TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I remain utterly convinced that the Koch family had no interest in actually doing anything with the park, but wanted to delay it's reopening and thus siphoning guests from Holiday World, as long as possible. Their actions alone on that have really made me disinterested in ever visiting their park. They had come right out and said "Steel coasters? Yuck!" once, yet when Kingdom starts getting praise they go out and build Thunderbird.

Let's keep in mind that Bluegrass Boardwalk was an initiative sought out when Dan Koch was in charge. I think it's become clear that he had a different vision for their company than the rest of the Koch family. I'm a lot more comfortable with the park in the hands of Will's kids. Thunderbird (or some version of it) had been in the works for years, even before Six Flags abandoned KK. Something like that isn't a project you can throw together in one year.

Do we need to trash one park to enjoy the other? Why can't both parks be good?

x1000. Why can't you just enjoy both parks? This sounds something like Bush did 9/11 over here. There's no evidence whatsoever to support the fact that they never had any plans (if there is, let me know). In fact, it would make a ton of sense for them to revive KK. It would be more money for them, having two parks operating.

^There's no need for whatever social studies lesson or your parents' opinion that awkward Busch comment manifested itself from. If there's anything that can kill good conversation, it's politics.

I like the "tier" system so much better now.

The tier system is good, but I prefer the trim level system. KK'S RMC is clearly a the Base trim level, not a Limited model like Outlaw Run. Goliath is a good ride, but it's more of a Premium trim level than a Limited model..............................

Speaking of LR, those have to be the most restrictive restrains I have seen on any coaster. I fit fine in every coaster I have been on, yet this I was so far from fitting. It seems that they really only work on skinny people. I saw no one reasonably over 200 pounds riding it.

Sounds like you don't have to be "skinny" to ride it. The majority of people over 200 lbs are overweight, whether they're considered 'normal' by American standards or not.

Also, for whoever mentioned the fact that they were glad the Koch's did not purchase this park, I agree. Yes, Holiday World is awesome, but it's also a dry park in that they do not sell alcohol. This is the complete definition of a buzz kill for me.

^ I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that as a joke. I don't actually believe Bush did 9/11. It was a comparison between the two as a joke. Not a social studies lesson or whatever. Either way, who cares, let's get back to KK.

x1000. Why can't you just enjoy both parks? This sounds something like Bush did 9/11 over here. There's no evidence whatsoever to support the fact that they never had any plans (if there is, let me know). In fact, it would make a ton of sense for them to revive KK. It would be more money for them, having two parks operating.

Who said anything about not enjoying both parks? I'm just exceedingly happy that I can because this one wasn't gutted. Go back to page 228 of this very thread if you want to see just what kind of park the best case scenario for Kentucky Kingdom had in store with the Kochs in control. Actually some of the comments are uproariously funny given how things turned out.

Who said anything about not enjoying both parks? I'm just exceedingly happy that I can because this one wasn't gutted. Go back to page 228 of this very thread if you want to see just what kind of park the best case scenario for Kentucky Kingdom had in store with the Kochs in control. Actually some of the comments are uproariously funny given how things turned out.

The guy that said he hates holiday world because they were gonna do KK dirty that's what I needed to see. I now get his point. That would've been a pretty awful option compared to what they've got now.

The guy that said he hates holiday world because they were gonna do KK dirty

Oh yeah. That guy. LMAO. Kinda like the guy who used to be ACE's preservation director and refused to go to Cedar Fair parks because Geauga closed even after Kinzel and all his main guys left.

How bad are Sunday crowds at KK? Visiting this upcoming Sun for the first time.

If busy, do they offer a fast pass type offer? Interested to hear any tips for a first time visitor.

No they do not have any Fast Pass like system

Do the park from back to front

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How bad are Sunday crowds at KK? Visiting this upcoming Sun for the first time.

If busy, do they offer a fast pass type offer? Interested to hear any tips for a first time visitor.

I went yesterday, which was a Sunday, and I rode Thunder Run twice, Storm Chaser 4 times and Lightning Run 7 times. The water park was packed with hour long waits for the slides. We even had to wait for the lazy river. The dry park didn't have long lines though. I rode Thunder Run first thing on my way to SC. Then after I rode those rides enough I came to the front and did LR.

No wait in the dry park was more than 20 minutes. If you aren't doing the water park than you will have no problem. If you want to do the water park than I suggest doing that first.

Lighting Run's a decent coaster. I enjoy it, while also not understanding all of the hype that it gets around here. And yes, it's restraint system is the epitome of "Over Engineered" and as you said, even people with a more average body type have a difficult time with those restraints. Honestly, I can take or leave Lightning Run.

I feel similarly, at least as far at it being over-hyped. I still have it in my Top 30 (#30), which isn't bad at all, and makes it a very good coaster still. But after riding it 7 times in a day recently (including 5 in a row), I was more than ready to stop riding it. Storm Chaser? I rode it 20 times that day, and could have ridden it 20 more! THAT, was the definition of an amazing coaster, at least in my book!

And yeah, the LR restraints are ridiculous! I joked around with others that it was like being put in a prison cell getting into those contraptions! Oh, and for what it's worth, the restraints on Storm Chaser only bothered me 2 of 20 times, so I think it's just a matter of them being stapled, or coming down in the wrong place, randomly.

What's the parks policy for hip packs on the coasters? Do you have to take them off and put in a storage area or can you wear them?

Hip packs like fanny packs? You have to put them in the cubbies in the station.

I visited the park for the first time this past Sunday and had a good day overall! The out-of-state deal they are currently offering for $30 which includes two days of admission and free drinks was a nice surprise for my family. The drinks came in handy since it was around 100 degrees for the majority of the day. I stayed at the park the entire operating day (11 am - 8 pm):

Lightning Run: 4 rides----WOW! I was expecting this coaster to be good but it blew me out of the water! The first ride was in the middle and was great, however the back seat is extremely intense! Front row is great but the best seat for me was in the back. The first drop is great and feels bigger than 100 feet. The entire ride is intense but also full of laughs. The combination of ejector airtime and sharp turns is perfect. This coaster was my favorite at the park because I found it to be slightly more intense than Storm Chaser and I absolutely love the layout. The great drop, big airtime hill, set of turns and drops make for a greta first half of the ride and the ride only gets better with the finale of low tight s-turns and multiple low ejector airtime hills! This coaster is the jewel of the park in my opinion! I am a smaller rider so I did not have an issue with the restraints (I didn't on Storm Chaser either) and I didn't feel too stapled in. 9.25/10

Storm Chaser: 6 rides----The only other RMC I had been on was Wicked Cyclone and I expected to get a similar ride experience on Storm Chaser. The ride is similar in many ways but also different and feels like it's own ride, which is a good thing. The first drop barrel roll was a new coaster element for me and I enjoyed it. It felt strange the first ride but once I rode the coaster more I enjoyed it more. The first airtime hill...all I have to say is WOW! That thing ejects you out of the seat! I know a lot of people are comparing it to Maverick's airtime hill and I can see why. The first overbanked turn is great. The set of off-axis airtime hills and second overbanked turn was good, not great. I loved the zero-g roll as I felt completely waitless through it. The finale of the ride was actually much more enjoyable than I expected from watching videos and reading reviews. It is a bit strange but it is enjoyable and offers good airtime and laterals. My favorite seat was the front row as the ejector air is just insane! For me Storm Chaser was a very close second to Lighting Run. 9/10

Thunder Run: 2 rides---I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of roughness since the ride was retracted a few years ago. While rough it was still enjoyable and the first half of the ride was much more intense than I expected! The first turn after the drop and the few airtime hills immediately following it were the bests moments of the ride for me. I rode once in the back and got beat up a bit, but it wasn't too bad and by the time I got off the ride I felt fine. I wasn't able to ride in the front but I would assume that is the best seat on the side for smoothness and ejector airtime. 7/10

Roller Skater: 1 ---Typical kiddie coaster I rode just to get the credit. I will say that it was quite smooth compared to other kiddie coasters and surprisingly had "decent" speed heading into the brakes and station.

T3: 0 rides---This ride is located by the water park which probably contributed to it's long wait times the entire day. One train operation didn't hep either and since I have been on Mind Eraser at Six Flags New England I decided to sacrifice the credit to ride Lighting Run and Storm Chaser more.

Although it was a 45 minute wait (the longest of the day for me) I waited for Raging Rapids River Ride since I usually enjoy rapids rides. It was a good ride but I would've liked to get a bit more wet. I also rode the Skywatcher swings which were nice and relaxing with a nice breeze. The Angry Birds 5D ride was cheesy as expected and clearly targets younger kids, but it was still enjoyable and it was nice to have some air conditioning.

The water park was crowded as expected due to the heat. Wanting to ride the coasters more I only spent two hours in the waterpark towards the middle of the day. I was able to go around adventure river twice which was a lot of fun for me and my family. Castaway Creek lazy river was also fun although not as exciting. I also rode one tube slide of Conquistador Canyon which was fun but not worth the 30 minute wait. Wave Runner body slide was very enjoyable and thrilling as well. Unfortunately the two water park rides I was looking forward to most, Deep Water Dive and Deluge Water Coaster, had close to an hour wait each so I wasn't able to experience them. I could've sacrificed more time in the water park to get them done but with the short operating hours of the park I decided against it.

It was a great day and I had few complaints. One was simply that the layout of the park was a tad annoying with having to cross the street to go back and forth. Raging Rapids and T3 are awkwardly placed behind the waterpark which made those rides a pain to get to. Another complaint was that all the coasters were running one train. I was hoping that since it was a weekend they would at least run two trains on Storm Chaser and Lightning Run. Luckily operations were overall pretty good (except for the morning of Lightning Run) and crowds for the coasters were relatively short. The longest I waited for a coaster was 30 minutes for Lighting Run for the first ride of the day. I was actually shocked that Storm Chaser had such a short line all day and I suppose it's due to it's location in the park. My last complaint was that they closed the line for Lighting Run at 7:30 and it was about 20-25 minutes long. I showed up at 7:32 and wasn't able to get a last ride in. I understand each park has their own policies, but still it was a bummer.

I would highly recommend the park to anyway considering visiting it! Lighting Run and Storm Chaser are two world-class coasters and are by far the best two reasons to visit! Both are probably in the back-half of my top 10 steel coasters. I hope to get back to the park in a few years once they add the new mysterious RMC coaster.