TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Looks like a good choice for families. Are these pretty fun for all ages?

Looks like a great addition. Does anyone know where in the park this is going?

Based on the animation, right in front of the mountains.

I haven't been on Oscar's Wacky Taxi, but Wooden Warrior is deceivingly fun with some nice pops of air (and from what I hear Oscar is the same way). If this ride is anything like those two, you'll love it.

Phenomenal addition and a really smart move by the park. They needed this!

If they could build out that stretch of the park connecting back to T3 with some shade and just a few family additions -- one or two flats, they could really make this a well-rounded park with this family woodie there (it'll be tough given the limited space, but parks have done more with less space e.g. FunSpot, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Lake Compounce, and Gröna Lund).

My main gripe with Kentucky Kingdom was that their limitations of adding "wherever space is available" makes it feel like families are crammed in the front, thrill rides are crammed in the back, no transition to the water park conspicuously in between (at least Holiday World has defined boundaries), and then there's that road jammed through the middle of the park.

Kentucky Kingdom really needs to build out as a family destination with some local charm (not a Six Flags thrill park where parents dump their kids for the day). They have really been smart about their additions and park planning these past few years and Kentucky Flyer goes to show that they are trying to keep that direction moving forward.

Edited by vertigomike

Question though, If that is the location of Kentucky Flyer, When or if they ever build a hyper or something between 150 and 200 feet, would they have room to put it anywhere? To my knowledge, that is the only area in the park where something that tall can even possibly be built. My theory though is that they wanted to build something smaller and affordable for this year so that in the next 3-5 years, they can finally invest in a bigger coaster like a hyper or even a RMC T-Rex.. What do y'all think?

I was hoping it was going to be back by the shoot the chute and the roller skater. That is a dead zone in the park

That was my though as well, but I'm confident they can build that out. The same could previously be said about the front end of the park back when it was just Greased Lightnin' and Road Runner.

They really need to think of how to round out that area. Family attractions and concessions would really help that area out.

I was hoping it was going to be back by the shoot the chute and the roller skater. That is a dead zone in the park

That was my though as well, but I'm confident they can build that out. The same could previously be said about the front end of the park back when it was just Greased Lightnin' and Road Runner.

They really need to think of how to round out that area. Family attractions and concessions would really help that area out.

I would think they would use that area. The Redditor probably just made as assumption that the new coaster would go in Chang's spot. Putting it between Roller Skater and Mile High Falls would be a great way to use space that's an awkward size and has some topography that makes it better for a coaster than flats.

A Redditor claims that the coaster will be located along the rear of the waterpark:

pc4k3fh2shp11.jpg

That was my first thought in terms of location. Looks to be the right general shape, plus I seem to remember them mentioning something about that plot of land when we climbed the waterslide tower at the King Louie event this year.

The Redditor mentioned that he was at the announcement for it, and they pointed to that general area when discussing location. FWIW...

Honestly, that makes sense to me, as a location for the coaster, assuming that the entry and station is down next to Skychaser. It would then wrap between the road there, and the water slides pretty well. Length-wise, I'm not sure it'd fit in the other location, and they may have also been concerned about noise, given the close proximity of businesses over there. Perhaps we'll see a smaller, less-noisy addition over there at some point.

Kentucky Kingdom is turning into a pretty well rounded park and a underrated destination for thrill seekers. You've got a great RMC, Lightning Run, Thunder Run, Flyer, a whole bunch of flats, and the big waterpark with 2 massive slides.

Seems like I'll be making an annual Louisville trip!

Other than Lightning Run, I hated everything about Kentucky Kingdom when I visited back in 2014. Despite that, I've been wanting to get back out to ride Storm Chaser and see how the park has improved. Kentucky Flyer looks like another nice coaster addition, and I'm definitely gonna try to make it back to KK next season.

• 2 weeks later...