TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I've never been here before and live in Nashville. Thought about making a solo trip up for a day or two this season for the out of state deal. More interested in dry park than water.

Questions-

How much time is needed for park? Dry? Dry & water?

How are crowds and lines on a weekday?

If I stayed at one of the nearby hotels (Howard Johnson, Ramada, or Super 8) could I park at hotel and walk to park, or would that be frowned upon?

Anything you would want to know on a first trip here?

We were only at the park for about four hours on a Saturday and we had plenty of time to do everything we wanted in the dry park, with multiple re-rides on Lightning Run and Storm Chaser. We got there in the morning and left around 2. Two days aren't even really necessary for this park, but with the $29.00 out of town deal it would be hard to pass up. I would ride what you want early in the morning, go to the water park for a several hours in the afternoon, and close the day out with the dry park. Take the best of what you liked on Day 1 to do on Day 2.

I don't think you'll have any issues walking from your hotel to the front gates. Consider it a non-issue.

Thought about doing this a Thursday and half a Friday, then doing Beech Bend Friday Night Lights deal on the way home. I'm use to Dollywood's theming, entertainment, and coaster line up, so curious to see KK especially with the deal. And figured staying at a walking distance hotel would save $ on parking.

We were only at the park for about four hours on a Saturday and we had plenty of time to do everything we wanted in the dry park, with multiple re-rides on Lightning Run and Storm Chaser. We got there in the morning and left around 2. Two days aren't even really necessary for this park, but with the $29.00 out of town deal it would be hard to pass up. I would ride what you want early in the morning, go to the water park for a several hours in the afternoon, and close the day out with the dry park. Take the best of what you liked on Day 1 to do on Day 2.

I don't think you'll have any issues walking from your hotel to the front gates. Consider it a non-issue.

The out of state deal was something I was thinking about too. I want to ride all the RMC's in the US, I am headed to KI next week and was thinking of spending monday at KK, hard to beat for $30. Park closes at 7pm so then make the 2 hour drive to KI that multi day visit.

I've never been here before and live in Nashville. Thought about making a solo trip up for a day or two this season for the out of state deal. More interested in dry park than water.

Questions-

How much time is needed for park? Dry? Dry & water?

How are crowds and lines on a weekday?

If I stayed at one of the nearby hotels (Howard Johnson, Ramada, or Super 8) could I park at hotel and walk to park, or would that be frowned upon?

Anything you would want to know on a first trip here?

- Half day if dry only, full day with water park. Unless you just hate water parks, you need to experience this one.

- Crowds are very manageable, though prepare for the coasters to all run one train.

- No idea, I stayed at the Red Lion by the airport, which was good and cheap and close enough to drive. Parking's $8, so I really wouldn't go to great lengths to avoid it.

- Make sure you get on the drop tower. It looks like a carnival ride, but it's way more awesome than it seems. Also if you like spinning rides, I hear Cyclos is good. I avoid stuff like that, so I don't know from experience. Other than that, just ride Storm Chaser and Lightning Run a lot.

I have a feeling that sometime this month, or early August whatever they are doing will be announced.Mr. Hart did say that their attendance does go up a little bit near the end of July/ early August so time will tell. I two was at the park for Koaster Kid's day and as we where leaving someone (wasn't a no body, this guy worked for the park) basically said "Be sure to come back next year, we will have something BIG in store. But you didn't hear that from me" Whatever they are planning I hope it's a good sized coaster that unlike anything that's been at the park before or currently. IMO i think the park could use either a B&M Hyper or a MACK hyper (don't really have much MACK major coasters in the US!). Rumors are still circling about a raptor or a T-rex and that would be great to.

As for the waterpark, Mt. Slide Hai is to be retired after this year and hopefully a new slide complex gets put in there, I would love to see either more drop slides, a half pipe type slide, mat racing slides, or some model of water slides we have never seen. Guess we will find out when we do!

If you're willing to walk to avoid the $8 charge, then you can totally do it with little to no issue (especially from the Howard Johnson hotel). I personally think it's a tad silly when compared to other park's $25+ parking fee, plus the trouble required in walking that far. But that's just me. I've seen people make the trek, so do what works for you.

I went to the park Sunday and Monday (yesterday) on my park trip and have updates for anyone interested.

I was overall impressed by the state of the park. Last time I went it was a falling apart Six Flags property. It's better but the clientele was meh and the ops were pretty bad.

A kid came out of the bottom of Deep Water Dive and got pretty decently injured like that child in California a few weeks ago. He was ok but his face was bleeding A LOT and his body was covered in blood from his face.

Breakdance was down almost the entire visit. Same with Enterprise.

The entire park lost power Monday at 6pm leading to some outrage since the park was so packed. Evacs were interesting.

The park was VERY BUSY both days.

Half the water park was closed Monday. This included all of Mt. Slide Hai (or whatever it is called). They were supposed to stay open late because of all the operational problems but then the power outage caused the entire park to close early.

The ops are better than the Six Flags day but overall it was average to bad operations and average to bad clientele. I left early the first day after 2 hours and went to Holiday World instead. Too bad my second day was worse. I still enjoyed the park but with the crowds and lack of op performance it was pretty bad.

I went to the park Sunday and Monday (yesterday) on my park trip and have updates for anyone interested.

I was overall impressed by the state of the park. Last time I went it was a falling apart Six Flags property. It's better but the clientele was meh and the ops were pretty bad.

A kid came out of the bottom of Deep Water Dive and got pretty decently injured like that child in California a few weeks ago. He was ok but his face was bleeding A LOT and his body was covered in blood from his face.

Breakdance was down almost the entire visit. Same with Enterprise.

The entire park lost power Monday at 6pm leading to some outrage since the park was so packed. Evacs were interesting.

The park was VERY BUSY both days.

Half the water park was closed Monday. This included all of Mt. Slide Hai (or whatever it is called). They were supposed to stay open late because of all the operational problems but then the power outage caused the entire park to close early.

The ops are better than the Six Flags day but overall it was average to bad operations and average to bad clientele. I left early the first day after 2 hours and went to Holiday World instead. Too bad my second day was worse. I still enjoyed the park but with the crowds and lack of op performance it was pretty bad.

Outside of cutting you in line, how could another park visitor possibly ruin your experience.

Other guests didn't ruin my experience but there are many ways that they make the day less enjoyable. There were plenty of line cutters, smoking in line, people just being ridiculously loud and many out of control children in lines. Meanwhile at Holiday World everyone was very pleasant. So no guests ruined my experience but it definitely has an impact for many reasons.

Has anyone noticed anything around the park that may hint to a new project? Markers, or clearing or anything?

Could be something, could be nothing...but I noticed today over by the exit of T3 and all around the ampitheatre area were all closed off to the public. Use to be able walk in that space, but it was closed off making a narrow walk-way from the exit of the ride through and back around to the entry point for it. Dunno if that's something or not but it was unusual in my book.

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at KK sunday the 13th for most of the day, about noon-closing We've been to the park a couple times in the last couple years so we know the park well. Mainly just curious about the crowds.

Thank you so much in advance

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at KK sunday the 13th for most of the day, about noon-closing We've been to the park a couple times in the last couple years so we know the park well. Mainly just curious about the crowds.

Thank you so much in advance

KY Kingdom crowds were okay. I went this saturday on way back from a few days at KI. The water park was packed. Lightning Run max wait was 25 minutes. Stormchaser was a walk on most of the day, couple of busy moments had to wait like 4 trains. People don't go to the back of the park and thus neglect the best ride in the park. The crappy Vekoma invert has a much longer line then Stormchaser.

Likely tolerable, and likely very hot. Don't forget the out-of-state tickets for free drinks, and use it to stay hydrated while waiting in line. Otherwise, you should be fine and able to get on all the coasters.

• 3 weeks later...

Some changes to the KY State fair that might be of interest to those who might be going this year.

The fair is moving the midway directly in front of Gate 1. Parking will be mainly behind the Kentucky Exposition Center where the midway was located.

The Midway (Thrill Ville/the rides) is no longer located to the right of Kentucky Kingdom's entrance. It's now smack-dab in the main parking lot in front of Kentucky Kingdom and the exposition center. (PDF Map) Old midway location will be more parking. Don't know if this means a heavy reduction of rides, but I guess we'll find out.

They're also using express lanes to get in the gates 1, 3, 4, and 6 quicker if you buy your tickets in advance, and they're using an app to help with which gates to go to. You also won't get to choose where to park. Everyone will be directed to which lot they need to go to.

Fair runs 17th-27th.

Now thru 16th -- Parking: $5/Admission: $7

August 17th-27th -- Parking: $10/Admission: $10

They can fit all of it in there, that's a big enough lot to fit it all in. It won't be as stretched out, but more compact. They might lose a few things, but most of it will fit. Before KY Kingdom came, the Fair Midway, used to be in the parking lot, behind the stadium, next to the highway.

I love going to the Fair and have since I grew up. Looking forward to the change, got my 6 tickets and parking passes.

Some changes to the KY State fair that might be of interest to those who might be going this year.
The fair is moving the midway directly in front of Gate 1. Parking will be mainly behind the Kentucky Exposition Center where the midway was located.

The Midway (Thrill Ville/the rides) is no longer located to the right of Kentucky Kingdom's entrance. It's now smack-dab in the main parking lot in front of Kentucky Kingdom and the exposition center. (PDF Map) Old midway location will be more parking. Don't know if this means a heavy reduction of rides, but I guess we'll find out.

They're also using express lanes to get in the gates 1, 3, 4, and 6 quicker if you buy your tickets in advance, and they're using an app to help with which gates to go to. You also won't get to choose where to park. Everyone will be directed to which lot they need to go to.

Fair runs 17th-27th.

Now thru 16th -- Parking: $5/Admission: $7

August 17th-27th -- Parking: $10/Admission: $10

I've not been to KK since it was a 6 Flags park. Is this the parking for KK also? If not what is the charge? I'll be there the end of next week for the 2 day special...

Yes. KK doesn't have a parking lot. You park in the Fair Board's lot to go to KK.

Even with the State Fair prices, parking looks to still be cheaper than many major theme parks!

Parking is dirt cheap by theme park standards.

Edited by Jobo

I've not been to KK since it was a 6 Flags park. Is this the parking for KK also? If not what is the charge? I'll be there the end of next week for the 2 day special...

Yes. KY Exposition Center and KK share the same parking lot (owned by State Fair Board, so they get the money). It's $8 per vehicle.

Something I didn't notice until checking their site just now is that KK will only be open to the public on Saturdays during the State Fair. Sundays are park buyout days and closed to the public. I would usually only go to the park on Sundays during the weekend, so this should be pretty interesting crowd-wise if I end up being able to go to the fair this year.