TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Okay, after some thought, I think I've come to a full conclusion to my thoughts on Storm Chaser and the park from Sunday.

My very first ride was in the second to last row of the train (can't remember which color), and I wasn't blow-away from it at first. I'm thinking it was because I'm so used to Lightning Run's intense airtime moments (especially riding backseat through the finale), so feeling something less than that had underwhelmed me a little initially.

However, the more times I rode it, the more I fell in love with what it DOES do and where it is! From my perspective, it's the smoothest and most comfortable roller coaster (aside from maybe Thunder Run) in the park! The airtime isn't "rip your torso in half" intense, but there's plenty of times where you're up against the restraints. That coupled with the hang-time from the first inversion drop, and the true-to-it's-definition zero-g second inversion makes it a pretty well-rounded roller coaster. I had loads of fun re-riding it, and had even more fun in the front rows of the coaster than I did the back. It's a very solid roller coaster that's sure to please a larger variety of folks. I'd even put it in a sort of Cheetah Hunt "family thrill" category thanks to its 48" height requirement!

The park really went out of their way to decorate and landscape the plaza area of Storm Chaser, as well as make some minor additions throughout the park. one of which included one of those basketball 3-pointer challenge games right under T3, which is neat to stop and see people make/miss shots as well as see the coaster make its rounds!

And as a side-note, the new Angry Birds attraction in the 5D theater is easily the best they've ever had in there! Better than Rio in 2014 and Wizard of Oz last year. It's incredibly wacky, borderline thrilling at moments, and has lots of visuals that take advantage of the fact it's played in 3D and makes great use of the fans already installed. I REALLY recommend people to go see it whenever they're at the park!

While the changes aren't huge (apart from the new coaster!), the park is again better this year and continues to get better and cleaner. The only big negative I saw for this year was not seeing fried chicken on the menu at Swampwater Jacks. That was really good chicken...

2S8A5651(Edited)(800x).jpg.bec943b25774cfeb1de071d254fe2367.jpg

Entrance to the plaza

2S8A5623(Edited)(800x).jpg.b2c927df7d9d6dbe8c604b23d2b313d0.jpg

Storm Chaser plaza with fresh plants!

2S8A5700(Edited)(800x).jpg.f3e0fa7f904f4c52707b4abba07a037a.jpg

A quirky, but wild show!

2S8A5725(Edited)(800x).jpg.5d8fa36d31cd7c2ecc7c2b3b15e71321.jpg

Storm Chasing through the big overbank in the distance.

T3 was actually even worse than I remembered. It's the same old T2, shuffling around like crazy, just replace the headbanging with a lap restraint that stabs painfully into your thighs. There's no reason to ride this more than once.

I'm not sure if I just don't remember how it rode last year, and I hate to admit it, but T3 did feel a little rougher than it did last year... I'm not sure how, but the jerking on it was more noticeable, even in the back seats (the safe seats).

wondering if some one would do a more in depth comparison between LR and SC. I still maintain that if Lightning run was scaled up to the size of a 200 foot coaster and a tad bit longer, it would probably be my favorite.

wondering if some one would do a more in depth comparison between LR and SC. I still maintain that if Lightning run was scaled up to the size of a 200 foot coaster and a tad bit longer, it would probably be my favorite.

I'm not one to go super in depth honestly, but here's how I look at the two.

Lightning Run is fast, well-paced, and frantic. The airtime gradually increases in intensity by the final few hills, and the laterals are more noticeable. Also, the low-to-the-ground slalom turns are a fun part of the ride as well. LR pretty much feels and rides just like an RMC, except for the weird seat backs. Lightning Run has the con of feeling less complete compared to Storm Chaser by having a more abrupt ending.

Storm Chaser is intense, twisted, and has better/more intense ejector airtime. The first 3/4ths of the ride are where it shines. The barrel roll drop is one-of-a-kind in the U.S. The first major airtime hill is the best RMC airtime moment I've experienced (having ridden this, Wicked Cyclone, Outlaw Run, and Goliath), with sustained ejector air. The other airtime hills are typical abrupt bursts similar to WC. The laterals on the off-axis airtime hills are fantastic, as its throwing you out of your seat. However, like I said, the ride does lose quite a bit of speed after the corked roll. So the ending is more coasting through rather than slamming the brakes like LR.

I'd say overall, I'd give the slight edge to Storm Chaser since it feels more complete, but it really can go back and forth. Both rides are excellent in their own way.

When you guys talk about a "corked roll", are you referring to a corkscrew?

No, Storm Chaser has an element called a Corked Roll. It's like a mix of a corkscrew and a Zero G roll.

I'm not one to go super in depth honestly, but here's how I look at the two.

Lightning Run is fast, well-paced, and frantic. The airtime gradually increases in intensity by the final few hills, and the laterals are more noticeable. Also, the low-to-the-ground slalom turns are a fun part of the ride as well. LR pretty much feels and rides just like an RMC, except for the weird seat backs. Lightning Run has the con of feeling less complete compared to Storm Chaser by having a more abrupt ending.

Storm Chaser is intense, twisted, and has better/more intense ejector airtime. The first 3/4ths of the ride are where it shines. The barrel roll drop is one-of-a-kind in the U.S. The first major airtime hill is the best RMC airtime moment I've experienced (having ridden this, Wicked Cyclone, Outlaw Run, and Goliath), with sustained ejector air. The other airtime hills are typical abrupt bursts similar to WC. The laterals on the off-axis airtime hills are fantastic, as its throwing you out of your seat. However, like I said, the ride does lose quite a bit of speed after the corked roll. So the ending is more coasting through rather than slamming the brakes like LR.

I'd say overall, I'd give the slight edge to Storm Chaser since it feels more complete, but it really can go back and forth. Both rides are excellent in their own way.

I'll have to find a way to get back to the park. Thanks for the insight!

Can't wait to finally get to Kentucky Kingdom tomorrow to ride Storm Chaser!

Question for anyone that made it to the park last weekend, did anyone notice a difference in speeds on the purple/blue train?

No

Question for anyone that made it to the park last weekend, did anyone notice a difference in speeds on the purple/blue train?

Yes. There is a 0.000000000897 MPH between the two.

Looks Like I won't make it today, hopefully tomorrow. I'll try to get some photos of the park.

Storm Chaser feels somewhat faster than it did last weekend. It's a small difference, but it doesn't "crawl" through the last element anymore. Front row even gets a pop of airtime on the last hop into the brake run!

T3 was actually even worse than I remembered. It's the same old T2, shuffling around like crazy, just replace the headbanging with a lap restraint that stabs painfully into your thighs. There's no reason to ride this more than once.

I'm not sure if I just don't remember how it rode last year, and I hate to admit it, but T3 did feel a little rougher than it did last year... I'm not sure how, but the jerking on it was more noticeable, even in the back seats (the safe seats).

I take this back, one train rides smoother than the other.

Trump is way too old to be riding coasters. He's only five years younger than Bernie! No way he will do this.

Does he have some kind of heart condition? In that case he totally needs to do this, for the good of the country.