TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

On an interview with coaster force Ed Hart said that they are looking to do another coaster with RMC.

My thoughts are that it could be the Raptor track. With a 150 ft height limit and minimal room for expansion that seems like the right fit.

Is there a reason the park was so empty this weekend? I assume next week will also be pretty quiet with the Derby? I want to see them do well with such nice investments!

The weather forecast was bleak, but I'm not sure if it was as bad as predicted. It may have kept some people away (I was considering making the trip back until I saw the likelihood of a washout). I know there were also Derby-related festivities this weekend. I'm sure it will pick up once the water park opens (May 28) and schools let out for the summer.

Went to the Park today, for a few hours. Rode all the Coasters, Storm Chaser is a Freakin Blast. Loved the first drop and the Corkscrew the best. Can't wait to ride it more this Summer.

On an interview with coaster force Ed Hart said that they are looking to do another coaster with RMC.

My thoughts are that it could be the Raptor track. With a 150 ft height limit and minimal room for expansion that seems like the right fit.

I don't know, the raptor layout looks too similar to lightning run and storm chaser. Plus the raptor track coaster has 1 seat per row and that would make for some terrible capacity. I don't think KK would invest in a third compact, low to the ground, airtime centered coaster.

I don't know, the raptor layout looks too similar to lightning run and storm chaser. Plus the raptor track coaster has 1 seat per row and that would make for some terrible capacity. I don't think KK would invest in a third compact, low to the ground, airtime centered coaster.

I realize that I haven't been to Kentucky Kingdom so I -technically- can't talk but my biggest concern about Storm Chaser was that it would end up being too similar to Lightning Run. If they were going to build a third Rocky Mountain / Ride Centerline coaster I would hope that it would be pretty different from those two.

Hypothetically let's assume kentucky kingdom receives the raptor track layout as their next coaster, it provides a short, compact layout with twisty airtime similar to lightning run. The lift for the coaster is 80 ft, so it's even smaller than lightning run. The only new element on the raptor layout is a barrel roll at the end of the ride. That alone doesn't seem to justify building this in my opinion. Kentucky kingdom needs a different type of coaster in my opinion. Whether it's completely inversion oriented, a family coaster, a launch coaster (etc) just some variety.

I realize that I haven't been to Kentucky Kingdom so I -technically- can't talk but my biggest concern about Storm Chaser was that it would end up being too similar to Lightning Run. If they were going to build a third Rocky Mountain / Ride Centerline coaster I would hope that it would be pretty different from those two.

Yea, I was thinking that same thing as I was leaving the park today. Both coasters are very similar, very intense, lots of crazy airtime. Maybe something like Verbolten or Cobra's Curse would be a nice contrasting addition.

But I think the park is doing some great things right now. I'd like them to see some more flats the next year or so before adding in another coaster.

This era is an exact repeat of the 90s when Hart was first running KK. He went on a spree and added t2, Chang, and twisted twins within a span of a couple of years between each other. It shows how he likes to aggressively spend and his philosophy of "they'll come if you build."

my biggest concern about Storm Chaser was that it would end up being too similar to Lightning Run.

Even though they kind of have similar design styles (lots of airtime, weird banking, etc), when you're riding you can definitely tell them apart. Storm Chaser feels a lot snappier, with it's rapid roll changes and airtime pops. Lightning Run feels much more graceful in its force and roll applications, if you will. If you didn't know, you wouldn't guess based off of how they feel that they were designed by the same company.

On another note, only the purple train was running during media day, and apparently that train is running significantly slower than the blue train. Looks like I'll have to head down to ride it again to see if I think the ending is just as awkward. Oh no

my biggest concern about Storm Chaser was that it would end up being too similar to Lightning Run.

Even though they kind of have similar design styles (lots of airtime, weird banking, etc), when you're riding you can definitely tell them apart. Storm Chaser feels a lot snappier, with it's rapid roll changes and airtime pops. Lightning Run feels much more graceful in its force and roll applications, if you will. If you didn't know, you wouldn't guess based off of how they feel that they were designed by the same company.

I spent the whole day at the park today. I can agree that the rolls on Storm Chaser are more sudden, but I also thought Storm Chaser's airtime moments were far more graceful than Lightning Run's. There's a VERY noticeable difference between both, with Storm Chaser being a much more comfortable ride than LR.

Storm Chaser was an epic roller coaster! The front seat ended up being my favorite due to the airtime moments being more sudden than the back, plus the front seats had hang-time on the barrel roll first drop! It's also smooth to the point I would have NO problem marathoning! No concerns from me about the finale.

Is there a reason the park was so empty this weekend? I assume next week will also be pretty quiet with the Derby? I want to see them do well with such nice investments!

This might have been the reason why:

2S8A5683(Edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.a85264164ff47dcb4a9da7c88c85ce4e.jpg

I'm sill sifting through photos I shot today.

Saturday saw some pretty heavy rainfall, and today (Sunday) was a close call with bad storms (and still a lot of rainfall). Enough to close the park two hours early, even. But all the bad weather was in the second-half of the day. The first half... you couldn't ask for more gorgeous weather!

Edited by Midgetman82

Hmm.. Do you think the park will add anything in the field the gravel maintence road under the second airtime hill leads into? There is a ton of space, and would be even more if they got rid of that weird rectangular pad. Also, do you think they would connect the path behind Thunder Run to Storm Chaser's plaza?

Hmm.. Do you think the park will add anything in the field the gravel maintence road under the second airtime hill leads into? There is a ton of space, and would be even more if they got rid of that weird rectangular pad. Also, do you think they would connect the path behind Thunder Run to Storm Chaser's plaza?

The one that goes around Thunder Run's big U-turn and past the old dragstrip? They did open it!