TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Very nice report. Yeah, seeing it in person, I really, really, reeeally loved how KY Flyer looked against the backside of the water park, and I was right in it giving a beach boardwalk/"Coney Island" feel. It looked great in person and will definitely be a fun coaster to try out once completed.

I haven't gotten to edit any of my lil video clips from the tour just yet, but I might have a few things to show at some point later as well. Overall, very cool and thankful of KK's folks to show us around the park and get some really great angles of the coaster.

I'm sad to hear Fire Chief and Loony Balloony are on the way out. Those were some of the rides I remember the most from my childhood along with Pounce N Bounce, Rowdy Racers. I remember hearing some stories about the Fire Engine getting stuck at the top some this past season and it had a really bad shake at times according to some friends who work at the park so it makes sense for them to remove it. Rock N Roller looked really out of place this past season so I'm glad it is getting relocated to the kids area. Kentucky Flyer is starting to look better and better and I'm a huge fan if the way it frames the waterpark. Hopefully this season is better for the park, it seemed like it was never busy last summer which I believe is a reason why the back half of the park would open an hour late during the week to save on labor as well as closing some rides with larger staffing needs on days it wasn't busy.

I'm sad to hear Fire Chief and Loony Balloony are on the way out. Those were some of the rides I remember the most from my childhood along with Pounce N Bounce, Rowdy Racers. I remember hearing some stories about the Fire Engine getting stuck at the top some this past season and it had a really bad shake at times according to some friends who work at the park so it makes sense for them to remove it. Rock N Roller looked really out of place this past season so I'm glad it is getting relocated to the kids area. Kentucky Flyer is starting to look better and better and I'm a huge fan if the way it frames the waterpark. Hopefully this season is better for the park, it seemed like it was never busy last summer which I believe is a reason why the back half of the park would open an hour late during the week to save on labor as well as closing some rides with larger staffing needs on days it wasn't busy.

Staffing was an issue for the park on some days. Also, it made sense to close off the back half of the park an hour prior to the rest of the park. By closing most of those rides, they can get the majority of guests moved to the front half of the park and like you said, save money on labor. If I remember correctly, the park only did this towards the end of the season, but I could be wrong because I was always on the north side of the park. As for popularity of the park, it had its days. Weekends were typically slammed, week days didn't have many guests but I wouldn't say the park was dead or not busy. I really wish the park would spend a little more on advertising Kentucky Flyer, I have seen maybe one advertisement for it.

In the presentation at King Louie's Walk through they mentioned that Dole Whip might be making an appearance for the 2019 season. I've never had it, but a lot of Disney fans are obsessed with it. I'm excited.

I've had it at Holiday World and it's outstanding. Very refreshing on a hot day.

Didn't get to go to the Winter walk-through, woke up sick Saturday morning, was bummed that I had to miss it. Got some pics from this morning, that Mark Brunner shared.They are moving along pretty quick, considering the weather we been having. I'm really liking the look and placement of this coaster.

KF38.thumb.jpg.3b59388867f7b9eb614d1cb83d6f6008.jpg

Overview of what has been worked on.

KF39.thumb.jpg.292a814decf7c129c1baa70a6a9bc881.jpg

The turn around is all of the main structure that is left to be placed.

KF40.thumb.jpg.63c54331868dfa1841a0a225224d3cfe.jpg

Overview from atop Deep Water Dive

KF41.thumb.jpg.1077851e4c927503ff875429fb7743b3.jpg

The Station is being worked on

KF42.thumb.jpg.cc5f70c06f042a64a194e54da8f5fc87.jpg

Lift hill ready for track to be laid

Have some more pics of Kentucky Flyer construction, thanks to Mark Brunner. I'm excited about this coaster, at my home park, adds on to their punch! These pics where from Friday, the turnaround most likely got finished today.

KF43.thumb.jpg.e2144f9092cec6c7f306202abfde9c0a.jpg

Transfer track, that you will walk under to board the coaster.

Kf44.thumb.jpg.cb4a5bd98d899e035182ad42b09bdf57.jpg

Track going down all over the course

KF45.thumb.jpg.b9124ea0c387b495ca4dbc5a838c6665.jpg

Not much left, of the main structure on the back turn

KF46.thumb.jpg.6348098441e0c557cf0fd530f6c27c67.jpg

The turn around

KF47.thumb.jpg.1ef128520cb5366e2358f3e813f50052.jpg

Overview of the back half

KF48.thumb.jpg.aba0365fb034e1cabe3b1f6454a945e3.jpg

All that's left of the main structure to be erected

KF49.thumb.jpg.18c3300e3a5ea39e67e181af26cc1ba1.jpg

The turn around is about done

KF50.thumb.jpg.0b34e94c7aceaaa14cc375446b60cc47.jpg

The station is coming together

KF51.thumb.jpg.810397c7469c71a9edb0936d416a140a.jpg

Love this look now, as you enter Hurricane Beach Club

If it's anything like other Kingdom coasters, they'll always have two trains operating on the weekends. Sometimes they'll have two trains running on week days if it's busy enough.If they only have one train on the track and the crew notices that the queue is getting pretty full they can call for a second train to be transferred over.

Is it confirmed that Kentucky Flyer will have two trains? I know some similar Gravity Group family models only have one. Although KK is a larger park compared to parks like Quassy and Story Land, so I suppose two is probably likely.

Yes, it will have two. One train will be blue, the other grey.

The main structure is done, thanks to my buddy Mark Brunner for the Pictures

KF52.thumb.jpg.a53d3579c3f9baf53c9d886e06c3e587.jpg

Turn around is finished

KF53.thumb.jpg.74df1e11a7e498e3ead8ed48a2cdfa5e.jpg

Kentucky Flyer, is getting ready to land.

KF54.thumb.jpg.6a0a3baba3b9a1b68eb57def8f93af46.jpg

Looking good to me. May not be 200+ feet, but to me looks just as fun.

• 2 weeks later...
They are having a sneak peak night, Fri. April 26th for Season Pass holders to be the first to ride Kentucky Flyer. Reserved my spot, can't wait.

I might have to work at the park that night, but I reserved myself a spot just in case I'm not. I'm going to try to request off that night. I'm excited!