TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I'm sorry but I fail to see what sense you're making here at all.

If you jump out of this slide/innertube you're still in water? Last I checked on the video there was solid ground underneath and a two foot tall (if that) wall seperating your innertube from a pretty sizable plummet to the ground. That is absolute logic for a resraint. I wouldnt want to fall from that height. Would you?

But I think Waterviper hit the nail on the head with the lack of many incidences yet on water rides such as this being the reason for lack or implementation of restraint.

You haven't ridden any of the other water coasters, or any large raft ride for that matter have you?

If you get out of the tube you're still in the slide itself. You'd have to try really hard to actually get out of the slide. And it would half to be on purpose. And in that case it'd just be human stupidity.

Water slides are all an "at your own risk" attraction. There are plenty of ways to get hurt or injured if you don't follow the rules, or can't control yourself.

You just don't hear about incidents because they're not as spectacular as say a train derailing on a roller coaster.

This has nothing to do with waterslides. But it has to do with no restraints on a ride.

Check this out for stupidity without restraints!

Woman seriously injured in fall from log flume

(Sunday, October 8, 2006) - At Liseberg amusement park in Goeteborg, Sweden, a woman suffered serious head injuries in an accident on the park's log flume ride. Witnesses say that the woman may have panicked, and that she was seen holding onto a railing in an attempt to stop her boat at the top of the highest point of the ride, before the final drop down the ride's water-filled chute. The boat continued down the chute, leaving her dangling from the railing. She then fell down the chute and was subsequently struck by one or two boats that followed.

From RideAccidents.com

I'm sorry but I fail to see what sense you're making here at all.

If you jump out of this slide/innertube you're still in water? Last I checked on the video there was solid ground underneath and a two foot tall (if that) wall seperating your innertube from a pretty sizable plummet to the ground. That is absolute logic for a resraint. I wouldnt want to fall from that height. Would you?

But I think Waterviper hit the nail on the head with the lack of many incidences yet on water rides such as this being the reason for lack or implementation of restraint.

You haven't ridden any of the other water coasters, or any large raft ride for that matter have you?

If you get out of the tube you're still in the slide itself. You'd have to try really hard to actually get out of the slide. And it would half to be on purpose. And in that case it'd just be human stupidity.

Water slides are all an "at your own risk" attraction. There are plenty of ways to get hurt or injured if you don't follow the rules, or can't control yourself.

You just don't hear about incidents because they're not as spectacular as say a train derailing on a roller coaster.

Are we still on this?

Yes I've been on slides like this before. And yes you could get out of the raft and easily over the 2-3 foot wall that keeps the innertube from going out. That hardly constitutes a "really hard" way to get out of the ride itself.

MY POINT WAS... why is acceptable to have a ride like, as you say; be ride at your own risk waterslides BUT something less risky like a 12 mph kiddie coaster HAS to HAVE restraints. I'm not saying you have to have ridiculous restraints that strap you into each tube, but it should be harder than just scaling a 2 foot wall if you were out of your innertube. I can name atleast ten waterslides off hand that fit that description exactly.

The netting showed is a perfect example and was obviously put there because someone thinking like me saw people potentially falling out as a risk. If it's so tough to get out of a slide like this then why were the nets put there to begin with?

It's like the parks are saying we can take the chance of people being stupid on a waterslide that they could easily plumment off of and get seriously hurt if they wanted to. BUT on any coaster be it big or small you will always have atleast some restraint to keep you from getting out of your seat.

MY POINT WAS... why is acceptable to have a ride like, as you say; be ride at your own risk waterslides BUT something less risky like a 12 mph kiddie coaster HAS to HAVE restraints. I'm not saying you have to have ridiculous restraints that strap you into each tube, but it should be harder than just scaling a 2 foot wall if you were out of your innertube. The netting showed is a perfect example and was obviously put there because someone thinking like me saw people potentially falling out as a risk. If it's so tough to get out of a slide like this then why were the nets put there to begin with?

Ok, I can see where you were going with that.

Though a kiddy coaster would be carrying children, which is a good reason for restraints.

On topic though, this ride looks awesome. Too bad I don't see myself heading back to SFKK anytime soon.

That thing looks f'ing sick!

As for the restraint argument, I think "it's a waterslide" is a perfectly good argument. I mean, think of any water slide you're on, with or without a tube; the walls are curved in such a way to prevent you from falling out, much like a bobsled coaster doesn't have "walls" to keep the car from going over the side. The curvature of the track is enough.

To liken it to a kiddie-coaster, say someone falls/jumps out, but instead of plummeting to the ground, they instead land on the track. Well, the track is hard, which hurts, and your body - lacking wheels - will not continue moving forward, meaning that you could become stuck and possibly struck. Conversely, if you fell/jumped out of the raft, you'd still only be on a fun little waterslide, and because of the design, you're not going to get stuck in any part, and the chance of getting struck is greatly decreased.

Cool, its good to see another park giving this technology a go.

White Water World (opened a couple of months ago) uses this system on the Super Tubes Hydro coaster http://www.whitewaterworld.com.au/content/www_standard.asp?name=WWW_HydroCoaster and basically those copper fin things are sewn into the bottom of the rafts, and the electromagnets are in the bottom of the trough, with fibreglass sitting over them (see here for a pic of the guts of the ride, minus the fibreglass sitting over it)

By all accounts its a great ride and very popular (too bad we dont have the 4 person rafts)

And as for that whole restraint debate that is going on, the rafts dont go fast enough over the hills to eject anyone, and even if you did theres nets to stop anyone falling out of the slides. It wouldnt be as dangerous falling out of a raft compared to a coaster because on a coaster for example you could be hit by the train you just fell out of, whereas on a slide being hit by a raft isnt so bad since its soft.

Oh, and the reason these little kiddy coasters need restraints is not so much to stop people falling out, but rather because kids tend to fidget and squirm around. They would also be there to stop stuff like "look mummy, im standing up!".

^^

It is just a waterslide and for the most part they are very safe. Take this rider here: That is an typical waterslide. No major risk of capsizing or shooting out of the slide. But that isnt exactly the great wall of china holding her in that ride if the rider broke from proper riding protcol.

I just fear in this day and age of kids and adults acting like little show-off jerks that any typical waterslide, that doesn't take extra precautions such as this new one with netting, is not that hard to get hurt on. If you stay seated or even if you fall out you will be fine 99% of the time. BUT if you get that one schmuck that doesn't follow the rules then you got a potential problem on your hand. I'm all for the netting they are adding to rides such at this one.

Anyway, I worry too much I guess.

So, I'm pretty excited to ride this perfectly restraint-less water slide this summer.

That is all.

greetings ladies and gents, please pull down your air filled over head restraints and velcro them tightly...down there... no not that way acer joe...

sfne has one and i love the thing looking forward to riding this one too. not a credit but a ride that should not be missed i love these and tornadoes so we should be doing great on the Midwest tour. and just in case fun town in Saco Maine now has a pro slide tornado too.

looping slide any one got a picture of it?

sfne has one and i love the thing looking forward to riding this one too. not a credit but a ride that should not be missed i love these and tornadoes so we should be doing great on the Midwest tour. and just in case fun town in Saco Maine now has a pro slide tornado too.

looping slide any one got a picture of it?

Here you go:

I had several friends that rode this... and lived. Anytime I went to Action Park when this was there I said; "Hell no!"

^

Funny you should mention that because they would only let people go on that were... shall we say.... not fat.

As you can see in the picture the tunnel narrows at the top of the loop so that you don't smack your face/front side on the bottom of the top of the loop. Many children that rode this did just that and that became a major complaint with this ride. One of my friends didn't make it through on the first pass and had to manually crawl through the loop. Least, that's what he said. I personally think he's full of it though some others have said they had to do the same.