TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Can you drink beer and walk around the park or do you have to stay in the designated alcohol service areas?

This is what we call "beer jail".

Truth. At SFGam there were no signs that prohibited alcohol beyond a certain point. We asked the bar tender, and she said we had to stay at the bar... but she also seemed like she didn't understand English. After a couple minutes in prison we saw someone else walking around with a beer, so we said screw it and rolled the dice. No one said anything, so we're still uncertain about their policy.

I know for a fact there is going to be a big ride announcement next week!!! I even saw them doing some work on the area today! Hopefully, I'll be able to be there when they announce the opening next week and I'll be able to take a spin on this bad boy!!!

F604F983-1E7D-4177-B781-F52D37B381F8.thumb.JPG.fcbbf82d1be6cb877d9ce8c8958f64d2.JPG

New ride coming soon!!!

I know for a fact there is going to be a big ride announcement next week!!! I even saw them doing some work on the area today! Hopefully, I'll be able to be there when they announce the opening next week and I'll be able to take a spin on this bad boy!!!

How do you know?

^^^^Wasn't that the racecar/Nascar style Whip ride that was at the park, and they're just moving it to that spot in the park? If so, I'm pretty sure it is a kiddie ride.

Completely unrelated to that, and just for the heck of it, I got some photos of Eye of the Storm I made two weekends ago to share:

2S8A1064(Edited).thumb.jpg.c77be3bd275a01de5e8965675b55e708.jpg2S8A1067(Edited).thumb.jpg.99d247b8ba2075fee26787120d5a363d.jpg2S8A1080(Edited).thumb.jpg.5c9e79a35ea9f3577e155003fc5bb5f8.jpg

Still my first and only Larson Super Loop I've ever ridden, but it's still managed to put a smile on my face whenever I ride it. It's such a simple concept, and yet very enjoyable to ride!

Rowdy Racers is indeed the old Speedway ride that was located in King Louie's Play land. It was removed before the 2016 season to be refurbished. As of Sunday, they had the cars sitting on the attraction so I wouldn't be surprised if it were to open memorial day weekend.

It looks like we'll finally be visiting the park the Saturday after Memorial Day weekend, being June 3rd. It's Emily's 30th birthday. She wants to tour Evan Williams and have a night on the town, so we're going to cut KK short and do a half day. Will it still be possible to see most of the park and get a few laps each on Storm Chaser and Lightning Run?

I certainly am not a regular, but I went last Sunday (which was Mother's day). We got there at the 11 open and headed to Lightning Run for a walk-on. Afterwards we headed to Storm Chaser for about 5 walk-ons before doing Thunder Run and then another 2 laps on Lightning Run and a couple flats. We left just after 2 and the crowds were picking up (meaning it was a station wait for Lightning Run). I'd imagine if you went at open you may see something similar, although probably not quite as empty.

Will it still be possible to see most of the park and get a few laps each on Storm Chaser and Lightning Run?

Pretty much what defrocker said, I think you should be fine, especially if you get there anytime close to opening.

It looks like we'll finally be visiting the park the Saturday after Memorial Day weekend, being June 3rd. It's Emily's 30th birthday. She wants to tour Evan Williams and have a night on the town, so we're going to cut KK short and do a half day. Will it still be possible to see most of the park and get a few laps each on Storm Chaser and Lightning Run?

Absolutely. I went around that time last year and did the waterpark, multiple laps on each coaster, and a show, and still left around 5:30. It's a small park and everything is close to everything else. You won't spend much time going between rides.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Power has been restored to Kentucky Kingdom following a midday car crash on Crittenden Drive. The outage included the Kentucky Expo Center.

The crash happened just after noon shutting down much of Kentucky Kingdom on Friday. The park plans to reopen on Saturday at 11 a.m.

The power outage shut down rides and caused most of the park's restaurants and food stands to close.

Kentucky Kingdom was hosting about 3,000 students, some of whom the park says traveled long distances. But the park provided free food to students and their chaperones from the stands and restaurants that were able to stay open.

The park is also providing complimentary tickets for the students to return to the park during the 2017 season. The tickets are good for any day the park is open to the public.

Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved

man.........

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about this place.

We have a general plan for a Memorial Day weekend. I never book in advance since I like to be able to change things on the fly due to weather but as of now the plan is to visit Kings Island Friday, Holiday World Saturday and Kentucky Kingdom Sunday.

We had originally planned to do this in a line and do Kentucky Kingdom on Saturday but we realized that since Monday is our drive home day it would only add about 90 minutes of drive time to head north from Louisville, take I-80 home and swing over to Cedar Point. We then realized that Kentucky Kingdom would be a better place to start that drive so we switched them. Now we're planning on going there in the morning, knocking out the coasters and heading up to Cedar Point for some night rides before getting up in the morning, getting there for Early Entry and leaving early in the afternoon for the drive home. Don't worry about us cramming in Cedar Point, we go there every year, we're going Labor Day weekend, we go there all the time. As long as we ride Millennium Force, Maverick and Gatekeeper (not my choice, lol) (and if there's a convenient mode of transportation between the Millennium Force area and the front of the park then... you know, whatever happens happens) then everything else is a bonus.

Anyway, now that you have a little background, here's what we want to know...

- It's my understanding that this park's weather policy absolutely blows. Is that still the case? Are there any coasters that have especially terrible rain policies or are they pretty much all terrible? Do they re-open the rides quickly after it rains?

- Assuming Sunday has bad weather, I'm thinking of trying to combine Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World into one day on Saturday because of their terrible weather policy. In this case we would get to Kentucky Kingdom at rope drop, what's the best order to hit the coasters in? We don't care about anything at this park aside from the coasters (since riding anything else just cuts into our Holiday World time with that plan). If it's reversed and Saturday has questionable weather we'll stick to the original plan since Holiday World (from what I gather) has a good weather policy. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys, I've glanced at the weather but I'm not really concerned with it yet since I know it'll change a million times between now and next weekend, I just like to have backup plans in place so I can be flexible. The one silver lining of the backup plan would be more Cedar Point time but ideally I'd like a full day at Holiday World so combining them is just a backup plan at this point.

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about this place.

We have a general plan for a Memorial Day weekend. I never book in advance since I like to be able to change things on the fly due to weather but as of now the plan is to visit Kings Island Friday, Holiday World Saturday and Kentucky Kingdom Sunday.

We had originally planned to do this in a line and do Kentucky Kingdom on Saturday but we realized that since Monday is our drive home day it would only add about 90 minutes of drive time to head north from Louisville, take I-80 home and swing over to Cedar Point. We then realized that Kentucky Kingdom would be a better place to start that drive so we switched them. Now we're planning on going there in the morning, knocking out the coasters and heading up to Cedar Point for some night rides before getting up in the morning, getting there for Early Entry and leaving early in the afternoon for the drive home. Don't worry about us cramming in Cedar Point, we go there every year, we're going Labor Day weekend, we go there all the time. As long as we ride Millennium Force, Maverick and Gatekeeper (not my choice, lol) (and if there's a convenient mode of transportation between the Millennium Force area and the front of the park then... you know, whatever happens happens) then everything else is a bonus.

Anyway, now that you have a little background, here's what we want to know...

- It's my understanding that this park's weather policy absolutely blows. Is that still the case? Are there any coasters that have especially terrible rain policies or are they pretty much all terrible? Do they re-open the rides quickly after it rains?

- Assuming Sunday has bad weather, I'm thinking of trying to combine Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World into one day on Saturday because of their terrible weather policy. In this case we would get to Kentucky Kingdom at rope drop, what's the best order to hit the coasters in? We don't care about anything at this park aside from the coasters (since riding anything else just cuts into our Holiday World time with that plan). If it's reversed and Saturday has questionable weather we'll stick to the original plan since Holiday World (from what I gather) has a good weather policy. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys, I've glanced at the weather but I'm not really concerned with it yet since I know it'll change a million times between now and next weekend, I just like to have backup plans in place so I can be flexible. The one silver lining of the backup plan would be more Cedar Point time but ideally I'd like a full day at Holiday World so combining them is just a backup plan at this point.

My only experience with weather at the park was last year. Anytime it rained they would shut down the coasters and most of the rides as well. They would reopen the rides if the rain stopped but would go through their testing process again. I can't remember how long but it seemed like 20-30 minutes after rain stopped that everything was back up. Hope that helps a bit.

Went to the park yesterday for my first visit of the season. Park was not crowded at all so it made for a pretty decent day. All the coasters had pretty short lines except Lightning Run (more on that in a bit).

Let me start with Storm Chaser. I have loved Storm Chaser since it opened, it's really a great ride. Even when it opened and really crawled through the end it was a ton of fun. This year, it seems like a whole different ride. The thing is hauling some serious a$$ at the end. It almost felt like some Skyrush type of air at the end, which is always a good thing! They were only running one train yesterday and the back 2 rows were closed, so I was wondering why they just didn't use the other train. That line went pretty quick though throughout the day.

Thunder Run I thought was in really good shape. The new wood on the first drop/first turn makes a huge improvement and the new train is very comfortable. That was one of the best rides I've had on that ride. I only rode once, waited about 10 minutes for it.

I didn't do T3, well because I'm not crazy enough to subject myself to that kind of pain.

Lightning Run...had some of the best rides I've ever had on it yesterday. I've always thought this ride was okay, because it always seemed a little rough to me. Yesterday it seemed like a whole new ride and just as intense as Storm Chaser. It really had me wondering which ride I liked better, which I still couldn't tell you. They were running both trains on it...but it really didn't seem like they needed to because the operations were so painfully slow. I timed most of the dispatches at 4-5 minutes. They did send out a few at 3 minutes, but the crew was barely moving faster than a snail. I guess my complaint is minor and petty but can they not train their staff to hustle and be efficient?

Overall though the park has really improved. It's a lot cleaner, landscaping is getting better, there are a couple more drink stations, the Twisted pretzels are still amazing. I look forward to heading back when the water park is opened up and checking out that part of the park.

^ Storm Chaser & Lighning Run were both running as you described during my visit last year. The best thing about RMC is that Storm Chaser is the worst of the ones I've been on and it's easily a 10/10 ride.

On Lightning Run, were the slow dispatches still due to people having trouble fitting with those restraints?

^ Storm Chaser & Lighning Run were both running as you described during my visit last year. The best thing about RMC is that Storm Chaser is the worst of the ones I've been on and it's easily a 10/10 ride.

On Lightning Run, were the slow dispatches still due to people having trouble fitting with those restraints?

Yea, SC was running like it was at the end of the year, but even better.

On LR I only saw 1 walk of shame, and the crew spent about 2 minutes just trying to get it to work. The crew was just slow, didn't really have the motivation to put trains out quickly. I only waited in line when the end of the line was at the steps, still took 30 minutes. I'm not expecting Knoebles like operations, but I'm hoping they can at least be better than Six Flags..

^As slow as the operations can sometimes be, I will say that the park has had no major accident/ incedents since reopening which is something that they should be commended for. Although operation speed is important, safety is always #1.