TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Went to the park today, had a good time. Not many people wearing masks, not many people being socially distant. But, since there were light crowds, everyone was kind of naturally socially distanced. I'm not too worried about coronavirus, so personally I was not bothered by any of this, but I can see how some people would be. It was depressing to see empty shops and restaurants and rides and games with a lone employee just sitting there with no guests to tend to. But I was glad to go and support the park and buy some swag. Also I think the water park had more people in it than the actual amusement park.

imo: Lightning Run first, then Storm Chaser, Thunder Run, T3, and KY Flyer. LR has slowest ops, and it's at the front so it's usually the first sought-after coaster. Best to get it done quicker then head to the back via the crosswalk next to Scream Extreme.

Does anyone have a good gameplan if you get to the park at opening? I'm looking to ride every coaster except the kiddie one once before moving on to Holiday World for the rest of the day.

Definitely hit Lightning Run first since it's by the entrance and the line will only go up. If you can get on and off before the line forms it's worth reriding. You should then hit T3 if you plan to ride it since that ride has a putrid capacity.

From there, it depends how many Storm Chaser rides you want. If you want several, I'd go there next. If you don't want many laps, I'd get a quick ride on Kentucky Flyer and Thunder Run before going back to Storm Chaser.

If you're only there to get one cred on each but skip T3 and Roller Skater, you'll be in and out way quicker than you'll expect. Don't hesitate to get a re-ride on a favorite. Just my 2 cents tho.

I appreciate the input, Canobie Coaster.

^ Yeah, I'm definitely not looking at this park as a "credit run," as the rides appear to be exemplary. I'm hoping that it will be a place that I will want to spend more time at in the future. I'm really looking forward to Holiday World, but I likely will re-ride something at KK if the lines are short.

I appreciate the input, Canobie Coaster.

^ Yeah, I'm definitely not looking at this park as a "credit run," as the rides appear to be exemplary. I'm hoping that it will be a place that I will want to spend more time at in the future. I'm really looking forward to Holiday World, but I likely will re-ride something at KK if the lines are short.

Everyone is different and I am the vast minority but I did HW and KK in the same weekend and had a way better time at Kentucky Kingdom. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are incredible

I'm excited to see the new Intamin models coming and I know it's been posted here before about permits being filed by Intamin for work so I'm thinking based on what posted here that KK is getting the dueling Infinity model which looks bad ass.

^What permits have you seen that link Kentucky Kingdom and Intamin? The only permit I’ve seen was for a “Raptor,” which is specifically the name for RMC’s single rail model.

I'm excited to see the new Intamin models coming and I know it's been posted here before about permits being filed by Intamin for work so I'm thinking based on what posted here that KK is getting the dueling Infinity model which looks bad ass.

As much as I love Intamin I predict it being RMC. Between Ed Hart working a lot with RMC, theI ntamin drop tower leg issue and the fact its called raptor on the permit makes it clear to me?

I too think our next coaster will be a Raptor. The papers filed did state Raptor on them and Ed asked us about the Raptor models at this years winter walk through. I don't think it will happen til 2022 now, after this year.

Everyone is different and I am the vast minority but I did HW and KK in the same weekend and had a way better time at Kentucky Kingdom. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are incredible

The beer man at KK is on point! I'll take over-priced beer over free soda, all day long.

Ed Hart has publicly stated a dislike of launched coasters and that he does not intend to install one in the park. The chances of the attraction being a launched coaster are very small. Anyways the permits filed by the park state Raptor and I have seen nothing which even suggests any involvement by Intamin.

We were at the park on Tuesday 7/28.

Didn't even get there until about 1pm Rode SC,TR,LR a couple times each and spent a couple hours relaxing at the water park. Could have easily done more if we arrived at open.

Masks required during entry, as well as in shops, bathrooms and restaurants not walking around on the midway..... Ride stations seemed to be a grey area.

Is his reasoning due to cost and reliability issues?

iirc, it was from personal preference. I believe he mentioned it to a KK winter walkthrough group about preferring the anticipation of a lift hill over the suddenness of a launch, tho he said it in a different way.

Someone should take Ed Hart to Do-Dodonpa then and let him feel what S&S can do with a proper launch. I feel like until you've felt the king of launches you shouldn't have such a strong opinion.... who knows maybe he's ridden it... but I can't imagine not liking launches after that beast.

Someone should take Ed Hart to Do-Dodonpa then and let him feel what S&S can do with a proper launch. I feel like until you've felt the king of launches you shouldn't have such a strong opinion.... who knows maybe he's ridden it... but I can't imagine not liking launches after that beast.

I believe Ed gets motion sickness and doesn't enjoy riding rides

Is that the 2001 ride that had a plethora of issues up until it was greatly updated a decade and a half after opening? Yeah... Tell the guy who is very fiscally responsible all about that one.

And just of pure irony, of the top two Golden Ticket Award "new for 2016 coaster" winners, #2 at KK still has more uptime than Dollywood's #1. Love me a good launched coaster, but even they all have their own special demons to deal with.

I believe Ed gets motion sickness and doesn't enjoy riding rides

Yup. It's why he sometimes refers to folks in the community about ride experiences in other parks.

I realized I should have added from our visit last week that masks and social distancing were pretty much non-existent at the waterpark even though they did have security with megaphones regularly reminding people to keep their distance. So, fair warning if you go.