TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

On 2/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, swfan1988 said:

Isn't the land and rides actually owned by the State of Kentucky?

You would think if it was going to be sold, or if Herschend was going to take over the lease, then we would have heard about it by now. Also, why would the park need to tease the sale? Wouldn't they just announce it? A sale to Hershcend could explain the canceled raptor though.

I'm not saying its not happening, I'm just a little skeptical of the whole thing.

yes, the land is owned by the Fair Board. Whoever is managing the park pays a lease to the Fair Board, Six Flags felt the FB was being unfair and that's why the up and closed it. The reason why they didn't announce the Herschend take-over sooner is because it all had to go through governmental approvals beyond the Fair Board as well. I guess this is why the Raptor Coaster plans got scrapped. I've got mixed feelings, Herschend is a great family owned company but at the same time we saw how well things went when Ed sold to Six Flags. I did hear rumors of more events and more special things already being planned by Herschend so we'll see I guess.

Wow, having Ross serve as interim GM is a good sign. At least from their press release, Herschend seems dedicated to making the park a better park. Even if it only operates at the same level that it was before, I’d say that’s still better than it closing down or having no money to invest. Now where’s the hyper coaster? 😜 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeykaise said:

We saw how well things went when Ed sold to Six Flags.

Herschend was and is a different brand than Six Flags.

There is one certainty. Kentucky Kingdom will not be receiving a launched wooden roller coaster any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am interested to see how this will play out. I would not expect any drastic changes this year, except possibly an expanded operating season. I am hoping they steer this park in the Dollywood/SDC direction as opposed to the Wild Adventures direction.

Regardless, Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are still enough to entice me to visit the park someday.

29 minutes ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

I am interested to see how this will play out. I would not expect any drastic changes this year, except possibly an expanded operating season. I am hoping they steer this park in the Dollywood/SDC direction as opposed to the Wild Adventures direction.

Regardless, Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are still enough to entice me to visit the park someday.

With the major investments that Ed Hart poured in, especially with the three major new coasters which are all very unique for the area and world class, Herschend should and probably will use the next few years to upgrade the facilities, infrastructure, and name of the park. I feel that a lot of people, especially those not from Louisville, still don’t realize the dramatic positive changes that the park received, and I fear many still view it as the same park it used to be. Hopefully Herschend will alleviate some of that old baggage 

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Being a regular SDC passholder (being my home park) it will be neat if HFEC will soon offer a Platinum Pass like Cedar Fair to visit all the Herschend owned parks. Right now it's just 50 percent off admission to Dollywood and Wild Adventures.

• Like 1

Ironic that Herschend now operates both #1 and #2 golden ticket 2015 coaster winners.

7 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Being a regular SDC passholder (being my home park) it will be neat if HFEC will soon offer a Platinum Pass like Cedar Fair to visit all the Herschend owned parks. Right now it's just 50 percent off admission to Dollywood and Wild Adventures.

Getting 50% off of other Herschend parks, and their passholders to KK sure would be sweet. This goes especially for between KK and Dollywood since they seem to be the somewhat easier drive between each other.

Assuming Dollywood/SDC passes are valid at all Herschend properties?  This makes a pass for appealing to Ohio residents (me) that's for sure.  Being a majority partner and not just managing the park I hope this means reasonable cap ex spending in the future.  Like others mentioned there is always the fear of the park just turning into a Wild Adventures and never really see major (for enthusiasts) investment.  They didn't promise too much in their statement outside of expanded events and operating days.  

As long as cinnamon bread shows up I guess it can't be all that bad.  

Probably safe to assume the awesome out of state ticket deal is probably toast.  That's a bummer, 2 days and unlimited soft drinks for $30 was a steal.  

14 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

That deal makes a lot of sense and typically would work better for me than Platinum. Not as good as giving away the whole thing like SF, but that makes little sense.

13 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I wasn't that worried but that's great news.

SDC and Dollywood know their base and basically have to pander to it but unless they're boxed into that weird situation a gated park would be dumb not to sell alcohol. It prints money and the markup is insane.

Especially in Kentucky, last I checked there are quite a few manufacturer's of fine distilled spirits in the area that I'm sure would love to partner up and have a tasting room at the park......

Seriously though I think this park has a pretty bright future. I'm from KY, don't live there any more, but in the time I've been gone tourism in the state has grown exponentially. Lots of new hotels and restaurants and stuff, even in the little town I'm from, and plenty of people traveling there for the Bourbon distilleries and other attractions. I'm not sure what effect Covid had on all of that but the dynamics of that region are much different now than when Six Flags was operating the park, and much different than Wild Adventures in Valdosta which this has been compared to quite a bit.

14 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I wasn't that worried but that's great news.

SDC and Dollywood know their base and basically have to pander to it but unless they're boxed into that weird situation a gated park would be dumb not to sell alcohol. It prints money and the markup is insane.

Exactly. I worked at a park that sold alcohol and it was so rare it caused any issues. Hell, even the part of the Koch family that bought Alabama Adventure has added alcohol back now.

I’m hoping Herschend will at least be able to improve the park’s operations. When I visited KK in 2019, I though it was a good looking park with a great ride lineup, but operations left a bit to be desired. One train running on all coasters despite relatively long lines, and service was a bit slower than you’d expect. Overall, I expect Herschend to be a positive change for the park going forward, I look forward to seeing any improvements they make.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VF15 said:

I’m hoping Herschend will at least be able to improve the park’s operations. When I visited KK in 2019, I though it was a good looking park with a great ride lineup, but operations left a bit to be desired. One train running on all coasters despite relatively long lines, and service was a bit slower than you’d expect. Overall, I expect Herschend to be a positive change for the park going forward, I look forward to seeing any improvements they make.

That's always been my biggest complaint about the park too, even though I live in L'ville I'd much rather go to Holiday World or Kings Island instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sdcfan88 said:

I could definitely see them putting in another Mack Launched Spinner in its place if so. The park could also use a small footprint B&M.

I don't really see them spending that kind of money any time soon myself.  Hope you are right.

• Like 1