TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Yes! This is the new speed that's made it so much more awesome!

I actually found T3 to be a lot less rough than Mind Eraser at SFNE.

Then Mind Eraser must be hell incarnate, because T3 made Thunderhawk look like a stroll in the park! (Except, without any actual head banging - just constant shaking!)

Why I only ever sit in the very back of the train, last two rows are safer seats. The rest... Eh.

I rode Storm Chaser yesterday, and it certainly felt faster than when I rode it for media day. The airtime on the double down is more abrupt and the helix does not feel sluggish at all. I also believe the rumor about the blue train being faster than the purple one, as I got to try both yesterday with noticeable differences between the two. I'd say that the overall intensity/airtime is more comparable to Wicked Cyclone for me than back in April. Far from weak, and much much much more intense for an RMC than Goliath ever wishes it could be.

I took a couple extra pictures as well just because new pictures are never a bad thing. Edit: adjusted the brightness on some of them.

DSC00697.thumb.JPG.10d55aa9dbeeac5d7c877cb91eac1f87.JPG

DSC00703.thumb.JPG.9e55491e559366f32ae1be266026512d.JPG

DSC00706.thumb.JPG.96e7349d225cd74c0c5dd499f694950d.JPG

DSC00708.thumb.JPG.5c050cfeb18d916a67d05bf145a45d08.JPG

DSC00710.thumb.JPG.cf10daaae1290f6e68bbaad58175aaf0.JPG

DSC00711.thumb.JPG.670fa14a80864cac3e0cae346a63f84e.JPG

DSC00715.thumb.JPG.6baea5286f34109d00699d3c0e6c8d55.JPG

DSC00716.thumb.JPG.c12ff131b85feda3a5d61b47de66bd51.JPG

Edited by Koasterking48

I also believe the rumor about the blue train being faster than the purple one, as I got to try both yesterday with noticeable differences between the two.

I know when I first heard about the two trains riding differently, I was skeptical... Not anymore! While the purple train is no doubt still one of the most intense and awesome coaster experiences I've had, it was very clear after just about splitting my 20 rides between the two trains that blue is just faster, and therefore, more forceful going through the elements! You notice this particularly clearly at the first airtime hill, and also the first overbank, where the speed there is just palpable!

My family and I are considering a trip over to KK some time soon. Possibly this weekend. Would it be completely insane tomorrow or manageable? I doubt this Sunday would be an option, but if it was, would it be a whole lot better than Saturday? Thanks in advance for the help

Between lightning Run and Storm Chaser, KK has an amazing coaster 1,2 punch. Lightning Run is a compact ejector beast. And the trick track double up on Storm Chaser is insane! I for one can vouch that it charges into the break run. And what a difference the ride makes from front to back. Both intense, floaty, ejector craziness! I was overwhelmed at how these rides complement each other. Hopefully KK can fill up that dead walk getting back to Storm Chaser with a few nice flat rides and some creative landscaping in the next few years.

What a great little park this has turned into under its new hands.

I'm still hoping that at some point in the not-too-distant future, Kentucky Kingdom gets something a little bit more to replace Chang with. Ed Hart has said previously that he wants a B&M and has also mentioned that he's in talks with RMC about a new coaster. T-Rex track, perhaps?

I went to my new home park, kentucky kingdom, for the first time since it reopened in 2014 and was very impressed overall. Here are my thoughts on many of the attractions and the overall park.

Storm Chaser- Ligtning run is superior in my opinion, however, storm chaser still delivers an intense ride packed with airtime and good laterals. The 1st camelback gives some of the strongest sustained ejector airtime I've experienced. The barrel roll drop is one of the most unique things I've experienced on a coaster. This is a great ride that fits into my list of favorite coasters. My expectations of RMC being the best thing on the planet probably made this ride slightly underwhelming.

Lightning run- Absolutely one of the most intense coasters I've ever ridden. Each time I rode in the back seat and received a ride with airtime that feels like it's ripping out your soul. It overall has better pacing than storm chaser because of it's extremely compact elements and awesome speed. The final bunny hops are absolutely the strongest airtime moments I've ever experienced. I consider this a top 3 coaster.

T3- Now for my first SLC, this ride could have been a great invert if not for the roughness.Ignoring the roughness the inversions were fast paced and forceful, but going through each inversion came with roughness comparable to many wooden coasters. The restraints prevented head banging, but got uncomfortably tight on my thighs. This coaster is a one and done type of ride due to the level of roughness.

Thunder run- this was a very fun woodie with some surprising moments of airtime. It had amp over average smoothness for a wooden coaster that is comparable to many gci's. The camelback had some really good sustained airtime. Overall this was a very fun and above average wooden coaster.

Fear fall- My second Larson drop tower, the drop was extremely intense and unpredictable as there was no pause at the top before the drop. Overall a great drop tower and one of the most intense ride experiences anywhere.

I rode other rides such as sky catcher and mile high falls butI have nothing to say about them as they are fairly average. I did not visit the waterpark so I can't say anything about the slides. Overall, kentucky kingdom has a large amount of great rides and looks much better than it did in its six flags days. My time there was fun and I would go back in a heartbeat.

If there was one major thing I'd hope the park would look into investing for the next few years, it would be purchasing more rafts for the Rapids River ride (and I guess eventually staffing more people to handle the larger volume). Often there were periods when only one raft was in the station and the rest were out on the course. A full queue for it looked to be over an hour wait (luckily it's partly shaded with fans, but not worth standing in 90+ degree weather like yesterday).

It's hard to count how many rafts are actually running on the ride, but it looked like 5, 6, or 7. I found a photo where there were probably at least 13 rafts at one point during the Six Flags days. Most of these raft rides were built to be people-eaters, so hopefully they can get up to something similar to this in the upcoming years.

Well, maybe the one that almost came off in my hand was already loosened, because I certainly didn't apply much force to it, certainly no more than is reasonable to expect when touching the seat of a coaster train you are stepping down into.

Are all RMC coaster trains' padding that fragile? I know another one on Storm Chaser almost came off in my hand when I was getting into a train!

I saw a piece of padding fall off directly in front of my face during the stall on Twisted Colossus on one of the preview days.

Do you all think it will be packed on Sunday due to the free admission for Fathers? I have a pass and would like to take my dad but if we will have to wait in insanely long lines than I'll pass on the opportunity.

Do you all think it will be packed on Sunday due to the free admission for Fathers? I have a pass and would like to take my dad but if we will have to wait in insanely long lines than I'll pass on the opportunity.

I think it was a moderate crowd on Mothers Day (not for sure but heard) I would expect a little more for Fathers Day, but it shouldnt be anything like Memorial Day [emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I was at the park for my first time today, and I was blown away! I was going into it expecting very little, but wow. They have awesome water park, my second favorite just behind Splashin' Safari (but who can beat that? ). I'll just talk about the coasters in depth here, but I also got on the weird blimp ride (don't know name), bumper cars, Fearfall (excellent drop tower. I love how it doesn't stop at the top, so you aren't ever fully sure when you'll drop), and a few other kids rides (most of our time was spent in the water park). Anyway, the reviews

Storm Chaserwas amazing. It jumped to my number one. I knew it was in my top ten after my first ride, but the about 10 other rides on the blue train sealed the deal. This was also my first RMC. I've heard all the rave about how awesome their coasters are and I figured, sure they're great but wow, I was amazed, especially if this is considered a weaker one, I can't even imagine the others. I loved every second of it. The helix felt a bit overkill, as it was just barely crawling through. Not like about to valley, but just a bit extra. But of course a longer ride is welcome the barrel roll drop is tied for best drop, along with Gatekeeper I'd say. The airtime was incredible. The back of my shirt kept coming up if I would sit forward at all. Amazing ride, I was a huge fan of it. 10/10

Lightning Runwas a very good ride as well. It probably lands around my top 20. It was just a bit short. Again, perfect airtime like Storm Chaser. Don't get me wrong, this was an amazing ride, but a bit short for it to be in my top 10. A big problem I had today was the dispatch times on this ride. They were atrocious. First ride, there was one girl who couldn't quit talking to her friend who was working the control panel. People would have their seat belts and lapbars already set before she would even stop talking and go check them. And she had the nerve to even walk all slow to go check seats She would make dispatch times around 3.5 minutes. Problem guy #2 couldn't quit talking to his friend working the other side of the train. Thankfully with him though, he would talk while checking seats. However, he would stop midway through the train and dance or flex or something. Have fun on your job, I get it, but atrocious dispatch times are not very fun. This guy wasn't near as bad and averaged about 2.5 minutes I'd say. 8.5/10

Thunder Run is a nice one and done ride. It was a solid woodie, but it just wasn't for me. There was one horrible jolt at the curve after the first drop that gave my younger sister's head a nice jolt right into the metal part of the train. Ouch. 6.5/10

I now understand the hate for SLCs after I rode T3. Like Storm Chaser, it was my first of that type of coaster; SLC. It was basically the opposite, I figured it couldn't be that bad but sweet Jesus this hurt your thighs. My mom and sisters all had marks on their thighs from where the restraint crushed down. Ouch part 2. Burn this to the ground and install a real B&M invert please and thank you. will give credits to the ops though, they were cranking trains out very quickly. 2/10

Overall, I was a big fan of this park. It felt like the equivalent of Holiday World for me. I had a great day and would definitely recommend this park to anyone. Sorry for the book, but just wanted to put this out there. Also gotta have SOMETHING to do on the 2 hour ride home

I was at the park for my first time today, and I was blown away! I was going into it expecting very little, but wow. They have awesome water park, my second favorite just behind Splashin' Safari (but who can beat that? ). I'll just talk about the coasters in depth here, but I also got on the weird blimp ride (don't know name), bumper cars, Fearfall (excellent drop tower. I love how it doesn't stop at the top, so you aren't ever fully sure when you'll drop), and a few other kids rides (most of our time was spent in the water park). Anyway, the reviews

Storm Chaserwas amazing. It jumped to my number one. I knew it was in my top ten after my first ride, but the about 10 other rides on the blue train sealed the deal. This was also my first RMC. I've heard all the rave about how awesome their coasters are and I figured, sure they're great but wow, I was amazed, especially if this is considered a weaker one, I can't even imagine the others. I loved every second of it. The helix felt a bit overkill, as it was just barely crawling through. Not like about to valley, but just a bit extra. But of course a longer ride is welcome the barrel roll drop is tied for best drop, along with Gatekeeper I'd say. The airtime was incredible. The back of my shirt kept coming up if I would sit forward at all. Amazing ride, I was a huge fan of it. 10/10

Lightning Runwas a very good ride as well. It probably lands around my top 20. It was just a bit short. Again, perfect airtime like Storm Chaser. Don't get me wrong, this was an amazing ride, but a bit short for it to be in my top 10. A big problem I had today was the dispatch times on this ride. They were atrocious. First ride, there was one girl who couldn't quit talking to her friend who was working the control panel. People would have their seat belts and lapbars already set before she would even stop talking and go check them. And she had the nerve to even walk all slow to go check seats She would make dispatch times around 3.5 minutes. Problem guy #2 couldn't quit talking to his friend working the other side of the train. Thankfully with him though, he would talk while checking seats. However, he would stop midway through the train and dance or flex or something. Have fun on your job, I get it, but atrocious dispatch times are not very fun. This guy wasn't near as bad and averaged about 2.5 minutes I'd say. 8.5/10

Thunder Run is a nice one and done ride. It was a solid woodie, but it just wasn't for me. There was one horrible jolt at the curve after the first drop that gave my younger sister's head a nice jolt right into the metal part of the train. Ouch. 6.5/10

I now understand the hate for SLCs after I rode T3. Like Storm Chaser, it was my first of that type of coaster; SLC. It was basically the opposite, I figured it couldn't be that bad but sweet Jesus this hurt your thighs. My mom and sisters all had marks on their thighs from where the restraint crushed down. Ouch part 2. Burn this to the ground and install a real B&M invert please and thank you. will give credits to the ops though, they were cranking trains out very quickly. 2/10

Overall, I was a big fan of this park. It felt like the equivalent of Holiday World for me. I had a great day and would definitely recommend this park to anyone. Sorry for the book, but just wanted to put this out there. Also gotta have SOMETHING to do on the 2 hour ride home

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you had a great time! I just arrived here in Louisville from Alabama, and I'll be visiting the park for my first time tomorrow. I'm beyond excited and I'm hoping for a great day. Hopefully, everyone will be at the water park. LOL.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, tykunkel1031! I agree with pretty much everything you said, based on my recent visit to KK! Storm Chaser was an absolutely amazing coaster, and while I currently have it at #5 after 20 rides, I think it could still move up the more I really think about it, and with repeated riding! LR was very good, but just didn't have the "wow" factor that SC did for me, and was more painful with repeated riding, surprisingly. Plus, those dispatch times... Still, a great coaster, a great park, and yes, the waterpark looked amazing, too! I just hope they are making enough money to keep running well, because it almost seems to me they are giving away the gate, so to speak, with all of their incredible deals!

I just hope they are making enough money to keep running well, because it almost seems to me they are giving away the gate, so to speak, with all of their incredible deals!

That's kind of what I was thinking! We got in for $30 each and got free drinks. And we have another ticket for tomorrow, which we unfortunately won't be using. But still, that's crazy cheap! I bet we spent a total of $30 today, as we just ate at around 2:00 and left around 6:30. I'm amazed they can afford to put in all of these new rides so frequently now.

Storm Chaser was an absolutely amazing coaster, and while I currently have it at #5 after 20 rides, I think it could still move up the more I really think about it, and with repeated riding! LR was very good, but just didn't have the "wow" factor that SC did for me, and was more painful with repeated riding, surprisingl

I completely agree. At first, I just really liked the ride, and then I rode it a ton of different times in different seats. I instantly fell in love and I couldn't get enough of it. The airtime is just out of this world all over the place, and the drop and zero-g thing were perfect to give you almost perfect weightlessness with a hint of laterals. We probably couldn't do Lightning Run re-rides because we sat out on the brakes for at least 15 minutes with your legs being crushed