TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Isn't the land and rides actually owned by the State of Kentucky?

You would think if it was going to be sold, or if Herschend was going to take over the lease, then we would have heard about it by now. Also, why would the park need to tease the sale? Wouldn't they just announce it? A sale to Hershcend could explain the canceled raptor though.

I'm not saying its not happening, I'm just a little skeptical of the whole thing.

25 minutes ago, swfan1988 said:

Isn't the land and rides actually owned by the State of Kentucky?

You would think if it was going to be sold, or if Herschend was going to take over the lease, then we would have heard about it by now. Also, why would the park need to tease the sale? Wouldn't they just announce it? A sale to Hershcend could explain the canceled raptor though.

I'm not saying its not happening, I'm just a little skeptical of the whole thing.

I thought that too. I was surprised that everyone was speculating a sale because I haven't seen a park get sold with this type of marketing. Traditionally they just announce the sale to the public, they don't release teasers and promos. The more I read into this whole thing, the less I think that Herschend is going to buy Kentucky Kingdom.

Kentucky Kingdom's Twitter is also notorious for joking around, teasing enthusiasts, posting memes, and more. Don't get me wrong, I seriously LOVE their account (it's hilarious), but I wouldn't take anything they tweet super seriously.

Or maybe Herschend really is buying the park and I'll end up eating my foot. It does seem like an odd thing to tease, though.

12 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Kentucky Kingdom's Twitter is also notorious for joking around, teasing enthusiasts, posting memes, and more.

KK likes to troll coaster enthusiasts almost as much as I do, except they're a little less vulgar.

The latest Screamscape update from today is pretty interesting. If true, I hope Herschend takes care of the park and doesn't treat it like a bastard park but I don't have high hopes. I guess as long as Six Flags doesn't get control of the park I suppose a potential Herschend deal is better than the park folding.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kentucky_kingdom.htm

I'm not optimistic about this. I'd imagine that ticket and season pass prices are going to shoot up (which sucks because under the Hart ownership, they were pretty cheap compared to other parks). I thought that the Hart team would operate the park for at least a decade before passing it on to someone else, but oh well. I knew the pandemic was hurting them, but I didn't think it was to this extent. I will say that I'm impressed at what has been accomplished over the past seven years; in 2014, Kentucky Kingdom still felt like a Six Flags park, but now it feels more unique and the quality has improved. Hopefully Herschend doesn't run this park into the ground, but if history is any indication, dark days may be ahead.

Am I missing something here?  I thought Dollywood and SDC were widely regarded as being great parks around these parts?  Why all the doom and gloom?

No joking, I've never been to any Herschend Parks nor Kentucky Kingdom in any iteration, so I really don't know.

• Like 2

They *are* great parks! But have a very different history.

Remember when Herschend managed Darien Lake? Dollywood 2.0!!!!

But in all seriousness, I see people raving about the RMC they got but I don't think they are getting a return on it. The $50 season passes can only go so far for a small park like this. Honestly I don't know much about the park, I've only been to it once, but those are just my thoughts based on not many facts other than it seeming like they aren't getting a ton of attendance. I don't have the numbers to prove it.

I think it's going to be a challenge regardless of who is running the place.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Am I missing something here?  I thought Dollywood and SDC were widely regarded as being great parks around these parts?  Why all the doom and gloom?

No joking, I've never been to any Herschend Parks nor Kentucky Kingdom in any iteration, so I really don't know.

I don't hate Herschend, they have some excellent management, but I like that team that Ed Hart put together. Not saying that a national corporation couldn't successfully operate the park, but I personally like the local management that's operated the park in the 2010s.

I don't dislike Herschend either. There is just a je ne sais quoi about Ed and his team that I like.  I guess I like that its a local team running the park after what happened when Six Flags left. The past few years I've been in KY I've frequented the park and I've only witnessed a few busy days where I'd actually have to wait in line so what we see unfolding shouldn't be so surprising I guess.

I have to be honest, my first reaction when hearing the recent rumors was excitement because I envisioned KK being run similarly as SDC and Dollywood. However, after reading on here I do understand the concerns. Ed Hart and his team saved this park and completely overhauled it into something special, but I don’t think that KK would fall to the wayside in Herschend’s lineup. It’s far enough away from their main two parks and already has pretty good bones. I’d argue it is significantly ahead of the other properties owned by Herschend and if they were to take over, it’s possible that KK becomes their third park in the chain. We’ll have to wait and see, but this could be a really good thing if it comes to fruition. Although, I honestly always imagined that Herschend would purchase Holiday World before KK because it seems like it fits more with the styles of SDC and Dollywood.

One more thing: Both SDC and Dollywood have a special charm about them that represents their home’s heritage well. I feel like there is a lot they could do with KK to honor KY’s bourbon, Appalachian, and racehorse legacies. It would be interesting to see the theming opportunities in the park they choose to pursue or not to pursue.

28 minutes ago, HWLover said:

I have to be honest, my first reaction when hearing the recent rumors was excitement because I envisioned KK being run similarly as SDC and Dollywood. However, after reading on here I do understand the concerns. Ed Hart and his team saved this park and completely overhauled it into something special, but I don’t think that KK would fall to the wayside in Herschend’s lineup. It’s far enough away from their main two parks and already has pretty good bones. I’d argue it is significantly ahead of the other properties owned by Herschend and if they were to take over, it’s possible that KK becomes their third park in the chain. We’ll have to wait and see, but this could be a really good thing if it comes to fruition. Although, I honestly always imagined that Herschend would purchase Holiday World before KK because it seems like it fits more with the styles of SDC and Dollywood.

One more thing: Both SDC and Dollywood have a special charm about them that represents their home’s heritage well. I feel like there is a lot they could do with KK to honor KY’s bourbon, Appalachian, and racehorse legacies. It would be interesting to see the theming opportunities in the park they choose to pursue or not to pursue.

I agree, I'm impressed by what the company has done at SDC and Dollywood, and it would be really cool to see Kentucky Kingdom go from just an amusement to a Kentucky-themed theme park. They already have an area near Storm Chaser that looks like a frontier town, and I'd say it's the nicest area of the park; hopefully they'll make it more like an SDC and less like Wild Adventures.

• Like 1

If the price is right, the company will sell. Bottom line.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:45 PM, realKyle said:

I just saw him standing at the top of the staircase looking out at the park, and the hundreds of people who were swimming in the wave pool; and I thought "that has to be the most satisfying moment of his life."

I mean... If he has a family that might be the most depressing thing I've ever read.

• Haha 3

I mean... I love my son but all the Japanese people walking out of Tokyo Disney when a huge blizzard hit in the morning and leaving the park empty for the rest of the day is hard to compete with. The wedding/honeymoon were some alright days too now now I think about it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I mean... If he has a family that might be the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Lol sorry, I thought it said "one of the most" not "the most." He has a family, so I'd say that there are numerous moments in his personal life that trump something like that at an amusement park.

Enthusiasts: rave 24/7 about Dollywood, SDC, never spares a chance to gush how much better it is than the corporate Cedar Fair and Six Flags. 
Herschend is going to buy Kentucky Kingdom: This is bad bad news, shame its being sold to corporate. RIP KK 

Like....yall 😂

Yes yes I get it, shame it that its going from its individual ownership to a chain esp after he revived it from Six Flags etc Maybe Im a lame-o that just doesn't inherently see the issue with being "corporate" but outside of the sad thought Hart can't keep up the park right now, I dont see the issue.

will prices go up? Im sure. But what if that gets invested in the park? Dollywood has exploded over the last decade. SDC has added some big rides. I've not been to either park but people seem to love em, praise their "feel" and "atmosphere"  Like this is Herschend, not SF or even CF....I think the park will be fine and prob better off! 
Especially if the park is hurting, which Im reading it has been, I mean...what yall prefer? It just goes under? Seems like a great move to me, and if they can build it up to the quality of DW/SDC that would be superb as its just outside OH...I would surely go here much more frequently!