TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Was at the park today

My list goes:

5. Terrible to the third power. (The name explains it all, won't ride it again, worse than other SLCs)

4. Roller Skater. (The best kids coaster I've been on, better than Mean Streak)

3. Thunder Run. (A fun woodie, but not very re-ridable)

2. Storm Chaser. (A great coaster, through the corked roll is phenomenal, the rest just fun)

1. Lightning Run. (Airtime+laterals)

SC and LR are both great. SC has a big elements that are a ton of fun. Lightning Run comes at you with everything, and is very quick with a bunch of small hills that send you flying.

Was at the park today

My list goes:

5. Terrible to the third power. (The name explains it all, won't ride it again, worse than other SLCs)

2. Storm Chaser. (A great coaster, through the corked roll is phenomenal, the rest just fun)

SC and LR are both great. SC has a big elements that are a ton of fun. Lightning Run comes at you with everything, and is very quick with a bunch of small hills that send you flying.

I'll be at KK on Wednesday. What order would you say is best for getting on all 5 coasters, plus Deluge and Deep Water Dive?

Was at the park today

My list goes:

I'll be at KK on Wednesday. What order would you say is best for getting on all 5 coasters, plus Deluge and Deep Water Dive?

Would definitely recommend hitting LR first, followed by TR and then the waterpark attractions. However, pending that two trains are running, Storm Chaser should probably be the last thing you ride due to a complete lack of crowds. T3 and Roller Skater's lines don't seem to change much though, and this is coming from someone who visits the park quite frequently, so you could basically ride those two whenever you want.

I was at the park yesterday (my first visit) and was able to get multiple rides on Storm Chaser with only a train or two wait, despite the park has a whole being packed (at least it seemed that way to me). I was shocked at how empty that area of the park was. I guess many don't know it's there or how to get to it. It was very odd. I was expecting it to have a 45-minute wait at the minimum.

If you plan to stay until the park is closed, stick around Storm Chaser at the last hour. If it's anything like my previous weekend there, it's walk-ons up until the minute the park closes!

All right. I had thought for sure Storm Chaser would need to be first, but if that's how it is, I can wait. I'm not planning to stay all the way until closing. I'll leave probably around 6 so I can drive to Kings Island and ride Beast. With Coastermania starting early on Friday, I'm going to have to leave KI before dark on Thursday to drive to Sandusky, which means Wed night is the only opportunity to ride Beast in the dark. Priorities.

When I left around 4:45 there were still about 100 people in line at the season pass center.

Hurricane Bay was very crowded today - long lines even just to get drinks, and I overheard quite a few complaints about concession stands being out of certain items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at KK on Sunday... Got to the park at open and was able to enjoy Storm Chaser as a walk on. Rode it four times before heading over to Lightning Run. Personally, Storm totally kills LR! LR was actually very painful for me due to the shin bars (I am 6'6") and each hill put a lot of pressure on my shin. By the end I was thankful it was over. Didn't have that issue with Storm Chaser even though the trains are similar. By the time we made it back to SC, ride was down and eventually reopened one train. Likely due to the slippage on the lift each time with one train which was interesting. Ride ops looked concerned each time it happened. Figured it eventually would be taken off. Even with one train though, only waited like 15mims for front seat for our fifth ride.

Couldn't believe how awesome SC was though. Insane air hill after hill. Completely nuts! Way better than Goliath (my only other RMC) and def a top coaster for me. Only part I didn't like was the double down before the final turn. A bit abrupt lol

Even though I had a terribly bad headache I decided I needed to get to the park to finally ride SC. I got a front seat ride with a friend who isn't an enthusiast but enjoys roller coasters. After watching the videos and hearing the reviews, I was expecting it to be a great ride that putters out at the end, but that was really not the case at all; this ride doesn't let up! Here's a little ride review from someone who was dealing with a splitting headache.

It could've been the headache messing with my perception but I swear after the bit of hang time at the beginning of the barrel roll drop there was a strong pop of air right before the finish. That first airtime hill is absolutely insane, and WTF, did we just get air entering that overbank turn? The bandana on my head certainly thought so. From there, none of my original perceptions panned out for this ride. The pops of air at the tops of the twisty hills were almost as intense as the first hill and I literally had to hold on to my head scarf to keep it from being ejected from the ride. The smaller overbank was nice and there was a nicer, less intense bit of air on the second normal hill. My friend loved the corked roll and I thought it was a nice change of pace from the previous elements, but what really stuck out for me was the ending. From the POV videos I was prepared for a tamer, slower ending with some mediocre to decent air time....I quickly learned hitting the first hill of the double up. My bandana detached itself from my cranium, and I had just enough time to grab it (my hands were already at the bandana's vertical destination). The top of the second hill provided a very nice pop of air, but the second hill of the double down almost forced the soul from my body. There was a very small dead spot right before entering the last overbank but it seemed like the train noticed the error and corrected itself to finish the overbank with quite a bit of steam and it flew up that last incline to deliver, gasp, airtime flying into the brakes!

Storm Chaser exceeded my expectations, and I cannot wait to get back there and spend a full day at the park. From the visit it seemed Kentucky Kingdom was very healthy in the attendance department. Storm Chaser, like Twisted Twins, really is in a dead spot. I think it'd be a good idea to focus on that area with a couple new additions to really pull people to that area.

Sorry for the wall of text.

I suspect that's what they're going to do, is invest in that area of the park more in the next couple of years. Like you said, it's pretty dead over there at the moment but there's plenty of space for some new rides. I can't help but think they have something in mind already for where the old dragsters use to be, otherwise why leave it so empty for so long?

I stopped by yesterday on my way through probably around 3:00. I haven't been since the SFKK days so was going to get my rides on LR and SC but the parking lot was full and I didn't have a lot of time so didn't bother as I had a long way to go. From other reports of short waits for SC, maybe I should have. But I know SC had 3 trains running. How long were lines on LR or Thunder Run?

I also noticed even at that time, the season's pass line was probably 100+ people long.

Rant: Wow the crotchety older woman at the parking booth was extremely rude. Unfortunately they work for the KFEC, not KK. I've always hated the whole set up (KFEC,shared parking,giant loop around the EC,park cut in two by said loop,height restrictions,waterpark in the middle of amusement park), but sure, it's better than a SBNO park.

^^^ You're brave for going to a theme park with a bad headache! For me and the way my headaches get, there is no way I'd be able to do that.

Same. We had to leave SDC early Sunday because of my headache.

Props to the OP for managing to seal with a headache and still be a trooper through coasters!!

Thanks guys, yeah I actually deal with some pretty severe ones, this was low-grade on my scale. It's a funny thing though, riding SC actually had it go away for about half an hour (I'm chalking it up to the adrenaline and the fact it'd been two years since I last rode a coaster). Hoping to go back this weekend and really experience the park. I was very happy to see grass under Lightning Run though...

I stopped by yesterday on my way through probably around 3:00. I haven't been since the SFKK days so was going to get my rides on LR and SC but the parking lot was full and I didn't have a lot of time so didn't bother as I had a long way to go. From other reports of short waits for SC, maybe I should have. But I know SC had 3 trains running. How long were lines on LR or Thunder Run?

I also noticed even at that time, the season's pass line was probably 100+ people long.

I was at the park Monday as well. Spent 2.5 hours there that morning then left to go celebrate Memorial Day with family. The season pass processing line was HUGE! Lots of folks getting in the $60 price before it goes up in less than a week. The park itself was also pretty busy, especially the water park. Lines weren't too horrid, though. LR ran 2 trains and had a roughly 25-30 minute wait with the line stretching near to the entrance of the queue. Thunder Run 's line didn't come out of the station, making for a 15 minute wait for front row.

Last note, the difference between the speed of SC on first week versus now is incredible! Each time I went back to the park, the coaster gained a little more speed. It now FLIES through the course! If you shot a new POV of it now and compared to media day POV's, you would easily see the difference, especially in the finale!

I'm curious as to how SC compares to other RMCs, has anyone that has ridden storm chaser also ridden any other ends?

I've ridden SC, NTaG, and IRat

Iron Rattler(1) is the best in my opinion with Storm Chaser(11) edging out New Texas Giant(13).