TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I had to read that article twice to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I'm wondering how a cable could have just cut her feet off without damaging the rest of her legs or something. Poor girl.

Hellevator is exacting it's revenge! That happened in the best possible place for medical extraction though, since it's right at the entrance.

Yeah, I imagine they aircared her to the nearest Level 1 trauma center, and went straight into the OR. So, it really shouldn't matter where in the park the accident took place. They can just land the chopper right next to the ride. I imagine medics had to immediately apply tourniquets to prevent this poor girl from bleeding to death.

Yes, she went to University hospital, which is the only level 1 around here. A reporter at the hospital acted like they were already talking about the procedures to reattach her feet, so that sounds promising.

This is the official statement released from the park:

“At approximately 4:45 p.m. a ride malfunctioned in the park, and one person was injured. EMT’s responded immediately, and she has been transported to a hospital to assess the extent of her injuries. We are investigating the situation in order to determine all the facts.”

You know, originally I had this park on my list of parks that I was going to visit on my coaster vacation, however the day that we were supposed to go something told me not to go -- weird that an accident would happen that same day.

I was at the park today but I was leaving as it happened so I didn't really see what was going on. Im sure someone has mentioned this before but how could this happen? Ive heard the cable theory but were are the cables on this ride? Who knows. But i hope they open it up again I really like the ride.

I'm very curious to see the full report. Especially since I remember the episode of Mythbusters where they talked about cables and if they can slice a person in half.

http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/killer-cable-snaps/episode/878203/summary.html

Seems like such a freak accident. Hopefully they figure it all out soon and the girl can get her feet reattached.

^I saw that Mythbusters, too. As I recall, they determined that it was unlikely that a cable could snap in such a way to cut a person in two. My thoughts and prayers go out to the girl and her family.

This has to be one of the strangest theme-park accidents ever.

As everyone else has said already, I hope they are able to reattach her feet. In my opinion, SF should sell this ride to pay for the girl's medical expenses (and probable lawsuits). But nobody would want to buy a ride that cuts off peoples' legs so it will probably end up as scrap. Jeez, first that death on the TOGO in Japan, KidTums nearly gets crushed at SFMM and the very next day a girl loses her feet. 2007 sure is a dark year for the amusement industry.

That news video on WHAS 11 is kind of haunting to watch, because you can see a guy down there cleaning, and you know what he is cleaning up, but you don't want to think about it.

It had to be while the car was going up. I'm not all that familiar with the cable system on drop rides, but it could have been that the cable snapped, causing that part of the cable and the catch car to drop until the mag brakes stopped it. I watched the news video closely though, and it looked like all the devices that latch to the cars to take them to the top were at the top of the tower, meaning that they were somehow gotten up there. You couldn't see the whole tower though, so one on the other side might have been at the bottom.

Or, if there's a backup cable, they could have used that to haul it back up, and just a main cable snapped, causing the injury.

What I don't understand is how there was only one injury. Even if the girl was sitting on the end of a row, you sit so close together that anyone else in that car would have come very close to getting injured as well.

This accident is even worst than the fire in the enterprise ride which freaked me up for days not so long ago.

I really hope she will be able to walk again. I remember I saw a horror movie about a creepy ship and there was a scene that a cable cut many people on board while being on a ball or something.

Poor girl.