TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

What is your definition of "do the park"? Are you saying one lap per coaster, all coasters with re-rides on the two major ones, all coasters and a few flats, all coasters, a few flats, and a meal. Some will say they can do the park in two hours, but not include all you want to do.

Depends which Sunday of what month you're visiting as well.

"Best Food:" My personal favorite is the sandwich shop near Storm Chaser (Louie’s Fresh Market), but it was closed a lot around the end of last season so a good second bet would be with Swamp Water Jack's or Junior's BBQ (both with A/C seating spaces). If crowds aren't an issue for you, then any of the restaurants in the water park, especially Taco Tequila.

"Surprising Ride:" Cyclos is the wildest flat ride in the park (and the best pendulum ride I've ever ridden thus far), and I'm always surprised to hear how many people skip it because the line looks long. If the queue line switchbacks near the ride are not totally filled, please do consider giving it a go (unless you reeeally don't like rotating or hanging upside down a lot).

If you're there strictly for the credit run, you will be out much quicker than you think (especially if you're there when the park gates open). A likely case is if you do a few coaster re-rides and include some flat rides, plus maybe a show, because then it's likely you'll spend no more than 5 hours. It is absolutely possible to do both parks in one Sunday (not including either water parks) and be satisfied.

Personally, I think either KK or HW with their water parks are full-day things individually, so plan accordingly.

Hence the 2018 announcement, sir. They're moving the airport for the fireworks show.

One can only dream.

I'd much prefer picking up the park and moving it elsewhere... preferably any place that isn't partially owned by the State Fair Board.

Edited by Midgetman82

Thanks for all the tips!

We would want to do all the coasters once with rerides on the big two. Some flats thrown in as well and probably a meal or snack if there is something worthwhile/unique/must have

Actually after looking at the hours we would probably go Friday morning June 2nd at opening, before the first night of Holliwood Nights starts. I think that would be enough time and we can cram in a full day then.

Don't forget the totally crazy freefall tower. I love those Larson/ARM models.

I was only there on one weekday, so I can't comment on lines too much. I would highly recommend the water park though even though you mention you were going to Splashin' Safari. Deluge and Deep Water Dive are 2 outstanding slides.

If you're going for Holiwood Nights, I would definitely recommend going to KK on that Friday. Keep in mind that Holiday World is on Central Time, so if you leave KK by 4:00 PM Eastern, you can get to Holiday World by 4:30 PM Central. 11 to 4 should be plenty of time to do the things that are most important to you. It's more than enough for the dry side of the park, and you'll definitely want to hit at least the highlights of the waterpark. Deep Water Dive is unlike anything Holiday World offers, so it should be a priority. Calypso Run is recommended as well. People speak highly of Deluge, but it was closed when I went, so I can't say from personal experience. The only slide I would recommend to skip is Tornado, since the line tends to be long and Holiday World's is superior. Friday night is Splashin' Safari ERT, so you'll get plenty of time there so don't feel like you have to get everything in at Hurricane Bay. Splashin' Safari is simply the best waterpark I've ever been to, but Hurricane Bay is excellent as well. You really should spend about half your day in the waterpark.

I've been to Holiday World a few times before so I know what I'm in for there and how important it is to do the water park 8)

Good call on the time difference I did forget about that and that would give us an extra hour at KK.

I wanted to avoid Sunday at KK as there is some other event going on; I think one enthusiast event / 2 days is enough for me in a weekend lol. I'll end up going to the Cincinnati Zoo on Sunday and then making a trip to Kings Island on that Monday as well.

I've never been on a ride like Cyclos so that will be a definite, even though I'm 50/50 when it comes to getting sick on pendulum rides... but that one looks unique enough for sure 8)

Thanks for all the help! Oh, does T3 have the newer vest restraints, or are they the old head bashers? I vaguely remember reading they updated them but maybe it was a different park.

lol, T3 is a piece of crap. Probably the worst SLC... the reduced pain from headbanging is negligible to the terrible tracking of the trains and leg crushing restraints. It's seriously torture. I thought it would be better than average and it's somehow worse. Burn that piece of shit to the ground.

Meh, it's a hit or miss. I've heard from people who have liked it, and people who have despised it. Few in between, but I've had good rides on it too and I always give it a whirl or two when I'm there (and survive). If you wanna try it, I recommend the back rows, not so much the front.

Cyclos is typically a one and done (or you're like me and had a chance to try it twice in a row w/o getting off... which I do not recommend! ). It's a guaranteed headspin, but there's so few of them that I have to recommend it to folks who visit.

I love pendulum rides and I love so-called "spin-and-pukes". However, I cannot stand hanging upside down. Cyclos and the drop ride were the only adult flats I skipped when I was at KK this past May. I also skipped the Ferris Wheel because they don't allow single riders.

T3 is among the worst steel coasters I've been on. The KumbaK trains helped a tiny bit with the headbanging but they are very "bangy" (center of gravity feels much lower than Vekoma trains), they don't track well and the restraints are not well-designed. There are two SLC's I've been on that are worse than T3 (Nio and F2) but those are very old and probably did not receive enough maintenance.

^I don't even think those trains helped at all.

Sure there's less head banging, but it's replaced with full body banging and cutting off circulation to your legs!!!!

I'm sorry, and I've told the park owner and managers this to their face, they should not be spending ANY more money on that pile of crap. It was not a good coaster. It is now not a good coaster. And no matter how much more money you throw at it, it will NEVER be a good coaster.

^I don't even think those trains helped at all.

Sure there's less head banging, but it's replaced with full body banging and cutting off circulation to your legs!!!!

I'm sorry, and I've told the park owner and managers this to their face, they should not be spending ANY more money on that pile of crap. It was not a good coaster. It is now not a good coaster. And no matter how much more money you throw at it, it will NEVER be a good coaster.

THIS. So much this. They are way better off with anything, anything else in its spot. Or nothing in its spot. It's the only bad ride in the whole park.