TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I almost forgot, I asked Saturday about a Halloween event possibility and what they said was that they wouldn't necessarily do a "scary" Halloween event that they've been talking about doing a Fall Festival Holiday type of event, so that will be something to look forward to along with the Beer Garden

Even though Sky Rocket 2s are starting to become the new boomerang,

Dude, there are 3 in the whole country. Slow your roll.

This combined with the fact that despite the fact that I'm not impressed with the Sky Rocket 2 model, it's still ten times more fun, less painful, and not nauseating like boomerangs.

I almost forgot, I asked Saturday about a Halloween event possibility and what they said was that they wouldn't necessarily do a "scary" Halloween event that they've been talking about doing a Fall Festival Holiday type of event, so that will be something to look forward to along with the Beer Garden

I'd be all for the fall festival more so than the scares, personally! Although they would definitely be missing out on scare crowds that roam Louisville for haunts.

Halloween event would be cool. I personally think that Louisville has enough haunts already though. Unless something really unique is created I don't see a point in building standard amusement park "mazes"

If you haven't done so yet, I would like Koaster Kid's FB page. June 21st they are doing a Koaster Kids Day at Kentucky Kingdom:

Hi, everyone. We are so excited to announce that we have partnered with Kentucky Kingdom to do an awesome day of thrills and fun at Koaster Kids Day! Kentucky Kingdom is offering Koaster Kids fans discounted tickets at only $20 each, which includes admission to the amusement park, and the water park, and free drinks all day! Regular gate price is $49.95, which doesn't include drinks! We are also going to be getting some ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) on either Storm Chaser or Lightning Run for only our group before the park opens! We will also be selling half-price Koaster Kids t-shirts for that day. So, who's coming? We'd love to get a huge turnout to thank Kentucky Kingdom and show other parks the power of Koaster Kids!! A way to order tickets is coming soon.

Here's the link to their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/koasterkids/?fref=ts

Curious how busy the park would be on Saturday, May 6. We're kicking around the idea of taking our first visit and weighing it against Great America and Kings Island. Since we are limited to weekend visits this summer and this park does not sell fast passes, I was thinking the crowds would be more manageable in early May.

I'll bet anything that it won't be as bad relative to late summer. If anyone's out and about on Derby day then it's likely specifically for Derby. Apart from dealing with huge traffic messes, the park might not be that packed. If it's possible, though, you're almost always better off visiting on a Sunday anytime of the year.

Derby Day at Ky. Kingdom, is a winner. Derby Day at Ky Kingdom is dead, most locals are home watching the Derby, the tourist having started coming yet. It's a perfect day, the park is dead and the Water Park isn't opened yet.

With Churchill Downs being a 5 minute walk away from the Fair and Expo Center and with them using their parking lot to park visitors for the Derby, the drive to the park might suck. However, I've gone Derby Day the last 2 years and never waited in a line longer than 5 minutes for a ride, even with them only running one train on each coaster. I would say its one of the best weekends to go. Operations are sometimes a bit slow because of all the new team member working sometimes their first shift but other than that its a good weekend to be there.

• 2 weeks later...
With Churchill Downs being a 5 minute walk away from the Fair and Expo Center and with them using their parking lot to park visitors for the Derby, the drive to the park might suck. However, I've gone Derby Day the last 2 years and never waited in a line longer than 5 minutes for a ride, even with them only running one train on each coaster. I would say its one of the best weekends to go. Operations are sometimes a bit slow because of all the new team member working sometimes their first shift but other than that its a good weekend to be there.

I totally appreciate the advice. I was going to take it to heart and book our first trip to KK, but with the derby crowds came difficulty getting a hotel. We stay free at Hyatt and they were unavailable. Fate of this park and others around us sealed in a trip to our favorite park, King's Island. We're going to try to hit up Kentucky Kingdom during a Sunday this summer.

Looks like Thunder Run and Storm Chaser got a new Red & Blue light package. They were testing it tonight. Looks good, majority of the lights are on Thunder Run. Only the path cross-over area of Storm Chaser had lights. Hopefully this means they are considering keeping the park open later? (Fingers-Crossed). Can't wait for the season to start!

IMG_20170421_210056.thumb.jpg.5325a2712a89c99c7882f33ac8af2d93.jpg

New Light Package on Thunder Run and Storm Chaser

That is one of the things they mentioned on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, a local corporation rents out the park on Thunder so that is more than likely what was happening. Ed says one reason why they don't stay open later is so that they can keep the prices down and that is why season passes go for 59.99 because several of us asked about it and his response is would you rather have lower prices or would you rather the park be open later was his basic response.