TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Been a hot minute (a few weeks) since I've last been to the park, but today was last daytime operations before HalloScream goes into full swing so I figured I'd stop by for the final 3 hours of the day, get some rides and look at some of the early theming done for the park's haunt event.

20190929_161954.thumb.jpg.9f7c175dc01e06e2ea1a5814ece28147.jpg

These guys used to be out in front of the park's entrance, and got moved inside.

20190929_164531.thumb.jpg.9fec2e55dbfb5f764344ff9873aabe7c.jpg

Tin Lizzie's hot rods driven by some seemingly radioactive ancient relatives.

20190929_164644.thumb.jpg.ffdfff53b190fdda52aac2a0b7d50f1e.jpg

New show? Don't remember reading about this on the site. At the same location the Sea Lions would perform.

20190929_164758.thumb.jpg.cc17c2ff0153b27b188d5afb821affd6.jpg

The 4D Cinema facade was actively getting a makeover with some new stuff. Friendly reminder that the cinema itself will get a new show featuring Friday the 13th.

20190929_170502.thumb.jpg.ea5edfb73679240e6892cc955fbb49af.jpg

Storm Chaser and Lightning Run's station light also got a lil decoration. On top of that, some areas of the park received blacklight, and plenty new lights were scattered all around the park to light it up at night.

20190929_174951.thumb.jpg.cf28bdd369f060c5dd99f2ae0e111fbb.jpg

The whole water park area will be themed to Mardi Grave, a spooky Mardi Gras looking area. The Craft Beer Garden will have Frank N. Stein’s LaBARatory and some of the picnic pavilion behind it will be dedicated to at least one of the haunted houses (I'm not sure where the other is).

Edited by Midgetman82

I'll be there this Friday for their Halloween event! I'm so excited. If all goes well, Storm Chaser will be my friend's #50th coaster and he is beyond excited. I haven't been to the park while it's operating since Fall, 2016, so I'm excited for more Lightning Run and Storm Chaser rides (sans losing my keys ).

One question: does the park accept online tickets pulled up on my phone or do I need to print my tickets? I couldn't figure it out online.

Got to try out the mazes at media night last night, and enjoyed them quite a lot! It's 50/50 from what I can tell on what's the crowd favorite, but my personal favorite haunt maze was definitely Zombie Wasteland. The food at the event was also fantastic, and there's more than plenty of spicy food options available. Friday the 13th 5D was also as I expected, with all the violence, gore, and jumpscares you come to expect from the movie, with added 3d glasses and motion seats.

Can't wait to be back when the rides are also open. The park looked fantastic in the dark!

Went to the opening night of Halloscream, with two of my girlfriends. Kentucky Kingdom did a good job, on the return of Halloscream. There is not to much Halloween props, through the park, just rides in the dark. Most of Halloscream takes place in the Picnic pavilions and the plaza area between the waterpark. The 2 Haunted Houses, Die Laughing, A Clown Funeral and Zombie Wasteland are located in some of the pavilions and the shopping Bazaar in another. They had some really cool " Selfie Props " in the Bizarre Bazaar. The Mardi Grave, dance party, was in the plaza area in Hurricane Bay. There is a stage, with a Zombie D.J. playing music and Zombies out dancing in the laser lights and Fog. All in all it's a great start,to the return of Halloscream.

1547010065_HalloscreamEntrance.jpg.847448149ac0781ae91412e81fc33842.jpg

Most of my pictures had me and my girls in them. So this entrance photo is all I will post.

Last night was pretty eerie arriving to the park so late and all of the dry rides still operating. Considering I'm most used to not being at the fairgrounds when it's dark out, and it also wasn't super clear that the park was open for nighttime rides due to how fairly dark it was in the park as well. Still, with all the major rides running it was pretty cool nonetheless!

Storm Chaser at night was absolutely bonkers and absolutely worth coming out to the park alone to try! So awesome being able to see less and feeling like it's running faster than daytime! The exact same could be said for Lightning Run as well, though it wasn't the first time I've ridden that at night! Operations got a lil funky when we realized (after arriving around 9pm) the thrill rides would close at 10pm, so there was only the haunt activities and houses to experience after for the last two hours (which with the lines for the haunts was enough time, I think). We saved the haunted houses for last and hit up Lightning Run, then twice on Storm Chaser before we wandered to the haunt area.

Compared to media night, Zombie Wasteland was EXTRA dark and loud, which made for a much more memorable walk through! Ed had mentioned at media day that planning for the whole haunt started to take place in July, and I absolutely have to commend the park on the outstanding work they did with it all considering the extremely tight deadline to meet for the park and for Oak Island Creative. I plan to be back for more night rides in a couple weeks.

20191005_211235.thumb.jpg.9bd6c480bf32962a69ae5ab1288a7a4b.jpg

The second trains were fully removed from LR and SC, so one train ops, but still not too bad of a wait.

20191005_212742.thumb.jpg.a480c1978df9a3045dc0baaafb88aa07.jpg

Love the cobwebs and colored lights in each station!

20191005_213944.thumb.jpg.e65609058a3c330796bb0cea1ddf1066.jpg

This was easily the most beautiful part of the park, imo. This was coming across the crosswalk path towards Thunder Run.

20191005_214133.thumb.jpg.fccf4274a348835c23e33949963f6bb9.jpg

The moon overlooking thunder run!

20191005_214156.thumb.jpg.3b27490a16ae5f9eed2e165cbc9d6eb5.jpg

Bella Musica carousel in it's full lit-up glory! Definitely a rarity to see that was worth appreciating!

20191005_214221.thumb.jpg.41dc6ec51e4609e7a37f38b8eeb19a39.jpg

So, fun fact: I did not know Flying Dutchman had lights on it! Guess I never looked hard enough up there.

20191005_220321.thumb.jpg.7d929cbd12bf9b2a22feaeb186d1d25e.jpg

Ending the night of rides with the very last train of the night on Storm Chaser in front row! While no rides are pitch black, it is definitely a much different experience and thrill trying these coasters when theres much less lights on! After this, we went to the 2 haunted houses.

I love those pictures, Midgetman82!!

I also have a TR from the event on Friday night. What I don't have in quality I make up for in quantity (hopefully?) and some descriptions of my experience of the mazes.

I'm doing this thing now where I'm trying to keep them all in one thread, so here it is.

I love those pictures, Midgetman82!!

I also have a TR from the event on Friday night. What I don't have in quality I make up for in quantity (hopefully?) and some descriptions of my experience of the mazes.

I'm doing this thing now where I'm trying to keep them all in one thread, so here it is.

Great report, that picture you took on the giant wheel looking towards Thunder Run, has me and my two girlfriends in it.

Thank you all.

Great TR Rawkin. Great to hear even KK's haunted houses stand up on their own, even when compared to a much more major events that utilize conga lines. It's great getting separated into smaller groups for this one for the reasons you stated, the scares being more directed towards your specific group.

• 4 weeks later...

Paid my tributes this past Sunday to an Arrow coaster two hours north, then snuck out that afternoon to go party the evening away with some leftover night rides I never got in my previous two HalloScream visits, notably Cyclos and T3.

I'd normally skip T3 at HalloScream due to the line spilling out of the station and the 1 train ops, but thankfully it was an in-station wait when I went by it this past weekend. Regardless of the rep the coaster usually gets, it I thought it genuinely lived up to its name with how much faster it felt barreling through its elements in the darkness. For those of us crazies that actually kinda like the ride, it was pretty awesome!

20191027_212627.thumb.jpg.27ba68c33b1d7a7227c13e038a6075a8.jpg

20191027_212652.thumb.jpg.393e4cff05cb9e91c0382d495a874a5e.jpg

20191027_212941-02.thumb.jpeg.4f81ce695071462c10c3e0c4d23ee214.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard an update on what the park will be adding for the 2020 season? I know the Flying Dutchman was having some issues last season, I personally believe a new swing ride would look great in that area. In addition, the park could use a true children's coaster, something like Howler are Holiday World. Rollerskater has always been a bit intimidating to start out on as kids coaster. Any one else have ideas or heard anything?

As far as I am aware, there is nothing new going on for 2020. Halloscream cost a lot of money and thy obviously haven't made back what they spent on the event yet. From my understanding the park is just getting minor improvements. A new water coaster is rumored as the park has been having problems with Deluge the past couple years. Also, Mt. Slide Hai has been rumored to be removed and the water coaster will take up much more room than Deluge currently does.

I just hope Halloscream is back for 2020. I haven’t seen anything about it yet. It should be the type of event that gets more popular as more people hear about it. Some of those sunday nights were absolutely dead though. Hope attendance doesn’t take too much of a hit with the big shiny new coaster up the street. I still think they have their eyes set on passing the 1million mark which they were doing in the late 90’s but haven’t quite gotten up to yet since reopening. Fortunately, the park has a robust economy working in their favor this time around which was certainly not the case pre-closure under Six.

• 1 month later...