TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Great to see the park trying to keep their wooden coaster in tip top shape.

I was personally a little let down by the endeavor when I rode it at SFOT this past summer (found the forces uncomfortable due to the seats), but it seemed to be popular so it should be a good addition.

I sort of feel like they're just doing routine maintenance on Thunder Run and trying to make that marketable but as long as they're taking good care of the coaster and it keeps running well then more power to them. I can't fault them for it.

See I would absolutely LOVE it if more parks actually did this. I'm so tired of parks letting good wooden coasters go to crap because there's no ROI in keeping them maintained, and then everyone begs them to tear them down. Such a waste. I get excited when they get refurbished though - it's almost like a new coaster sometimes. This will literally bump KK up a notch in my priority list. I might just be able to squeeze out a roadtrip over there next summer if all goes well.

These are fantastic flat additions too. I really enjoy the Zamperla Endeavors. Some of them need a longer ride cycle, but they really do capture the essence of the old enterprises.

• 1 month later...

OMG! They did c*ck in a box! I seriously love this park so much for doing this.

On a side note, we have two cats, and I have shared with my kids that melody, but they know it as "it's a cat in a box." They are in for a shock when they grow up and find out were I got that melody.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!

King Louie’s Winter Walk-Thru is Saturday, February 24th from 10am -3pm. We had a great turnout from TPR last year and it would be awesome to see many of you attend this year! To confirm your attendance to this event, please send an email to: rhouse@kentuckykingdom.com with your name and and contact information. Please be sure to let them know you are from TPR.

Here is what the event includes:

- Free lunch

- Souvenir KEY TO THE KINGDOM for each guest

- Q&A with Senior Management

- Tour of our Operations building and Command Base building

- Tour of new ride locations in the park

Please take lots of pictures and post a trip report to TPR!

Edited by robbalvey

• 2 weeks later...

Kentucky Kingdom workers could lose overtime pay under Senate-backed plan

Ed Hart, president of Kentucky Kingdom, said the measure would allow payroll flexibility to keep seasonal workers who want additional hours but don't want to get a second job.

He didn't ask for this legislation, he said, but supports it because he can't afford to pay overtime to employees who work more than 40 hours a week. That situation often arises when his younger summertime staff, many of whom make up to $16 an hour, return to school in August.

"You don't want someone to leave a 40-hour-a-week job here and catch a bus or whatever, and work part-time someplace else," Hart said. "I'd much rather they stay here, work the overtime, get paid a good wage but not get paid time and a half. I can't afford that."

Kentucky Kingdom closes for the season based on the Jefferson County Public Schools schedule, Hart said. It remains open on weekends, however, until the last week of September. ...

In February 2013, the city approved a $2.5 million incentive package to help Hart and his partners reopen Kentucky Kingdom, which had closed four years prior.

Among the items meant to entice the park's redevelopment was a $100,000 annual job tax rebate for a decade that was approved by Metro Council; another decade-long $100,000 allocation from the city's general fund; and a five-year agreement that the Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau would provide the park with $100,000 a year.

Council President David James said he was shocked to learn about the state measure, adding that his office is looking at what options council members have in terms of amending those incentives.

"It says they don't value their employees, and I think that's a horrible message to send," he said. "It sounds to me like we're lowering the values of employees to create a better profit to business, which to me is really unacceptable."

Hart said Kentucky Kingdom, which employs about 1,400 people, makes a profit but that it all goes back into the park. He said the park's partners have invested about $60 million but haven't seen any return on their investment since it reopened in 2014.

Fischer spokeswoman Jean Porter said they are continuing to study the proposal, "but have serious concerns with legislation that could negatively impact an employee from earning their fair wages."

Rich Seckel, director of the Kentucky Equal Justice Center, a nonprofit civil legal aid group, said the proposal is astonishing given that Kentucky hasn't raised its $7.25-an-hour minimum wage while many of its surrounding states have. Missouri, Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia all have higher minimum wages than Kentucky, while Indiana, Tennessee and Virginia have the same rate, according to the U.S. labor department. ...