a live guest on a show today asking to give commentary about the accident. I asked them what kind of commentary they are looking for, and they told me they needed someone who could focus on "parks are just building taller and faster trying to one-up each other and in the process are just making rides more and more dangerous and the public should be worried."

I politely told them that in fact WASN'T my view on this and that this was just a freak accident. "You're in far more danger getting in your car every day."

They didn't like that too much and said that wasn't the angle they were looking for.

Nice that they were specifically looking for someone to bash the parks.

--Robb

America's impartial, 100% report-it-as-it-is news outlets at their finest!

I never really have much to say about freak accidents like this. Yes, it seems like there have been more this year than in the last few, but statistically, the odds of an accident actually happening are so miniscule it's ridiculous. A handful of accidents in any given season isn't going to raise the percentage of them by any significant number because the number of rides that take place uneventfully is so much greater. You're literally looking at an increase of a couple hundredths of one percent, if that.

I had to shake my head at this though:

“The people on the ride just came and hit the ground,” Smith said

...I really have no words. If the car "just came and hit the ground," there is absolutely no way you would've just had a single injured rider. You'd be looking at multiple fatalities.

They didn't like that too much and said that wasn't the angle they were looking for.

Nice that they were specifically looking for someone to bash the parks.

--Robb

"Fair and Balanced"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070622/ap_on_re_us/amusement_park_accident

From the Associated Press:

Rides shut after Ky. Six Flags accident

By BRETT BARROUQUERE, Associated Press Writer

Six Flags and another company shut down eight more thrill rides Friday around the country after a teenage girl had her feet chopped off at the ankle on a Superman Tower of Power.

State inspectors, meanwhile, returned to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom where the accident happened to examine the ride, which lifts passengers 177 feet straight up, then drops them nearly the same distance at speeds reaching 54 mph.

It was unclear at what point during the ride the 13-year-old was injured Thursday, said Wendy Goldberg, a Six Flags spokeswoman. The girl was taken to a hospital. She was not identified and details of her condition were not immediately available Friday.

Six Flags has shut down similar rides at parks in St. Louis, Gurnee, Ill., and near Washington as a safety precaution, Goldberg said. Six Flags Over Texas, near Dallas, also has a Superman Tower of Power, but it is not the same ride, Goldberg said.

There were no reports of injuries on the ride before Thursday, she said.

"Millions of people have safely ridden this ride in our parks," Goldberg said.

The accident led Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. to shut down and inspect drop tower rides at five of its amusement parks as a precaution, company spokeswoman Stacy Frole said.

Intamin, a Swiss company, made all the rides that were closed by both companies, said Craig Ross, a spokesman for Cedar Fair.

"We're going to keep these things down until we're certain it's safe," Ross said. "We'll wait and see."

An e-mail message sent to Intamin was not immediately returned Friday.

The five Cedar Fair rides that will be shut down are at Kings Island near Cincinnati; Canada's Wonderland, in Toronto; Kings Dominion in Doswell, Va.; Carowinds, in Charlotte, N.C.; and Great America in Santa Clara, Calif.

You are all sounding like complete morons with the "yeah that's Fox News for you".

First, EVERY media outlet looks for people to say parks are unsafe at certain times. Do you really think Fox News is the only one? THey were honest to Robb, which many places would not be.

Second, anyone at this point, after literally hundreds of studies proving liberal bias in virtually all US TV and newspapers, and after the BBC admitted they were liberally biased, who still rags on Fox as the evil Republican controlled news source is a complete and utter loon who really needs to look up the word "propaganda" because you've fallen under its spell.

You can be upset that Fox doesn't tow the Democrat line like everyone else, if that goes against your beliefs. But that sure doesn't make them biased, it simply means they are the only news channel that actually lets Republican voices be heard, and last I checked there are a lot of people who are Republicans in the this country. George Stephanopolis is anchoring the ABC nightly news for Christ's sake. Yet Fox is biased????

-r

You are all sounding like complete morons with the "yeah that's Fox News for you".

First, EVERY media outlet looks for people to say parks are unsafe at certain times. Do you really think Fox News is the only one? THey were honest to Robb, which many places would not be.

Yeah, I mean, I never said anything negative towards Fox News, just that they called. At least they TOLD me what they were looking for instead of just roping me into some akward interview.

They gave me a chance to decline, which is good.

--Robb

This is about sensationalism, not politics. If CNN had called him looking for the same angle they'd deserve just as much criticism.

My dig on the "fair and balanced" slogan was completely valid in this respect.

Second, anyone at this point, after literally hundreds of studies proving liberal bias in virtually all US TV and newspapers

Statistical studies don't prove. Only mathematical theorems can be proven. Either the data supports the hypothesis, or it does not. Prove is too strong of a word.

BTW, you do raise a valid point. Any TV news outlet would do exactly what Fox News did with Robb. Actually, in my direct experience, print news loves to spin just as much.

^Hmm,

Seems kind of odd that Cedar Fair would shut down the Gyro Versions as they are quite different than the 2nd Gen Towers.

I was just talking to a coworker about this 15 minutes ago... to me, the reasoning behind it is just good business sense. By closing the ride and ordering an inspection, it boosts the public's confidence that these rides are safe. Ride enthusiasts such as yourself knows the difference between a 1st generation and a 2nd generation and a gyro etc, but a lot of the general public does not. Hell, half of them can't even speak English correctly, as evidence by the eyewitness reports!

Kudos to you, Robb..... All the major news outlets are playing up the safety factor. CNN had a lady on who is pushing for the Federal Government to oversee the parks, which I am sure we will hear a lot of over the next couple of days. I have said the same thing over and over again- we don't stop driving our cars because of car accidents!!!

Shari

Well, if they really wanted his true opinion, wouldn't they have given him the chance?

But at least they were obvious & honest that they wanted to oversensulize (sp?) a story and put the usual media spin on it.

There is really no reason to scare the general public away from parks, is there?